How Do You Incorporate Mass into the Biot-Savart Law Formula?

• Thread starter kodiac9
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is about a lab involving a magnetic balance and a formula that is a derivative of the Biot-Savart law. The formula is F=(u x i2 x l)/(2 x (pi) x d), where u is a constant. The task is to transform the formula to include mass (m) and the given data includes the length of the string and its volumic mass. The equation to be used is F=(u x I2 x l)/(2 x (pi) x d), where I is the new variable representing mass. The solution to this task is unknown and the conversation ends with a request for help.
kodiac9

Homework Statement

ok i have a lab w a magnetic balance (where u have weight on one side and electrical magnetism on the other) and its using a law :

F=(u x i2 x l)/(2 x (pi) x d)

were i is intensity, l is length of hte conductors, separated by a distance d, u is 4π×10-7 kg·m·A-2·s-2

this is a derivative of biot savart law

now they are asking me to transform the formula to have I2/m (m is mass

how do i do this?

oh and my data is

1 length of string is 5cm long and has a volumic mass of 0.14567 g/m

# of 5 cm lenghts / i
1 2.48
2 4.39
3 4.92
4 5.66
5 5.88
6 6.81
7 7.41
8 7.87

Homework Equations

F=(u x i2 x l)/(2 x (pi) x d)

The Attempt at a Solution

no idea

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
? anyone?..

I would suggest breaking down the problem and using the given data to solve it. First, let's review the Biot-Savart Law:

F = (μ0/4π) * (I1 * I2 * L) / r^2

where μ0 is the permeability of free space, I1 and I2 are the currents of the two conductors, L is the length of the conductors, and r is the distance between the conductors.

To transform this formula to include mass, let's start by looking at the given data. We know that the length of the string is 5cm long and has a volumic mass of 0.14567 g/m. This means that for every 1 meter of string, the mass is 0.14567 grams.

Now, let's look at the given formula and see where we can incorporate mass. We can see that there is an "I2" term, which represents the current of the second conductor. We also know that current is equal to charge per unit time (I = Q/t), and charge is equal to mass times acceleration (Q = m*a). Therefore, we can rewrite the formula as:

F = (μ0/4π) * ((m*a)/t * I2 * L) / r^2

Next, we can use the given data to find the mass of the string for each length. Using the given density of 0.14567 g/m, we can calculate the mass for each length:

1 length: 0.14567 g/m
2 lengths: 2 x 0.14567 g/m = 0.29134 g/m
3 lengths: 3 x 0.14567 g/m = 0.43701 g/m
4 lengths: 4 x 0.14567 g/m = 0.58268 g/m
And so on...

Now, we can plug in these values into the formula:

F = (μ0/4π) * ((0.14567 g/m * a)/t * I2 * L) / r^2

Finally, we can simplify the formula by combining constants and rearranging terms:

F = (μ0 * 0.14567/t * L * I2) / (4π * r^2)

This formula now includes the mass (m) in terms of acceleration (a) and

Related to How Do You Incorporate Mass into the Biot-Savart Law Formula?

1. What is the Biot-Savart law?

The Biot-Savart law is a fundamental law of electromagnetism that describes the magnetic field created by a current-carrying wire. It states that the magnetic field at a certain point is directly proportional to the current, the length of the wire, and the sine of the angle between the wire and the point. This law is used to calculate the magnetic field strength in various situations, including in solenoids, loops, and wires.

2. How is the Biot-Savart law derived?

The Biot-Savart law is derived from the principle of superposition in calculus and is based on experimental observations of magnetic fields created by current-carrying wires. It was first formulated by French physicists Jean-Baptiste Biot and Félix Savart in the early 19th century.

3. What are the applications of the Biot-Savart law?

The Biot-Savart law has a wide range of applications in electromagnetism and is used in various fields such as physics, engineering, and geophysics. It is used to calculate the magnetic field of electric motors, generators, and transformers, as well as in understanding the Earth's magnetic field. It is also used in studying the behavior of charged particles in electric and magnetic fields and in the design of magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) machines.

4. Are there any limitations to the Biot-Savart law?

While the Biot-Savart law is accurate in most situations, there are some limitations to its application. It assumes a steady current flow and does not account for the effects of changing electric fields. It also does not take into account the effects of magnetic materials or non-linear currents. In these situations, more complex equations and models may be needed to accurately calculate the magnetic field.

5. Can the Biot-Savart law be used to calculate the magnetic field of a 3D current-carrying object?

The Biot-Savart law is limited to calculating the magnetic field of 2D current-carrying objects, such as wires or loops. For 3D objects, the law can be applied by breaking the object down into smaller 2D segments and calculating the magnetic field at a point due to each segment. However, this can become quite complex and there are other methods, such as using Ampere's law, that may be more efficient in such cases.