How Do You Input Numbers in C Programming?

• Thread starter number0
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Programming
In summary, the conversation discusses the need for a command in the program language C that enables the user to input numerical values. Various suggestions are made, such as using scanf() or researching through the C standard libraries. It is also mentioned that the console function _cgets() is not functional in Visual Studio since 2005.
number0
Hello,

I just started taking a computer science course involving the program language c. I was wondering if anyone know the command that enables the user to type in a numerical input into the program.

For example:

1. The user runs the program "Math Wizard."

2. The program displays the sentence in printf "What is 2 + 2 equal to?"

3. Then the user gets to type in the value (hopefully 4). <--- I am stuck here because I do not know the command in c that will enable the user to type in a numerical value (or characters) of some sort into the program.

Another example would be in c++. The command "cin" will get the user input. I am looking for a command that is exactly like "cin" but for c not c++.

Can anyone please help me? Thank you in advance.

Technology news on Phys.org
You should post this in the homework area. And if you know how to do it in c++, then read the c++ documentation and it will tell you how it is done in C. Or go through the C standard libs.

Try a Google search on "keyboard input in c".

You probably want to use scanf() or some variation of it.

Note that the console function to input a line of data, _cgets(), is broken in Visual Studio since version 2005. _cgetws() is supposed to work if you want to use that.

I am not an expert in computer science or programming languages, but I can offer some advice. In C, the command for user input is "scanf()" which allows the program to read in user input from the keyboard. It is used in conjunction with the "printf()" command to display a prompt for the user to enter their input. For example, in your "Math Wizard" program, the code could look something like this:

#include <stdio.h>

int main() {

int num1, num2, sum;

// Prompt user to enter first number
printf("Enter the first number: ");

// Read in user input and store it in num1
scanf("%d", &num1);

// Prompt user to enter second number
printf("Enter the second number: ");

// Read in user input and store it in num2
scanf("%d", &num2);

// Calculate the sum
sum = num1 + num2;

// Display the result
printf("The sum is: %d", sum);

return 0;
}

I hope this helps you with your programming in C. Good luck with your course!

FAQ: How Do You Input Numbers in C Programming?

What is programming in C?

Programming in C is a computer programming language that was created in the 1970s by Dennis Ritchie. It is a high-level, general-purpose language that is widely used for developing operating systems, compilers, and other system software. C is known for its efficiency, speed, and ability to access low-level system resources.

Is C a difficult programming language to learn?

C can be considered a moderately difficult programming language to learn. It requires a good understanding of fundamental programming concepts and syntax, and it can be challenging for beginners due to its low-level nature. However, with practice and dedication, anyone can learn to program in C.

What are some common uses for C programming?

C is commonly used for system programming, such as developing operating systems, device drivers, and embedded systems. It is also used for developing high-performance applications, such as video games and other graphics-intensive software. Additionally, many programming languages are built with C, making it an essential language for software development.

What are the advantages of programming in C?

C is known for its speed and efficiency, making it a popular choice for developing high-performance applications. It also allows for direct access to hardware and low-level system resources, providing developers with greater control over their programs. Additionally, C has a large and active community, making it easy to find resources and support for programming in C.

Are there any downsides to programming in C?

One of the main downsides of programming in C is its low-level nature, which can be challenging for beginners. It also lacks some modern features and libraries found in other programming languages, making certain tasks more complex. Additionally, due to its direct access to low-level system resources, C is more susceptible to security vulnerabilities, which must be carefully managed by developers.

Back