How Do You Integrate a Product of Bessel Functions with Polynomial Denominators?

• MHB
  • Thread starter oh20elyf
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integral
In summary, the conversation is about struggling to find the antiderivative of a function involving Bessel functions. The context is finding a formula for calculating acceleration from pavement deflections. The question is whether there is a better way to find the second derivative with respect to x. The answer is to differentiate the first Bessel function twice with respect to x.
oh20elyf
I am struggling to find the antiderivative of the following function:[tex]f(x)=\frac{J_{0}(ax)J_{1}(bx) }{x+x^{4} }
\\
J_{0},{~}J_{1} : Bessel{~}function{~}of{~}the{~}first{~}kind\\
a, b: constants
\\
F(x)=\int_{}^{} \! f(x) \, dx =?[/tex]Who can help?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
oh20elyf said:
I am struggling to find the antiderivative of the following function:[tex]f(x)=\frac{J_{0}(ax)J_{1}(bx) }{x+x^{4} }
\\
J_{0},{~}J_{1} : Bessel{~}function{~}of{~}the{~}first{~}kind\\
a, b: constants
\\
F(x)=\int_{}^{} \! f(x) \, dx =?[/tex]Who can help?

What is the context of the question? Should the answer be in terms of the Bessel function?

ZaidAlyafey said:
What is the context of the question? Should the answer be in terms of the Bessel function?

Ok so the root of my problem is that i have a formula to calculate pavement deflections from traffic loads, which is the following:

[tex]d(x)=\int_0^\infty \! \frac{J_{0}(atx)J_{1}(bt)}{t+t^{4} } \, d t[/tex]

a,b: constants
x: distance from load centre

Now i want to find a formula to calculate the acceleration. I have to find the second derivative of the above formula with respect of 'x'.

To do so i thought i had to get rid of the integral at first, by finding the antiderivative with respect of 't' of the equation first to be able to differentiate with respect of 'x' twice. Is there a better way to find:

[tex]\frac{d^2d(x)}{dx^2}=?[/tex]

Last edited:
Well, the only place the $x$ shows up is in the first Bessel function inside the integral. It's not even present in the limits of the integral. So, just differentiate that first Bessel function twice with respect to $x$, and you're done.

Related to How Do You Integrate a Product of Bessel Functions with Polynomial Denominators?

1. What is an integral Besselfunction?

An integral Besselfunction is a mathematical function used to solve a variety of problems in physics and engineering, particularly in the study of wave phenomena. It is a special type of Bessel function that involves integration instead of differentiation.

2. How is an integral Besselfunction different from a regular Bessel function?

A regular Bessel function involves differentiation of a Bessel function, while an integral Besselfunction involves integration of a Bessel function. This difference leads to different properties and applications of the two types of functions.

3. What are some common applications of integral Besselfunctions?

Integral Besselfunctions are commonly used in solving problems related to wave propagation, such as in acoustics, electromagnetics, and fluid dynamics. They are also used in solving boundary value problems in mathematical physics and in signal processing.

4. How do I find the value of an integral Besselfunction?

The value of an integral Besselfunction can be found using numerical methods or by using tables of values. It can also be expressed in terms of other special functions, such as the hypergeometric function.

5. Are there any special properties of integral Besselfunctions?

Yes, integral Besselfunctions have a number of special properties, including orthogonality, recurrence relations, and asymptotic behavior. These properties make them useful in solving various mathematical problems and make them a topic of study in their own right.