How Do You Integrate Complex Functions with Fractional Powers?

In summary, the conversation discusses the struggle to integrate a complex integral involving a tempered stable Levy process and a convoluted subordinator. The goal is to compute the characteristic function of the process, but the presence of a fractional term complicates the integration. One participant suggests simplifying the problem by dropping the positive part of a function and using a substitution, but admits that there may not be a closed form solution.
cernlife
I'm struggling to work out how to integrate the following

[tex]\int_0^t(\gamma^{1/\kappa}-i\zeta{w}(1-t/s)_+^{H-1/2})^{\kappa}ds[/tex]

here (.)_+ denotes the positive part

if I did not have the ^(H-1/2) I can do it, alas it does have it! and so it stumps me on how to evaluate this integral.

any advice much appreciated

Physics news on Phys.org
sorry, it was meant to be (1-s/t)_+ that was a typo...

although I did enter it correctly into Mathematica...

basically what I am looking at is a theorem from the paper "fractional tempered stable motion" and also work from the paper "Integrating volatility clustering into exponential Levy models"which states that a convoluted subordinator is defined as

[tex]X_t = \int_0^t G(t,s)dL(s)[/tex]

which a theorem then states that if [tex]L(s)[/tex] is a tempered stable Levy process the [tex]X_t[/tex] is also tempered stable. where G(t.s) is some kernal of volterra type.

basically, the characteristic function of [tex]X_t[/tex] can then be computed by

[tex]E[e^{i\zeta{X_t}}]=e^{\int_0^t \psi(\zeta G(t,s))ds}[/tex]

where [tex]\psi(\zeta)[/tex] is the cumulant generating function, which for the tempered stable is defined as

[tex]\psi(\zeta)=\gamma\delta-\delta(\gamma^{1/\kappa}-2i\zeta)^{\kappa}[/tex]

now chosing the kernal to be adamped version of the fractional Holmgren-Liouville integral, i.e

[tex]G_H(t,s)=\frac{H+1/2}{E[L(1)]}\left(1-\frac{s}{t}\right)_+^{H-1/2}[/tex]

I am then left with trying to work out the following integral

[tex]\int_0^t \gamma\delta-\delta(\gamma^{1/\kappa}-2i(\zeta\frac{H+1/2}{E[L(1)]}\left(1-\frac{s}{t}\right)_+^{H-1/2}))^{\kappa}ds[/tex]

let [tex]w=\frac{H+1/2}{E[L(1)]}[/tex] and pull out what we can from the front of the integral, I then have

[tex]\gamma\delta{t}-\delta\int_0^t (\gamma^{1/\kappa}-2i\zeta{w}\left(1-\frac{s}{t}\right)_+^{H-1/2})^{\kappa}ds[/tex]

which is what I need to integrate, and is where I am not sure at all where to start...

any reply's, much appreciated.

By 'the positive part of f' do you mean 0 when f is negative and f when f is positive? In which case, you can drop the '+' entirely, and the put x=1-s/t. What you're left with will be something like
[tex]\int_0^1 \mathrm{d}x(1-iAx^\alpha)^\beta[/tex]
for which I don't think there'll be a nice closed form solution in general. Wolfram Alpha gives the answer as a hypergeometric function.

FAQ: How Do You Integrate Complex Functions with Fractional Powers?

1. What is a complex integral?

A complex integral is a mathematical concept that involves integrating a function over a complex plane. It is a generalization of the concept of integration in real analysis, which involves integrating over a one-dimensional real line. Complex integrals are often used in physics, engineering, and other fields to solve problems involving complex variables.

2. How do you evaluate a complex integral?

To evaluate a complex integral, you can use techniques such as the Cauchy integral theorem, Cauchy's integral formula, or the residue theorem. These techniques involve manipulating the function being integrated to simplify it into a form that can be easily integrated. It is important to have a good understanding of complex analysis and its various theorems to effectively evaluate complex integrals.

3. What are some common applications of complex integrals?

Complex integrals have a wide range of applications in many fields, including physics, engineering, and mathematics. They are used to solve problems in areas such as fluid dynamics, electromagnetism, and quantum mechanics. They are also used in signal processing and control systems to analyze and design complex systems.

4. What are the challenges involved in evaluating complex integrals?

Evaluating complex integrals can be challenging because they involve working with complex numbers and functions. This can make it difficult to visualize and understand the problem at hand. Additionally, there are various techniques and theorems that can be used to evaluate complex integrals, and it can be challenging to determine which one is most appropriate for a given problem.

5. How can complex integrals be used to solve real-world problems?

Complex integrals can be used to solve a wide range of real-world problems, such as calculating electric potential in a circuit or determining fluid flow patterns in a pipe. They can also be used to analyze and design complex systems, such as control systems or communication networks. By using complex integrals, scientists and engineers can model and understand complex phenomena, leading to advancements in technology and other fields.