How Do You Integrate the Square of dx/dt?

In summary, the conversation is about a person seeking help with an integral problem, specifically \int\left(\frac{dx}{dt}\right)^{2}dt=? They mention having a mind blank and not being able to work out the problem properly. Another person suggests writing the integral as \int \frac{dx}{dt} \frac{dx}{dt} dt instead. However, the first person is still unsure of how to handle the problem and mentions that the answer depends on how x depends on t.
raisin_raisin
Hey, not really homework but I am just having a total mind blank and would be grateful if someone could help me.
[tex]\int\left(\frac{dx}{dt}\right)^{2}dt=?[/tex]
I even have the answer my brain is just refusing to play along though and I just can't picture how to work it out properly at the moment.
Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
try writing it as

[tex]\int \frac{dx}{dt} \frac{dx}{dt} dt[/tex]instead.

rock.freak667 said:
try writing it as

[tex]\int \frac{dx}{dt} \frac{dx}{dt} dt[/tex]

instead.
Thanks for your reply.
In that case I don't have brain freeze I just don't know. I just want to cancel the dt's but then
I get
[tex]\int \frac{dx}{dt}dx[/tex]
which I don't know how to handle.

It's not the sort of an expression where you can eliminate the t dependence. The answer depends on how x depends on t. E.g. if x(t)=t^2, then it's an easy elementary integral, if x(t)=e^(t^2), it's not an elementary integral.

Related to How Do You Integrate the Square of dx/dt?

1. How do I approach solving a mathematical mystery?

The first step in solving a mathematical mystery is to carefully read and understand the problem. Take note of any given information and identify what is being asked. Then, try to break down the problem into smaller, more manageable parts.

2. What are some common strategies for solving mathematical mysteries?

Some common strategies for solving mathematical mysteries include using logical reasoning, making a list or table, drawing diagrams or models, and working backwards from the solution.

3. How can I check my work when solving a mathematical mystery?

One way to check your work is to use estimation. This involves using approximate values to see if your answer is reasonable. You can also try plugging your answer back into the original problem to see if it works.

4. What should I do if I get stuck while solving a mathematical mystery?

If you get stuck, take a break and come back to the problem later with a fresh perspective. You can also try working with a partner or asking a teacher or tutor for help. Sometimes, approaching the problem from a different angle can also help.

5. Are there any tips for improving my problem-solving skills?

Yes, some tips for improving your problem-solving skills include practicing regularly, breaking down problems into smaller steps, and trying different methods and strategies. It's also important to stay organized and keep track of your work.

Back