How Do You Integrate These Challenging Double Integrals?

In summary, the person is asking for help with integrating two different integrals, one with a missing variable and one involving the sine of a squared variable. They provide the integrals and their attempts at solving them, and ask for assistance with the integration process.
hytuoc
Plz help me integrating the integral below...I did it to a certain point and got stuck...here is the integral and what I did:
1)
Integral form 0 to pi/2, integral from 0 to a*sin(2*theta), [ r ]dr dtheta
Inner integral: Int from 0 to a*sin(2theta) [(r^2)/2] dr = [a^2 * (sin(2 theta))^2 ] / 2
Outer integral: Int from 0 to pi/2 [a^2 * (sin(2 theta))^2 ] / 2] dtheta
...this is when I don't know how to integrate...please show me!

2)
Integral from 0 to pi/2, integral from 0 to 1 [sin(r^2)]dr dtheta...how do I integrate this? (how do I integrate sin(r^2)?)
Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
In the 2) exercise,u're missing "r" from the surface element in polar plane coordinates.That "r" should ease your calculations.

As for the first,write it like that.Denote it by J:
[tex] J=a\int_{0}^{\frac{\pi}{2}} \sin 2\theta \ d\theta \int_{0}^{a} r \ dr [/tex]

And now integrate.

Daniel.

Last edited:

1) To continue solving the double integral, we can use the substitution u = sin(2theta) to simplify the inner integral. This will give us:

Inner integral: Int from 0 to a*sin(2theta) [(r^2)/2] dr = [u^2 * a^2] / 4

Now, we can substitute this into the outer integral:

Outer integral: Int from 0 to pi/2 [a^2 * (sin(2 theta))^2 ] / 2] dtheta = Int from 0 to pi/2 [u^2 * a^2] / 4 dtheta

Using the power rule for integration, we can solve this integral to get:

Int from 0 to pi/2 [u^2 * a^2] / 4 dtheta = [a^2 * u^3] / 12 from 0 to pi/2 = [a^2 * (sin(2 theta))^3] / 12 from 0 to pi/2 = [a^2 * (1)^3 - a^2 * (0)^3] / 12 = a^2 / 12

Therefore, the final solution for the double integral is a^2 / 12.

2) To integrate sin(r^2), we can use the substitution u = r^2. This will give us:

Integral from 0 to pi/2, integral from 0 to 1 [sin(r^2)]dr dtheta = Integral from 0 to pi/2, integral from 0 to 1 [sin(u)](1/2u) du dtheta

Using the power rule for integration, we can solve this integral to get:

Integral from 0 to pi/2, integral from 0 to 1 [sin(u)](1/2u) du dtheta = (1/2) Integral from 0 to pi/2, integral from 0 to 1 [sin(u)] du dtheta = (1/2) Integral from 0 to pi/2 [1 - cos(u)] du = (1/2) [u - sin(u)] from 0 to pi/2 = (1/2) [1 - sin(1)] = (1 - sin(1)) / 2

Therefore, the final solution for the double integral is (1 - sin(1)) /

Related to How Do You Integrate These Challenging Double Integrals?

1. What is a double integral?

A double integral is a mathematical concept that involves integrating a function of two variables over a region in a two-dimensional plane. It is represented by two nested integral signs.

2. How do I solve a double integral?

To solve a double integral, you need to first determine the limits of integration and then evaluate the integrand using the appropriate integration techniques. This may involve converting the integral into a simpler form, using substitution or integration by parts.

3. What is the purpose of solving a double integral?

The purpose of solving a double integral is to find the total value or area under a surface or curve in a two-dimensional plane. This can be useful in many areas of science, such as physics, engineering, and economics.

4. What are some commonly used methods for solving double integrals?

Some commonly used methods for solving double integrals include the rectangular, polar, and cylindrical coordinates. These methods involve changing the variables in the integral to simplify the integration process.

5. What are some tips for solving double integrals?

Some tips for solving double integrals include carefully determining the limits of integration, using symmetry to simplify the integral, and checking your work by using multiple methods. It is also important to understand the properties of integrals and how they can be used to solve complex problems.