How do you integrate with respect to a function?

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving solving an integral for f(x). The solution given by Wolfram-Alpha is f(x) = c_1 e^{\int \frac{1}{g(\xi)} d\xi}, but the individual wants to know how Wolfram-Alpha arrived at this solution. They also question the accuracy of the solution and its restrictions.
Char. Limit
Gold Member

Homework Statement

So I thought of an interesting problem, and here it is:

Solve [tex]\int \frac{1}{f'(x)} df(x) = g(x)[/tex] for f(x).

Now, I checked Wolfram-Alpha to see if an answer existed, and they gave me this:

[tex]f(x) = c_1 e^{\int \frac{1}{g(\xi)} d\xi}[/tex]

But, you know that Wolfram-Alpha doesn't show steps. So I want to know how they got from start to finish. I checked the solution, and it seems to work, but how did they get there?

Note that I have taken all three Calculus classes, but no differential equations experience.

EDIT: As a further question, how do you integrate with respect to a function? Is that even defined?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
d(f(x)) is the differential of f(x). It's f'(x)*dx. That makes the left side pretty easy to integrate.

Dick said:
d(f(x)) is the differential of f(x). It's f'(x)*dx. That makes the left side pretty easy to integrate.

It also means that the solution contains any function f that is differentiable and has a non-zero first derivative, and any function g, as long as that function is of the form g(x)=c.

Wolfram's solution does look a bit weird though.
If you substitute g(x)=c, it works out to f(x)=c1.exp(ln(x))=c1.x.
It seems to me that Wolfram's answer is wrong.
It allows for any g, which is not true.
And it finds a specific solution for f, which is too restrictive.

Funny though =).

FAQ: How do you integrate with respect to a function?

What is integration?

Integration is a mathematical process that involves finding the area under a curve on a graph. It is the inverse operation of differentiation and is used to solve problems involving rates of change.

What is "integrating wrt a function"?

"Integrating wrt a function" means integrating with respect to a specific function, rather than with respect to a variable. This is often used when the function is part of the integrand or when the boundaries of integration are defined by the function.

How does integration differ from differentiation?

Integration and differentiation are inverse operations. While differentiation gives the rate of change of a function, integration gives the total value of the function. Integration involves finding the area under a curve, while differentiation involves finding the slope of a curve at a specific point.

What are some common techniques used for integrating wrt a function?

Some common techniques for integrating wrt a function include substitution, integration by parts, partial fractions, and trigonometric substitution. These techniques allow for the simplification of complex integrals and make them easier to solve.

How is integration used in science?

Integration is used in science to model and analyze a wide range of natural phenomena, from motion and energy to population growth and chemical reactions. It is also used to solve problems in physics, engineering, and other scientific fields.

Back