How Do You Isolate Theta in This Trigonometric Equation?

• Thread starter Meadman23
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Theta
In summary, to solve for Θ in the given equation, you can use the trigonometric identity sin^2Θ = 1-cos^2Θ and solve for cosΘ. This will give you a quadratic equation which you can then solve for cosΘ. From there, you can find Θ by taking the inverse cosine of both sides of the equation. Alternatively, you can also use the identity cos2Θ = 2cos^2Θ-1 and solve for cosΘ, which will give you a similar quadratic equation.
Meadman23

Homework Statement

Solve for Θ

v2/RgsinΘ = sinΘ/cosΘ

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I did:

(1) v2/RgsinΘ * (sinΘ) = sinΘ/cosΘ * (sinΘ)

which gives me:

(2) v2/Rg = sin2Θ/cosΘ

then after converting some identities I get:

(3) v2/Rg = tanΘsinΘ

I figure I can't take a tan-1 and then a sin-1 of the values on the left so I don't know where to go from there.

Next, starting from (2) I tried:

(3 alt) v2/Rg = (1-cos2Θ)/cosΘ

and I got:

(4) v2/Rg = secΘ - cosΘ

and it once again stalls me because I can't figure out how to get Θ alone.

My professor tells me there is a simple trig. identity that will help me figure this problem out, but I'm just not seeing one that doesn't leave me lost.

Physics news on Phys.org
Try the following: In your Equation (2) replace [tex]\sin^2 \theta[/tex] with [tex]1-\cos^2 \theta[/tex] then solve for [tex]\cos \theta[/tex].

Did it, but nothing makes sense to me from my final solution that would let me get all Θ to one side.

(1) v2/Rg = 1-cos2Θ/cosΘ(2) v2cosΘ/Rg = 1-cos2Θ(3) v2cosΘ + cos2Θ = 1(4) cosΘ (v2/Rg + cosΘ) = 1 (5) v2/Rg + cosΘ = 1/cosΘ(6) v2/Rg = 1/cosΘ - cosΘ(7)v2/Rg = secΘ - cosΘ

(8)cosΘ = -v2/Rg + sec Θ

Last edited:
Meadman23 said:
Did it, but nothing makes sense to me from my final solution that would let me get all Θ to one side.

(1) v2/Rg = 1-cos2Θ/cosΘ
The above should read v2/Rg = (1-cos2Θ)/cosΘ

I.e., you need parentheses.

Meadman23 said:
(2) v2cosΘ/Rg = 1-cos2Θ

(3) v2cosΘ + cos2Θ = 1
The next step is to move everything to one side and rearrange a bit. I also put Rg back in, since you seemed to have lost it.
cos2Θ + v2cosΘ/(Rg) - 1 = 0

The equation is now quadratic in form, and can be solved for cos(Θ). From there you can solve for Θ.
Meadman23 said:
(4) cosΘ (v2/Rg + cosΘ) = 1

(5) v2/Rg + cosΘ = 1/cosΘ

(6) v2/Rg = 1/cosΘ - cosΘ

(7)v2/Rg = secΘ - cosΘ

(8)cosΘ = -v2/Rg + sec Θ

FAQ: How Do You Isolate Theta in This Trigonometric Equation?

What is the purpose of trying to solve for theta?

The purpose of trying to solve for theta is to find the value of the unknown angle in a mathematical problem or experiment. It can also be used to determine the relationship between different variables in a scientific equation.

What are some common methods for solving for theta?

Some common methods for solving for theta include using trigonometric functions, using algebraic equations, and using geometric principles such as the Pythagorean theorem or the law of cosines.

Why is solving for theta important in scientific research?

Solving for theta is important in scientific research because it allows us to accurately calculate and predict the behavior of physical systems and phenomena. It is also essential for understanding the relationships between different variables and making informed decisions based on data analysis.

What are some challenges that may arise when trying to solve for theta?

Some challenges that may arise when trying to solve for theta include complex equations, limited data or information, and the need for specialized knowledge or skills in mathematics or a specific scientific field.

How can solving for theta be applied in real-world situations?

Solving for theta can be applied in real-world situations in various fields such as engineering, physics, astronomy, and surveying. It can also be used in everyday applications, such as calculating angles and distances for navigation, construction, and design.