How do you know when to use integration by parts on a problem?

In summary, integration by parts is a technique used when integrating a product of a power of x and a transcendental function. It is also useful when trying to prove a recursive relationship about integrals involving a parameter. There is no set method for determining when to use integration by parts, but with practice and familiarity, it becomes easier to identify when it is useful. Additionally, it can be helpful when the derivative of a function is easier to deal with than the original function. Examples of problems where integration by parts is useful include integrating arcsinx*x/Sqrt(1-x^2)dx and ln(x)dx.
pillar
This a techniques of integration question, and I'm wondering how do you know when to use integration by parts on a problem?

My book says this bout the Integration by parts procedure. If f(x) is a product of a power of x and transcendental function then we try integration by parts.

Can someone please show me examples of problems?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Integration is kind of like black magic. There are times when it's obvious, for example, whenever you have a polynomial multiplied by something you know how to integrate, just keep differentiating the polynomial until it goes away

Or if you have something multiplied by cosine or sine, you can usually differentiate the something and integrate the trig function twice to get a formula for the integral in terms of itself (which can then be solved).

Whenever you want to prove a recursive relationship about integrals involving a parameter of a natural number somewhere, you integrate by parts.

There's no real tried and true method for determining how to find an integral, a lot of it is just practice and familiarity with which kinds of techniques work when

Thanks I think I have a better understanding.

Do every problem in your book and you will get a better feel for when it is useful. When the derivative of a function is easier to deal with than the original function, it is useful.

-Suppose you want to integrate something like arcsinx* x/Sqrt(1-x^2)dx
1) recognise that x/Sqrt(1-x^2) is in fact derivative of -Sqrt(1-x^2)
2) Then You have in the integral -arcsinx*d(Sqrt(1-x^2)dx
3)Using partial integration you then have
-arcsinx*Sqrt(1-x^2)+integral Sqrt(1-x^2)/Sqrt(1-x^2)dx=-arcsinx*Sqrt(1-x^2)+x + C
I believe that in this example you can see the beaty and the advantage of partial integration:)
-Integrate ln(x)dx=xlnx-integral(x/x)dx=xlnx-x+C
Here you must use integration by parts because you cannot directly integrate ln(x).
The other common use would be your definition example.

Related to How do you know when to use integration by parts on a problem?

1. When do I use integration by parts?

Integration by parts is typically used when you have a product of two functions in your integrand. It is also useful when you have a function that can be broken down into two parts, one of which can be easily integrated and the other can be differentiated.

2. How do I choose which function to differentiate and which to integrate?

The general rule is to choose the function that becomes simpler or easier to integrate when differentiated. This is usually the function with a higher degree or power.

3. Do I always have to use integration by parts?

No, integration by parts is just one of many integration techniques. You should consider other methods such as substitution, trigonometric identities, or partial fractions before deciding to use integration by parts.

4. Can I use integration by parts on definite integrals?

Yes, integration by parts can be used on both indefinite integrals and definite integrals.

5. Are there any special cases where integration by parts is particularly useful?

Yes, integration by parts is particularly useful when dealing with integrals involving logarithmic or inverse trigonometric functions.