How do you know you understand calculus?

• Thread starter lLovePhysics
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Calculus
In summary, studying concavity and the second derivative test can become confusing, as the second derivative represents the slope of the slope of the original function. While one can plug in numbers to test, it is important to understand the behavior of the graphs and the significance of the second derivative. It is better to think of the derivative as the rate of change of the original function, rather than just the slope. As we go to higher derivatives and more variables, it may become difficult to visualize, but mathematics allows us to explore these concepts beyond what we can see.
lLovePhysics
I'm studying concavity and the second derivative test and it is starting to become more confusing because the second derivate is the slope of the slope of the original function. Do you need to become so familiar with this that you have a "picture" of the graphs in your head? I mean, one can just plug in numbers and test away without understanding the behavior of the graphs right? :rolleyes:

Physics news on Phys.org
i think is easy visualizing it, some of my friends prefers numbers and formulas, (and sometimes i simply have to plug in then),

sometimes it not useful, but i prefer understanding that solving

Yes you can plug in numbers but it is better to understand the process that occurs and the significance of that value of the 2nd derivative. Thinking of the derivative of the slope is extremely limiting when it comes to understanding, as you have just mentioned. It is better to think of the derivative as the rate of change of the original function, which for the first derivative is easy to think of as slope, but for the second and so on derivatives, becomes harder.

the slope of the slope
:smile:
so you have a collection of slopes; each is slightly different, if it is a "smooth" curve the change from one to another is infinitestimal and so the collection of slopes really is a "curve" itself (for these collection of slopes sketches out the change of the slopes inasmuch as the original curve sketches out each slope) and so it can have a slope of its own and so on.

things will get increasingly difficult to visualise as to go to more variables and higher derivatives, but that's when the power of mathematics comes in... it allows us to explore things that we can't visualise

FAQ: How do you know you understand calculus?

1. How do you know you understand calculus?

Understanding calculus involves being able to apply its concepts and techniques to solve problems. This includes being able to differentiate and integrate functions, as well as understanding the fundamental principles of calculus such as limits and continuity.

2. What are the key components of understanding calculus?

The key components of understanding calculus include a strong grasp of algebra and trigonometry, as well as the ability to think critically and logically. It also involves being able to visualize and interpret graphs and equations.

3. How can I improve my understanding of calculus?

To improve your understanding of calculus, it is important to practice regularly and seek help from a tutor or teacher if needed. Working through problems and actively engaging with the material can also aid in understanding.

4. Are there any common misconceptions about understanding calculus?

One common misconception about understanding calculus is that it is only useful for advanced math or science fields. In reality, calculus is used in a wide range of fields such as economics, engineering, and even in everyday life.

5. How do I know if I am ready to move on to more advanced calculus topics?

If you are able to confidently apply the concepts and techniques of calculus to solve problems, and have a deep understanding of its fundamental principles, then you may be ready to move on to more advanced topics. It is also important to seek guidance from a teacher or mentor to ensure a solid understanding before progressing.