How do you measure dynamic loading of an actuator?

In summary, to determine the amount of force a linear actuator can move with a constant velocity, you should refer to the datasheet for the static force. If the actuator is pushing against a friction force, there will be a constant velocity, but if it is pushing against a mass or moment of inertia, there will be acceleration. The term "dynamic load" in the datasheet refers to the relationship between loading and speed of the actuator, while the "dynamic load capacity" indicates the loading at the minimum rated speed of the actuator.
nomisme
If I have a linear actuator, how can I find out how much force it can move with a constant velocity?

Engineering news on Phys.org
nomisme said:
If I have a linear actuator, how can I find out how much force it can move with a constant velocity?

Look at the datasheet for the static force. Why are you thinking there will be a constant velocity? Is it pushing against a friction force? If it is just pushing against a mass or moment of inertia, there will be an acceleration...

berkeman said:
Look at the datasheet for the static force. Why are you thinking there will be a constant velocity? Is it pushing against a friction force? If it is just pushing against a mass or moment of inertia, there will be an acceleration...

Hi Berkeman,
Thanks for getting me back.
I actually used a force gauge to measure the maximum static load for my actuator. It turned out to be 110N.

Sorry I may have added some confusions by assuming the constant velocity thing. I want to retract this statement.
You are right that the more loading you have the slower the actuator goes.

The thing I am really confused about is the term "dynamic load" which can be found in the datasheet of the actuators. Does it mean the relationship between loading and speed of the actuator? By the term "dynamic load capacity", does it mean the loading at the minimum rated speed of the actuator?

I am really stuck.. My boss is killing me... I feel as if I have learned nothing from my undergraduate degree. Please help!

Last edited:

Related to How do you measure dynamic loading of an actuator?

1. How does an actuator generate dynamic loading?

An actuator generates dynamic loading by converting energy from a power source into mechanical motion. This mechanical motion creates forces that can be measured as dynamic loading.

2. What is the purpose of measuring dynamic loading of an actuator?

The purpose of measuring dynamic loading of an actuator is to understand how the actuator performs under different conditions and to ensure that it is functioning properly. This information can also be used to improve the design and efficiency of the actuator.

3. What units are used to measure dynamic loading of an actuator?

Dynamic loading of an actuator is typically measured in units of force, such as newtons or pounds. It can also be measured in units of torque, which is a measure of rotational force.

4. What factors can affect the dynamic loading of an actuator?

The dynamic loading of an actuator can be affected by various factors, such as the type and quality of the materials used, the design and construction of the actuator, the amount of power supplied to the actuator, and external forces acting on the actuator.

5. How is dynamic loading of an actuator measured?

Dynamic loading of an actuator is typically measured using a load cell, which is a device that can accurately measure forces. The actuator is connected to the load cell, and as the actuator moves, the load cell measures the forces generated. This data can then be recorded and analyzed to determine the dynamic loading of the actuator.