How Do You Normalize a Wave Function and Verify Its Momentum Space?

In summary, a wave function is a mathematical representation of a quantum state used in physics to describe the behavior and properties of particles at the subatomic level. The Schrödinger equation is a fundamental equation in quantum mechanics that relates the energy of a particle to its wave function. To solve wave function problems, mathematical techniques and knowledge of the system's properties are needed. Wave functions cannot be directly observed, but their effects can be observed through experiments and measurements.
Tales Roberto

Homework Statement

Consider the wave packet [tex]\psi\left(x\right)=\Psi\left(x,t=0\right)[/tex] given by [tex]\psi=Ce^{\frac{ip_{0}x}{h}-\frac{\left|x\right|}{2\Delta x}[/tex] where C is a normalization constant:

(a) Normalize [tex]\psi\left(x\right) [/tex] to unity

(b) Obtain the corresponding momentum space wave function [tex]\phi\left(p_{x}\right)[/tex] and verify that it is normalized to unity according to: [tex]\int^{\infty}_{-\infty}\left|\phi\left(p_{x}\right)\right|^{2} dp_{x}=1[/tex]

(c) Suggest a reasonable definition of the width [tex]\Delta p_{x}[/tex] and show that [tex]\Delta x \Delta p_{x} \geq h [/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

(a) is easy to solve and we find that [tex] C=\frac{1}{\sqrt{2\Delta x}} [/tex] assuming that C is real. This way [tex]\psi=\frac{1}{\sqrt{2\Delta x}}e^{\frac{ip_{0}x}{h}-\frac{\left|x\right|}{2\Delta x}[/tex]

I attempt to use Fourier Transform to calculate (b):

[tex]\phi\left(p_{x}\right)=\left(2\Pi h \right)^{-\frac{1}{2}} \int e^{\frac{-ip_{x}x}{h}} \psi dx[/tex]

[tex]\phi\left(p_{x}\right)=\left(4\Pi h \right\Delta x)^{-\frac{1}{2}} \int e^{\frac{-i\left(p_{x}-p_{0}\right)x}{h}} e^{\frac{-\left|x\right|}{2\Delta x}} dx[/tex]

[tex]\phi\left(p_{x}\right)=\left(4\Pi h \right\Delta x)^{-\frac{1}{2}} \left[\int_{0}^{\infty} e^{-\left(\frac{ip}{h}} + \frac{1}{2\Delta x}\right)x} dx + \int_{-\infty}^{0} e^{-\left(\frac{ip}{h} - \frac{1}{2\Delta x}\right)x} dx\right][/tex]

where [tex]p=p_{x} - p_{0}[/tex]. To simplify let's write:

[tex]\beta_{1}=\left(\frac{ip}{h}} + \frac{1}{2\Delta x}\right)[/tex] [tex]\beta_{2}=\left(\frac{ip}{h} - \frac{1}{2\Delta x}\right)[/tex]

Then:

[tex]\phi\left(p_{x}\right)=\left(4\Pi h \right\Delta x)^{-\frac{1}{2}} \left[\int_{0}^{\infty} e^{-\beta_{1}x} dx + \int_{-\infty}^{0} e^{-\beta_{2}x} dx\right][/tex]

This integral does not converge since arguments are complex. My "feeling" is that my solution is completely wrong, please help!

Physics news on Phys.org
are you sure those integrals don't converge?

I calculated the integral, however i anchieved a "weird" result. I think it was wrong, i expected an exp term. Here my result:

[tex]\phi\left(p_{x}\right)=-\left(4\Pi h \Delta x\right)^{-\frac{1}{2}}\left[\frac{1}{\frac{ip}{h}+\frac{1}{2\Delta x}}+\frac{1}{\frac{ip}{h}- \frac{1}{2\Delta x}} \right] [/tex]

I have nothing to do with this, may wrong!

i haven't tried it in detail, but it looks reasonable to me... the exponentials disappear when you take the infinite limit

try simplifying, by putting it all over the same denominator, it at least makes sense in that it goes to zero for large |p|

now calculate the magnitude square (worth plotting) to get the momentum probability density function and check if its normalised...

Related to How Do You Normalize a Wave Function and Verify Its Momentum Space?

1. What is a wave function?

A wave function is a mathematical representation of a quantum state in quantum mechanics. It describes the probability of finding a particle in a certain position or state.

2. How is a wave function used in physics?

Wave functions are used in quantum mechanics to describe the behavior and properties of particles at the subatomic level. They can be used to calculate the probability of a particle's position or momentum, and to determine the energy levels of a system.

3. What is the Schrödinger equation?

The Schrödinger equation is a fundamental equation in quantum mechanics that describes how a wave function changes over time. It relates the energy of a particle to its wave function, and allows us to make predictions about the behavior of quantum systems.

4. How do you solve wave function problems?

To solve wave function problems, you typically need to use mathematical techniques such as integration and differentiation, as well as knowledge of the properties of the system being studied. It is also important to understand the physical interpretation of the wave function and how it relates to the behavior of particles.

5. Can wave functions be observed?

No, wave functions cannot be directly observed. They are abstract mathematical representations of quantum states and do not have a physical manifestation. However, the effects of wave functions can be observed through experiments and measurements, such as the interference patterns in the double-slit experiment.