How do you obtain the derivative of (sin(x))^x?

• Thread starter The_Brain
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Derivative
In summary, to obtain the derivative of (sin(x))^x, you need to first take the natural logarithm of both sides to get y = x ln(sin(x)). Then, differentiate implicitly using the product and chain rule to get dy/dx = (sin(x))^x[xcot(x) + ln(sinx)]. For the second derivative, you will need to use the quotient rule and the derivative of the natural logarithm function to get (((sin(x))^x)*(ln(sinx)+x/tanx))*(ln(sinx)+x*cotx)+((sin(x))^x)*(cotx-cotx/((sin(x))^2)). However, this method may not work for values of x on the intervals of the form
The_Brain
What are the steps used to obtain the derivative of (sin(x))^x? I know it's (sin(x))^x [xcot(x) + ln(sinx)] however I don't know how to get there.

Physics news on Phys.org
Edit:

y = sin(x)^x
ln(y) = x ln(sin(x))

Now differentiate implicitly.

cookiemonster

Last edited:
or: (d/dx)sin(x)^x = (d/dx)e^xln(sin(x)) = (ln(sin(x))+xcosx/sinx)sin(x)^x, that's what you got.

1st
lny=ln((sinx)^x)
lny=xln(sinx)
then take the derivative and use product and chain rule ;)

dy/dx(1/y)=x(1/sinx)cosx + ln(sinx)
then simplfy

dy/dx(1/y) = xcotx+lnsinx
dy/dx=y[xcotx+lnsinx]

plug in for y

dy/dx= (sinx)^x[xcotx+lnsinx]

message me if you need any explanations.

dw soz

Last edited:
Thats a fun one to solve.

how do you integrate (sin(x))^x?

For the second derivative, I got

(((sin(x))^x)*(ln(sinx)+x/tanx))*(ln(sinx)+x*cotx)+((sin(x))^x)*(cotx-cotx/((sin(x))^2)

but got no way of checking

Last edited:
uh guys, are you even allowed to do ln(sinx), i mean sinx isn't always positive right?

Then do it for [itex]0\le x\le \pi[/itex] and use [itex]sin(x+ n\pi)= (-1)^n sin(x)[/itex] for x outside that range.

kk, so how do i differentiate (-1)^x?
edit: sorry i misread your post

my question is: how do do ln((-1)^n*sinx)?

if I take -Pi<x<0 then I can write:

sin(x)^x=(-1)^x*(-sin(x))^x
so sin(x)^x=(-1)^x*exp(x*ln(-sin(x))) but then I'm stuck in the differentiation because of the (-1)^x

The problem is not just differentiating [itex](-1)^x[/itex]. How are you defining [itex](-1)^x[/itex]?

I dunno, hence my question: how do you guys manage to differentiate sinx^x?

When I try to differentiate it using the suggested method which I get stuck because of the (-1)^x for values of x on the intervals of the form [2kPi-Pi,2kPi].

This is frustrating I know, everywhere I look people use the same method, but to me there is something missing , or maybe there is something wrong with my thinking :(

FAQ: How do you obtain the derivative of (sin(x))^x?

What is the derivative of (sin(x))^x?

The derivative of (sin(x))^x is a complex expression that involves the use of the product rule, chain rule, and logarithmic differentiation. It can be written as [(sin(x))^x] * [ln(sin(x)) + (x * cos(x)/sin(x))].

Why is the derivative of (sin(x))^x difficult to calculate?

The derivative of (sin(x))^x is difficult to calculate because it involves the combination of two non-elementary functions, sin(x) and x^x. This requires the use of multiple differentiation rules, making the process more complex and time-consuming.

What is the general formula for finding the derivative of a function raised to a power?

The general formula for finding the derivative of a function raised to a power is [f(x)^g(x)] * [g'(x) * ln(f(x)) + (g(x) * f'(x)/f(x))]. This formula can be applied to various functions, such as (sin(x))^x, (cos(x))^x, and (e^x)^x.

Is there a simpler way to find the derivative of (sin(x))^x?

There is no simpler way to find the derivative of (sin(x))^x. However, some specific cases can be simplified, such as when x is a multiple of pi, or when the power is an integer or a fraction with a small denominator. In these cases, the derivative can be calculated using basic differentiation rules.

How can the derivative of (sin(x))^x be used in real-life applications?

The derivative of (sin(x))^x can be used in various real-life applications, such as in physics, engineering, and economics. For example, it can be used to model oscillations and vibrations in mechanical systems, or to analyze market trends and make predictions in finance. It is also used in the study of heat transfer and fluid dynamics.