How Do You Optimize a Lens Design in Zemax for Different Units?

• Thread starter johngreen21
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation revolved around the topic of travel and various destinations. The participants discussed their favorite places to visit and shared tips for budget-friendly trips. They also talked about the importance of immersing oneself in the local culture while traveling.
johngreen21
Homework Statement
Use Zemax to solve the lens splitting problem meeting the requirements listed out in notes a-d
Relevant Equations
EFL=4"*7.8=31.2"
1687714781626.png

I tried to lay out the lens design and MFE, but was not getting the results I should be.
1687714835984.png

1687714863984.png

I am stuck on which steps I need to do first and what operands to use with the specific variables. The problem is written in inches, but I've always used mm's so I am unsure If I need to convert or not.

Physics news on Phys.org

Using Zemax for lens design can be overwhelming at first, but with some practice and understanding of the software, you will be able to solve this lens splitting problem. First, make sure you have all the necessary information such as the lens specifications, focal length, and desired performance.

Next, start by setting up your lens layout in Zemax. This includes defining the lens elements, their surfaces, and the material properties. Make sure to use the correct units, whether it is inches or mm, to avoid any conversion errors.

Once you have set up the lens layout, you can use the Merit Function Editor (MFE) to optimize the lens design. This involves defining the merit function, which is a mathematical expression that represents the desired performance of the lens. You can use operands and variables in the MFE to adjust the lens parameters and achieve the desired performance.

It is important to understand the different operands and their functions in Zemax, as they can greatly impact the optimization process. Some commonly used operands for lens design include radius, thickness, and glass type. You can also use the "Solve" feature in the MFE to automatically adjust the operands and find the best solution for your lens design.

If you are still unsure about which steps to take or which operands to use, I recommend referring to Zemax's user manual or seeking assistance from experienced Zemax users. With practice and patience, you will be able to successfully solve this lens splitting problem using Zemax.

FAQ: How Do You Optimize a Lens Design in Zemax for Different Units?

1. How do I change the units in Zemax for lens design optimization?

To change the units in Zemax, go to the "Project Preferences" under the "Project" menu. Here, you can select the desired units for various parameters such as length, angle, and wavelength. Make sure to apply the changes before proceeding with your lens design optimization.

2. How do unit changes affect the optimization process in Zemax?

Changing units in Zemax will automatically convert all relevant parameters to the new units, ensuring consistency throughout the design process. This means that focal lengths, radii of curvature, thicknesses, and other dimensions will be correctly scaled, allowing the optimization algorithms to function properly without manual adjustments.

3. Can I optimize a lens design in different units without starting over?

Yes, you can optimize a lens design in different units without starting over. After changing the units in the "Project Preferences," Zemax will automatically update all relevant parameters. You can then continue optimizing your lens design using the new units without the need to restart the project.

4. What should I check after changing units in Zemax to ensure proper optimization?

After changing units, verify that all dimensions and parameters have been correctly converted by reviewing the lens data editor. Check the focal length, radii of curvature, thicknesses, and any other critical dimensions to ensure they are consistent with the new units. This will help avoid any discrepancies during the optimization process.

5. How do I ensure that my optimization targets are correctly set after changing units?

After changing units, review and adjust your optimization targets to match the new units. This includes checking merit functions, constraints, and any other optimization criteria. Ensuring that these targets are correctly set will help achieve the desired performance in the new unit system.