How Do You Perform an Inverse Laplace Transform on 1/(s^2+s+1)?

In summary, the conversation is about finding the solution to a differential equation using the laplace transform. The conversation includes discussing the use of its properties, finding the inverse of the transformed equation, and using partial fractions or completing the square in the denominator. The conversation also mentions using complex exponentials and finding correspondences in tables. However, the conversation ends with the suggestion to work out the solution on one's own as it is not difficult but a bit lengthy.
aaaa202
Using the laplace transform, find the solution to the differential equation:

y'' + y' + y = 0 , y(0)=0, y'(0)=1

Using the laplace transform and its properties I end up with:

f(s) = 1/(s2+s+1)

How can I find the inverse of this/ does anyone know the inverse of it?

Setting y=eax I got a characteristic equation of a2+a+1=0, which has a complex solution, so I suspec that the inverse above should be a combination of both a sine, cosine and an exponential..

Physics news on Phys.org
aaaa202 said:
Using the laplace transform, find the solution to the differential equation:

y'' + y' + y = 0 , y(0)=0, y'(0)=1

Using the laplace transform and its properties I end up with:

f(s) = 1/(s2+s+1)

How can I find the inverse of this/ does anyone know the inverse of it?

Setting y=eax I got a characteristic equation of a2+a+1=0, which has a complex solution, so I suspec that the inverse above should be a combination of both a sine, cosine and an exponential..

Factor the denominator, then use partial fractions.

RGV

hmm okay so factoring the denominator I get:

f(s) = 1/((s+½+i√(3)/2)(s+½-i√(3)/2))

What do I then do? Sorry, but I don't know the term partial fractions :(

aaaa202 said:
hmm okay so factoring the denominator I get:

f(s) = 1/((s+½+i√(3)/2)(s+½-i√(3)/2))

What do I then do? Sorry, but I don't know the term partial fractions :(

Google "partial fractions", or look in any calculus textbook.

RGV

You could also complete the square in the denominator and then use the tables, but you should know how to invert the transform using either method.

hmm using partial fractions I get:

1/(s2+s+1) = -i√(3)/(s+½+i√(3)/2) + i√(3)/(s+½-i√(3)/2)

But I don't see how that gets me anywhere.

Instead I figured you might want to write it as:

1/((s+½)2+3/4)

But can't find a specific transform looking like that.

The issue is that I have already obtained the solution using the characteristic polynomial, which got the solution:

e^(½x)(cos(√(3)/2 *x) + 1/√(3) * sin(√(3)/2 * x))

But I can't find any transform tables with e^ax(sin(bx) or with cos(bx)

Last edited:
aaaa202 said:

1/((s+½)2+3/4)

The issue is that I have already obtained the solution using the characteristic polynomial, which got the solution:

If you write your solution all in terms of complex exponentials, you'll probably find correspondence in tables.

No because I'm not considering complex solutions (there's no i in front of sine). Hmm this is getting too tedious anyways, Ima skip this assignment. After all I know what to do, and who cares I can't get it to fit completely.

aaaa202 said:

1/((s+½)2+3/4)

Well, you could work these out on your own; they are not difficult (but are a bit lengthy before the final result).

Anyway, you have something of the form [itex] \frac{c_1}{s+a_1} + \frac{c_2}{s + a_2},[/itex] for constants [itex] c_1, c_2, a_1, a_2 [/itex] (which happen to be complex numbers, but that does not matter). Just invert each term separately. In the end, you will be able to combine the results to get a purely real result.

RGV

Related to How Do You Perform an Inverse Laplace Transform on 1/(s^2+s+1)?

What is an inverse Laplace transform?

An inverse Laplace transform is a mathematical operation that takes a function from the complex frequency domain to the time domain. It is the inverse operation of a Laplace transform, which converts a function from the time domain to the frequency domain.

Why is the inverse Laplace transform used?

The inverse Laplace transform is used to solve differential equations in the time domain. By converting the equation into the frequency domain using a Laplace transform, we can then use the inverse Laplace transform to find the solution in the time domain.

How is the inverse Laplace transform performed?

The inverse Laplace transform is performed by using a table of known transforms or by using algebraic manipulation and partial fraction decomposition. It can also be calculated using numerical methods.

What is the difference between a two-sided and one-sided inverse Laplace transform?

A two-sided inverse Laplace transform is used for functions that have a Laplace transform defined for the entire complex plane. A one-sided inverse Laplace transform is used for functions that have a Laplace transform defined only for the right half of the complex plane.

Can the inverse Laplace transform be used for all functions?

No, the inverse Laplace transform can only be used for functions that have a Laplace transform. Some functions may not have a Laplace transform, or the transform may not be defined for the entire complex plane, in which case the inverse Laplace transform cannot be used.