How do you plot eigenfunctions of perturbed HO?

In summary, the conversation discusses the task of finding eigenvalues and eigenvectors of a perturbed harmonic oscillator numerically using different numerical methods and plotting the perturbed eigenfunctions. The speaker has written a code in c++ that returns a row of eigenvalues and a matrix of corresponding eigenvectors, but is unsure of how to plot the eigenfunctions. They mention finding eigenvalues and eigenvectors using different methods and comparing them, and also mention using the unperturbed harmonic oscillator as a basis set to calculate the coefficients for the eigenfunctions. Ultimately, the speaker is seeking guidance on how to plot the eigenfunctions using the eigenvectors they have obtained.
asynja

Homework Statement

Find eigenvalues and eigenvectors of a perturbed harmonic oscillator (H=H0+lambda*q4 numerically using different numerical methods and plot perturbed eigenfunctions. I wrote a code in c++ which returns a row of eigenvalues of the perturbed matrix H and a matrix of corresponding eigenvectors. I know how to plot eigenfunctions of a non-perturbed oscillator in Mathematica. But here it ends. It's been a while since I had a course in classical mechanics and I can't remember (or find it on web, Wikipedia was also useless) how do you actually find eigenfunctions for eigenvalues and eigenvectors. Can please anyone explain to me how to do that?
Thank you in advance

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
asynja said:
I wrote a code in c++ which returns a row of eigenvalues of the perturbed matrix H and a matrix of corresponding eigenfunctions. [...] how do you actually find eigenfunctions for eigenvalues and eigenvectors.
There a contradiction there. You say that you wrote a program that calculates eigenvalues and eigenfunctions. Isn't that what you need?

DrClaude said:
There a contradiction there. You say that you wrote a program that calculates eigenvalues and eigenfunctions. Isn't that what you need?
Yes, but now I need to plot eigenfunctions for n=0, n=1, etc for the perturbed states and I have no idea how to get them. I'm sure it's something simple, I really can't remember how to do that.

Sorry, my bad, typing error. I've found eigenVECTORS and eigenvalues, and I have to plot eigenfunctions from them...

asynja said:
Sorry, my bad, typing error. I've found eigenVECTORS and eigenvalues, and I have to plot eigenfunctions from them...
In what basis is your Hamiltonian written when solving numerically? If you are using a grid of points, then these two are the same thing.

I don't know what you mean, please explain. The task was to find the perturbed eigen-everything using 3 different methods for calculating the perturbation's matrix elements qij . Then I have to plot them, compare for different lambdas, etc. I wrote an algorithm using tqli and tred2 from Numerical Recipes, by which I obtained the eigenvalues and eigenvectors. Then I plotted everything that had to do with eigenvalues (compare methods and check what happens at different lambdas and different matrix dimensions, etc) - I didn't need any basis to do that. Now I have to plot eigenvalues and compare them graphically to the unperturbed Hamiltonian. And I have no idea how to build an (eigen)function from my vectors and eigenvalues.

To do these numerical calculations, you have to represent the Hamiltonian as a matrix. There is a multitude of ways to do that. Which one did you use? In other words, how do you calculate the elements that fill your Hamiltonian matrix?

I filled a matrix nxn with E0n = n + 1/2 as diagonal elements, then, for one of the methods, I calculated q^4 matrix elements as qij =0.5* sqrt(i + j + 1)* δ|i−j|,1
edit: As for eigenfunctions of unperturbed eigenstates, they are given in theoretical introduction to the task as |n>=(2nn!sqrt(pi))1/2 e-q^2/2Hn(q)

Last edited:
asynja said:
I filled a matrix nxn with E0n = n + 1/2 as diagonal elements, then, for one of the methods, I calculated q^4 matrix elements as qij =0.5* sqrt(i + j + 1)* δ|i−j|,1
Ok, so you are using the unperturbed HO as your basis set. Then what you are getting in the eigenvectors are the coefficients that express your wave function in terms of the eigenfuctions of the unperturbed HO:
$$
\psi(x) = \sum_i c_i \phi_i(x)
$$
where ##\psi(x)## is the wave function (eigenfunction of the perturbed HO), ##c_i## the coefficients (the elements of the eigenvector), and ##\phi_i(x)## the eigenfunctions of the unperturbed HO. You thus need to calculate the ##\phi_i(x)## and sum them up with the proper coefficients you calculated to get the eigenfunctions you are looking for.

Thanks a lot, that's what I was looking for.

Related to How do you plot eigenfunctions of perturbed HO?

What is the perturbed harmonic oscillator?

The perturbed harmonic oscillator is a mathematical model that describes a system that is close to but not exactly following the behavior of a simple harmonic oscillator. This can occur when there are external forces or disturbances acting on the system.

What are eigenfunctions and eigenvalues?

Eigenfunctions and eigenvalues are mathematical concepts used to describe the behavior of a linear system. Eigenfunctions are functions that, when multiplied by a scalar value, remain unchanged. Eigenvalues are the corresponding scalar values that satisfy this condition.

How do you plot eigenfunctions of perturbed HO?

To plot eigenfunctions of a perturbed harmonic oscillator, you first need to solve the differential equation that describes the system. This can be done analytically or numerically using computational methods. Once the eigenfunctions are determined, they can be plotted as a function of the perturbation parameter.

What is the significance of plotting eigenfunctions of perturbed HO?

Plotting eigenfunctions of a perturbed harmonic oscillator can provide insight into how the system behaves under different perturbations. It can also help in understanding the relationship between the perturbation and the energy levels of the system.

What are some applications of studying eigenfunctions of perturbed HO?

The study of eigenfunctions of a perturbed harmonic oscillator has applications in various fields such as quantum mechanics, solid-state physics, and chemistry. It can also be used in the analysis of complex systems and in understanding the behavior of physical and chemical processes.