How Do You Plot the Curve of a Hyperbola with a Non-Zero Center?

In summary, the author is graphing a hyperbola and has completed everything, except they are not sure how to draw the final curve in. They have the center, foci, vertices, and axis', but cannot find any information on actually plotting the curve in. They were trying to find x and y coordinates by substituting numbers into the equation, but the center (h,k) is not at zero it is at (2,2) so they do not know how they would get the variables for the other side. They received help from an expert who explained the formula for the hyperbola and how to graph it.
mikebc
Hi, I am graphing a hyperbola and have completed everything, except I am not to sure how to draw the final curve in. I have the center, foci, vertices, and axis'. I cannot seem to find any information on actually plotting the curve in. Am I supposed to freehand it in from the vertice and follow the the lines drawn of the axis'? I was trying to find x and y coordinates by substituting numbers into the equation, but the center (h,k) is not at zero it is at (2,2) so I do not know how I would get the variables for the other side?

Here is the equation:

2 2
(Y-2) (X-2)
______ - _____ = 1
3 6
Any help would be appreciated, math is not my strongest subject. Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Sorry, in that equation the two 2's are squares and the 3 is supposed to be under the y-2 and the 6 under the x-2.

Just plot about 3 points on each side so you get the general curve then just freehand it, until the edge of the graph.

Thanks for your help. I will try that.

Generally, you can't be sure where symbols on different lines will be placed on the internet. Either (y-2)^2/3 - (x- 2)^2/6= 1 or use HTML (y-2)2/3- (x-2)2/6= 1 or "LaTex":
[tex]\frac{(y-2)^2}{3}- \frac{(x-2)^2}{6}= 1[/tex]

I presume you can see that the center is at (2, 2), the semi-axes are [itex]\sqrt{6}[/itex] and [itex]\sqrt{3}[/itex] and that the vertices are at (2, 2[itex]\pm\sqrt{3}[/itex]).

Here's how I would graph that. In light pencil, since they aren't part of the graph itself, draw a horizontal line of length [itex]\sqrt{6}[/itex] right and left of (2, 2) and a vertical line of length [itex]\sqrt{3}[/itex] above and below (2,2). Now draw a small rectangle having those as "center lines". That is, two horizontal lines at y= 2+ [itex]\sqrt{3}[/itex] and y= 2- [itex]\sqrt{3}[/itex] and two vertical lines at x= 2+ [itex]\sqrt{6}[/itex] and x= 2- [itex]\sqrt{6}[/itex]. Finally, draw the diagonals of that rectangle, extending the as far as you can. Those are the "asymptotes" of the hyperbola.

Now, you are ready to draw the hyperbola! You can see from the original equation, [itex](y-2)^2/6-(x-2)^2/6= 1[/itex], that if x= 0, you can solve for the vertices y= 2[itex]\pm\sqrt{3}[/itex] but if y= 0, you cannot solve for x (you get [itex](x-2)^2= -6[/itex]. That tells you that the hyperbola is in the top and bottom wedges formed by the asymptotes.

Start at the upper vertex and draw smooth curve out on each side to the asymptotes, getting closer and closer to them. Do the same at the lower vertex.

Thank you, Hallsofivy. I have followed what you explained so clearly. The thing that I don't understand is that math is such an exact science that I thought there must be a special formula for determining exact points to follow to draw the hyperbola. But from the suggestions given here it appears that I am over analyzing and that all I need to do is free hand it. Thanks a lot for your help.

There is! It's the formula for the hyperbola!

Or perhaps you mean a formula that say y= ... for any value of x.

Since your equation is (y-2)2/3 - (x-2)2/6= 1, (y-2)2/3= 1+ (x-2)2/6 so (y-2)2= 3+ (x-2)2/2 and then
[itex]y= 2\pm\sqrt{3+ (x-2)^2/2}[/itex]
Is that better? On a graphing calculator, for example you could enter that with the "+" sign in one function, with the "-" sign in another and graph the entire hyperbola.

FAQ: How Do You Plot the Curve of a Hyperbola with a Non-Zero Center?

1. What is a hyperbola and how is it different from other types of graphs?

A hyperbola is a type of conic section that is created by the intersection of a plane and a double cone. It is different from other types of graphs because it has two branches that extend infinitely in opposite directions, as opposed to a parabola which has one branch or an ellipse which has two curved branches that intersect.

2. How do I find the center and vertices of a hyperbola?

To find the center of a hyperbola, you need to have the equation of the hyperbola in standard form, which is (x-h)^2/a^2 - (y-k)^2/b^2 = 1, where (h,k) is the center of the hyperbola. The vertices of a hyperbola are located on the transverse axis, which is the line passing through the center and the two foci. The distance from the center to the vertices is equal to a, the semi-major axis.

3. What are the foci of a hyperbola and how do I find them?

The foci of a hyperbola are two fixed points located within the hyperbola on the transverse axis. The distance from the center to each focus is equal to c, where c^2 = a^2 + b^2. To find the foci, you can use the formula (h ± c, k), where (h,k) is the center of the hyperbola.

4. How do I graph a hyperbola if I only have the equation in general form?

To graph a hyperbola in general form, you will need to first convert it to standard form by completing the square for both the x and y terms. Once it is in standard form, you can use the center, vertices, and foci to plot the hyperbola on a graph.

5. Can a hyperbola have a negative value for a or b in its equation?

Yes, a hyperbola can have a negative value for a or b in its equation. This will result in a horizontal or vertical hyperbola, respectively. The sign of a or b will determine the direction and shape of the hyperbola's branches.

Back