How do you project a Sersic Profile into 3D?

• Thread starter Earnest Guest
  • Start date
  • Tags
    3d Project
In summary, the conversation revolved around creating a velocity profile for M31 and using a Sersic profile from a 2009 paper by Sofue et al to calculate the 3D density. The formula from a 2008 paper by Noordermeer was referenced, but there was confusion about how the 3D radius, m, was related to the measured radius along the line-of-nodes, κ. There have been attempts to generalize the formula, but the most accurate results were found in Young's 1974 work, which provides numerically calculated values for the 3D projection of a 2D surface brightness profile.
Earnest Guest
I'm attempting to create a velocity profile for M31. I have a Sersic profile from a paper by Sofue et al (2009), but I'm unable to project it into 3D space in order to get the actual 3D density that I'd use to calculate the velocity at a given radius. Here's the formula from a 2008 paper by Noordermeer (http://arxiv.org/pdf/0801.0870v1.pdf).

Bulge Component.png

Where dI is the Sersic Profile, κ is the measured radius along the line-of-nodes, m is the 3D radius and p(m) is the density in 3D. But how is m in the formula above related to κ (kappa)? I get the general idea that we're projecting a 2D profile into 3D space, but without knowing either the radius or the line of sight dimension (ζ in the paper listed above), I don't see how the 3D radius, m, can be determined. What am I missing?

Last edited:
Space news on Phys.org
OK. Here we go. I turns out that the above integration can't be solved analytically. There is a HUGE body of science devoted to the subject, enough for a couple of Ph. Ds. Some people have tried to create a generalization of the formula (see http://adsabs.harvard.edu/abs/1987A%26A...175...1M) but I found these approximation lacked the detail needed for any serious galactic bulge modeling. Finally, I found the seminal work on the subject: Young 1974 (http://adsabs.harvard.edu/full/1976AJ...81..807Y) which contains some tables of numerically calculated values for the 3D project of a 2D surface brightness profile. You can feed the table into an interpolation function and get a nearly perfect match for 3D density or 3D mass given R/Re (in sky coordinates).

Related to How do you project a Sersic Profile into 3D?

1. What is a Sersic Profile?

A Sersic Profile is a mathematical representation of the surface brightness of a galaxy or other astronomical object. It is often used to describe the distribution of stars within a galaxy, and is characterized by a steep central peak and a gradual decline in brightness towards the outskirts.

2. How is a Sersic Profile projected into 3D?

A Sersic Profile can be projected into 3D by using a mathematical transformation known as the Abel Integral. This transformation accounts for the effects of projection and converts the 2D Sersic Profile into a 3D density distribution.

3. What factors influence the shape of a projected Sersic Profile?

The shape of a projected Sersic Profile is influenced by several factors, including the intrinsic properties of the object (such as its size and mass), the viewing angle, and the presence of any nearby objects that may affect its shape through tidal interactions or gravitational lensing.

4. How does the Sersic Index affect the projected Sersic Profile?

The Sersic Index, denoted by the symbol n, is a measure of the steepness of the central peak in a Sersic Profile. Higher values of n correspond to steeper central peaks, while lower values result in flatter profiles. Therefore, the Sersic Index plays a major role in determining the overall shape and appearance of the projected profile.

5. Can a Sersic Profile be used to model all types of astronomical objects?

While the Sersic Profile is commonly used to describe the surface brightness of galaxies, it can also be applied to other astronomical objects such as star clusters, globular clusters, and even the dark matter halos surrounding galaxies. However, it may not be an appropriate model for all types of objects, and other mathematical functions may be more suitable in certain cases.

Back