How Do You Prove a Specific Fourier Transform Property?

In summary, the property of the Fourier transform, when $F[f(x)]=\widetilde{f}(x)$, where $F[f(x)]$ is the Fourier transform of $f(x)$, is $F[ \widetilde{f}(x) ]= \frac{f(-k)}{2 \pi}$. This can be proven by using the definition of the Fourier transform and the Dirac delta function.
mathmari
Gold Member
MHB
Hey! :eek:

Could you give me a hint how to prove the following property of the Fourier transform, when $F[f(x)]=\widetilde{f}(x)$, where $F[f(x)]$ is the Fourier transform of $f(x)$?

$$F[ \widetilde{f}(x) ]= \frac{f(-k)}{2 \pi}$$

We know that: $ \widetilde{f}(k)=\int_{- \infty}^{+ \infty}{ {f}(x) e^{-i k x}}dx$ and $f(x)=\frac{1}{2 \pi}\int_{- \infty}^{+ \infty}{ \widetilde{f}(k) e^{i k x}}dx$.

I thought the following:

$F[\widetilde{f}(x)]=\int_{-\infty}^{+\infty}{\widetilde{f}(x)e^{-ikx}}dx=2 \pi \frac{1}{2 \pi} \int_{-\infty}^{+\infty}{\widetilde{f}(x)e^{ix(-k)}}dx=2 \pi f(-k)$

But then $2 \pi$ would be at the numerator..
Have I done something wrong or can we not prove this in this way?

Then an other idea is:
$\widetilde{f}(x)=\int_{-\infty}^{+\infty}{\widetilde{f}(k)e^{-ikx}}dk \Rightarrow F[\widetilde{f}(x)]=F[\int_{-\infty}^{+\infty}{\widetilde{f}(k)e^{-ikx}}dk]=\int_{-\infty}^{+\infty}{\int_{-\infty}^{+\infty}{\widetilde{f}(k)e^{-2ikx}}}dkdx$
How could we continue?

Or is there an other way to prove the property?? (Worried)

Physics news on Phys.org
mathmari said:
Hey! :eek:

Could you give me a hint how to prove the following property of the Fourier transform, when $F[f(x)]=\widetilde{f}(x)$, where $F[f(x)]$ is the Fourier transform of $f(x)$?

$$F[ \widetilde{f}(x) ]= \frac{f(-k)}{2 \pi}$$

We know that: $ \widetilde{f}(k)=\int_{- \infty}^{+ \infty}{ {f}(x) e^{-i k x}}dx$ and $f(x)=\frac{1}{2 \pi}\int_{- \infty}^{+ \infty}{ \widetilde{f}(k) e^{i k x}}dx$.

I thought the following:

$F[\widetilde{f}(x)]=\int_{-\infty}^{+\infty}{\widetilde{f}(x)e^{-ikx}}dx=2 \pi \frac{1}{2 \pi} \int_{-\infty}^{+\infty}{\widetilde{f}(x)e^{ix(-k)}}dx=2 \pi f(-k)$

But then $2 \pi$ would be at the numerator..
Have I done something wrong or can we not prove this in this way?

Hi! :)

That is the correct way to prove it and your result is the right result.
None of the other common versions of the Fourier transform will give the result in your problem statement.
So it appears that your problem statement is wrong.

You can see the same result in this wiki table in the row labeled 105.
Your version of the Fourier transform is the last Fourier column in the table.
Then an other idea is:
$\widetilde{f}(x)=\int_{-\infty}^{+\infty}{\widetilde{f}(k)e^{-ikx}}dk \Rightarrow F[\widetilde{f}(x)]=F[\int_{-\infty}^{+\infty}{\widetilde{f}(k)e^{-ikx}}dk]=\int_{-\infty}^{+\infty}{\int_{-\infty}^{+\infty}{\widetilde{f}(k)e^{-2ikx}}}dkdx$
How could we continue?

This is not correct.
It should be:
\begin{aligned}\widetilde{f}(x)&=\int_{-\infty}^{+\infty}{f(k')e^{-ik'x}}dk' \\
\Rightarrow F[\widetilde{f}(x)]
&=F[\int_{-\infty}^{+\infty} f(k')e^{-ik'x} dk'] \\
&=\int_{-\infty}^{+\infty} \int_{-\infty}^{+\infty} f(k')e^{-ik'x} e^{-ikx} dk'dx \\
&=\int_{-\infty}^{+\infty} \int_{-\infty}^{+\infty} f(k')e^{-i(k'+k)x} dk'dx
\end{aligned}

Anyway, I do not see how you can continue with that.

I like Serena said:
Hi! :)

That is the correct way to prove it and your result is the right result.
None of the other common versions of the Fourier transform will give the result in your problem statement.
So it appears that your problem statement is wrong.

You can see the same result in this wiki table in the row labeled 105.
Your version of the Fourier transform is the last Fourier column in the table.

This is not correct.
It should be:
\begin{aligned}\widetilde{f}(x)&=\int_{-\infty}^{+\infty}{f(k')e^{-ik'x}}dk' \\
\Rightarrow F[\widetilde{f}(x)]
&=F[\int_{-\infty}^{+\infty} f(k')e^{-ik'x} dk'] \\
&=\int_{-\infty}^{+\infty} \int_{-\infty}^{+\infty} f(k')e^{-ik'x} e^{-ikx} dk'dx \\
&=\int_{-\infty}^{+\infty} \int_{-\infty}^{+\infty} f(k')e^{-i(k'+k)x} dk'dx
\end{aligned}

Anyway, I do not see how you can continue with that.

Ok! (Smile)
Thank you very much! (Smirk)

I realized that actually we can continue from here using the Dirac delta function:
\begin{aligned}
F[\widetilde{f}(x)]
&=\int_{-\infty}^{+\infty} \int_{-\infty}^{+\infty} f(k')e^{-i(k'+k)x} dk'dx \\
&=\int_{-\infty}^{+\infty} dk' f(k') \int_{-\infty}^{+\infty} e^{-i(k'+k)x} dx \\
&=\int_{-\infty}^{+\infty} dk' f(k')\ 2\pi\ \delta(k'+k) \\
&= 2\pi f(-k)
\end{aligned}

I like Serena said:
I realized that actually we can continue from here using the Dirac delta function:
\begin{aligned}
F[\widetilde{f}(x)]
&=\int_{-\infty}^{+\infty} \int_{-\infty}^{+\infty} f(k')e^{-i(k'+k)x} dk'dx \\
&=\int_{-\infty}^{+\infty} dk' f(k') \int_{-\infty}^{+\infty} e^{-i(k'+k)x} dx \\
&=\int_{-\infty}^{+\infty} dk' f(k')\ 2\pi\ \delta(k'+k) \\
&= 2\pi f(-k)
\end{aligned}

Ok! (flower)
Thanks a lot! (Smirk)

FAQ: How Do You Prove a Specific Fourier Transform Property?

1. What is the Fourier Transform property?

The Fourier Transform property is a mathematical concept that describes the relationship between a function and its frequency components. It allows us to decompose a complex signal into simpler sinusoidal functions, and vice versa.

2. How is the Fourier Transform property used in science?

The Fourier Transform property has many applications in different fields of science, such as signal processing, image processing, and data analysis. It is also widely used in quantum mechanics, electromagnetism, and other branches of physics.

3. What are the main properties of the Fourier Transform?

The main properties of the Fourier Transform include linearity, time shifting, frequency shifting, convolution, and differentiation. These properties help simplify the analysis of complex signals and make it easier to manipulate them in various applications.

4. Can the Fourier Transform be applied to all types of signals?

The Fourier Transform can be applied to a wide range of signals, including continuous-time signals, discrete-time signals, and even non-periodic signals. However, it is most commonly used for periodic signals with a finite energy.

5. Are there any limitations to the Fourier Transform property?

While the Fourier Transform is a powerful tool, it does have some limitations. For example, it assumes that a signal is stationary, meaning it does not change over time. It also cannot accurately represent signals with sharp discontinuities or singularities.