How Do You Rearrange the Equation v = sqrt(2kt/m) to Solve for M?

• Thread starter jim the duke
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is about rearranging an equation to solve for the variable M. There is some confusion about whether to square both sides or multiply both sides by M. It is also suggested to use parentheses to clarify the problem.
jim the duke
Just need some help rearranging this equation to make M the subject, thanks

v = sqrt 2kt / m

Physics news on Phys.org
Start by squaring both sides.

sqrt v = sqrt 2kt / m

m = 2kt / v^2

jim the duke said:
Just need some help rearranging this equation to make M the subject,
v = sqrt 2kt / m
rock.freak667 said:
Start by squaring both sides.

jim the duke said:
sqrt v = sqrt 2kt / m
I see two mistakes in what you did:
1. rock.freak667 said to square both sides (not take the square root of both sides).
2. He said to do it to both sides, not just the left side.

jim the duke said:
Just need some help rearranging this equation to make M the subject, thanks

v = sqrt 2kt / m
If the problem is v= sqrt(2kt/m) then, yes, start by squaring both sides to get rid of the square root.

If the problem is v= sqrt(2kt)/m, which is the way I first interpreted it, start by multiplying both sides by m.

Please use parentheses to make your meaning clear!

Related to How Do You Rearrange the Equation v = sqrt(2kt/m) to Solve for M?

What is the process for rearranging an equation?

The process for rearranging an equation involves isolating the variable you want to solve for on one side of the equation and simplifying the other side by performing inverse operations.

Why do we need to rearrange equations?

Rearranging equations allows us to solve for a specific variable and manipulate the equation to better understand its relationship between different variables.

What are the basic rules for rearranging equations?

The basic rules for rearranging equations include performing inverse operations, keeping the equation balanced, and following the PEMDAS order of operations.

What are some common mistakes to avoid when rearranging equations?

Some common mistakes to avoid when rearranging equations include forgetting to perform inverse operations, making errors in arithmetic, and losing track of which side of the equation the variable is on.

How can I check if I rearranged an equation correctly?

You can check if you rearranged an equation correctly by plugging in your solution to the original equation and confirming that both sides are equal.

Back