How do you set up this lp problem? I'm not sure how to set up the constraints.

In summary: Thank you but I'm still a little confused. So would the constraint be b2a1/a1 >= .3 ?Thank you but I'm still a little confused. So would the constraint be b2a1/a1 >= .3 Yes, that is what the restriction says.
nueton5000
A company produces three products A1, A2, A3 by mixing three ingredients B1, B2, B3. The selling price for A1, A2 and A3 is $13, 14 and 16 $/kg, respec- tively, and at most 75,80 and 90 kg of each can be sold daily. The cost of B1,B2,B3 is 7, 2 and 4 $/kg and the daily supply is at most 40, 95, and 65 kg, respectively. In addition, there are the following technological constraints:
A1 must contain exactly 10% of B1, at least 30% of B2, and at most 50% of B3;
A2 must contain exactly 30% of B2, at least 20% of B3, and at most 10% of B1.
A3 must contain exactly 15% of B3, at least 15% of B2, and at most 15% of B1;

*Determine the mixing scheme which will maximize the profit

The Attempt at a Solution

I think I need to maximize 13a1 + 14a2 + 16a - 7b1 -2b2 -4b3 but I am not sure how the constraints for the A(1-3) products would go.

Physics news on Phys.org
nueton5000 said:
A company produces three products A1, A2, A3 by mixing three ingredients B1, B2, B3. The selling price for A1, A2 and A3 is $13, 14 and 16 $/kg, respec- tively, and at most 75,80 and 90 kg of each can be sold daily. The cost of B1,B2,B3 is 7, 2 and 4 $/kg and the daily supply is at most 40, 95, and 65 kg, respectively. In addition, there are the following technological constraints:
A1 must contain exactly 10% of B1, at least 30% of B2, and at most 50% of B3;
A2 must contain exactly 30% of B2, at least 20% of B3, and at most 10% of B1.
A3 must contain exactly 15% of B3, at least 15% of B2, and at most 15% of B1;

*Determine the mixing scheme which will maximize the profit

The Attempt at a Solution

I think I need to maximize 13a1 + 14a2 + 16a - 7b1 -2b2 -4b3 but I am not sure how the constraints for the A(1-3) products would go.

Suppose we let the letters A1,A2 and A3 do double duty: let A1 = daily production of product A1 (in kg), etc. So, if we produce A1 kg of product A1, how many kg of B1 do we use (assuming the percentage figures are by weight)? It is a bit trickier for B2, since the amount of B2 in A1 is bounded, but not given as an exact percentage. So, the daily amount of B2 in A1 is another _variable_---call it B2A1 for example. What, if any, constraint links B2A1 and A1?

By introducing a bunch of extra variables, the problem becomes easy to model.

RGV

Thank you but I'm still a little confused. So would the constraint be b2a1/a1 >= .3 ?

nueton5000 said:
Thank you but I'm still a little confused. So would the constraint be b2a1/a1 >= .3 ?

Well, isn't that what one of the restrictions actually says? However, you cannot write it like that because you would be taking a *ratio* of variables, which is a NONLINEAR expression (and not only that, you would be dividing by zero if you happen to look at a policy with A1 = 0). You need to put the restriction in the form of a LINEAR constraint. There are standard ways of doing that---just look in your textbook or course notes.

RGV

Related to How do you set up this lp problem? I'm not sure how to set up the constraints.

1. How do I identify the decision variables in an LP problem?

To identify the decision variables in an LP problem, you need to look at the objective function and determine which variables are being optimized or minimized. These variables will be your decision variables.

2. How do I determine the objective function of an LP problem?

The objective function is the goal or outcome that the LP problem is trying to achieve. It is usually stated as a linear equation or expression, and it is typically either maximizing or minimizing a certain quantity. To determine the objective function, you need to identify the goal or desired outcome of the problem.

3. What are the steps for setting up the constraints in an LP problem?

The steps for setting up the constraints in an LP problem are as follows:

1. Identify the decision variables
  2. Write down the objective function
  3. Identify the constraints and write them down as linear equations or inequalities
  4. Plot the constraints on a graph to visualize them
  5. Determine the feasible region, which is the area that satisfies all constraints
  6. Write down the feasible region and label the corner points

4. How do I know if an LP problem has multiple solutions?

If an LP problem has multiple solutions, it means that there are multiple combinations of decision variable values that satisfy the constraints and yield the same optimal objective function value. This can be determined by graphing the constraints and seeing if there are multiple points that lie on the same line or boundary.

5. What is the importance of formulating constraints in an LP problem?

The constraints in an LP problem define the boundaries or limitations within which the decision variables can vary. These constraints ensure that the solution to the problem is feasible and realistic. Without constraints, the LP problem would have an infinite number of solutions, making it difficult to determine the optimal solution.