How Do You Simplify cos(2 * arcsin(2x))?

The simplification holds for all values of x, since the range of arcsin is [-1,1] and cos(2t) is defined for all values of t.
jwxie

Homework Statement

cos(2 * arcsin(2x))

Use a triangle to simplify each expression. Where application, state the range of x's for which the simplification holds.

Homework Equations

cos(2t) = cos^2(t) - sin^2(t) = 1-2sin^2(t) = 2cos^2(t) - 1

The Attempt at a Solution

My attempt was the following

cos(2*arcsin(2x))

let arcsin(2x) = delta (or t)
so cos(2t) = double angle formula

cos2(t) = 1-2sin^2(t)
replace t, and by definition sin(arcsinx) = x
so i think i got 1-2*(2x)^2 = 1-8x^2

please verify for me

thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
jwxie said:

Homework Statement

cos(2 * arcsin(2x))

Use a triangle to simplify each expression. Where application, state the range of x's for which the simplification holds.

Homework Equations

cos(2t) = cos^2(t) - sin^2(t) = 1-2sin^2(t) = 2cos^2(t) - 1

The Attempt at a Solution

My attempt was the following

cos(2*arcsin(2x))

let arcsin(2x) = delta (or t)
so cos(2t) = double angle formula

cos2(t) = 1-2sin^2(t)
replace t, and by definition sin(arcsinx) = x
so i think i got 1-2*(2x)^2 = 1-8x^2

please verify for me

thank you

That's what I get.

Related to How Do You Simplify cos(2 * arcsin(2x))?

1. What is a trigno expression?

A trigno expression is a mathematical expression that involves trigonometric functions, such as sine, cosine, and tangent, and uses variables or constants as inputs.

2. Why is simplifying trigno expressions important?

Simplifying trigno expressions allows for easier manipulation and calculation of the expression. It can also reveal patterns and relationships between different expressions.

3. How do you simplify a trigno expression?

To simplify a trigno expression, you can use trigonometric identities, such as the Pythagorean identities, to rewrite the expression in a simpler form. You can also use algebraic techniques, such as factoring and combining like terms, to simplify the expression.

4. Can all trigno expressions be simplified?

Yes, all trigno expressions can be simplified using the appropriate techniques. However, some expressions may be simpler than others and may not require as many steps to simplify.

5. What are some common mistakes when simplifying trigno expressions?

Some common mistakes include forgetting to use trigonometric identities, making errors in algebraic simplification, and forgetting to distribute negative signs when combining terms. It is important to check your work and make sure you have followed all necessary steps to simplify the expression correctly.

Back