How Do You Simplify Logarithmic Expressions in Combinatorics?

• Thread starter Jenkz
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Logarithms
In summary, a logarithm is a mathematical function that represents the exponent or power to which a base number must be raised to produce a given number. We need to rearrange logarithms to manipulate and simplify equations, and this can be done using properties such as the product rule, quotient rule, power rule, and change of base formula. The product rule states that the logarithm of a product is equal to the sum of the logarithms of each factor, while the power rule allows us to move the power from the argument of the logarithm to the front as a coefficient.
Jenkz

Homework Statement

Show that ln[ (N + M - 1)! /M! (N-1)! ] is equal to N ln((N+M) / N) + M ln((N+M) /M).

Homework Equations

Using stirling's formula ln N! ~ N lnN - N

The Attempt at a Solution

ln[ (N + M - 1)! /M! (N-1)! ] (a)
= (N+M -1) ln(N+M -1)- (N+M -1) - M lnM + M - (N-1) ln(N-1) + (N-1) (b)
=(N+M) ln(N+M) - M lnM - N lnN (c)
= N ln( (N+M)/N) + M ln ( (N+M) / M) (d)I understand how to get from (a) to (b), and (c) to (d). But I don't understand what happens from (b) to (c). What has happened to the -1 values?

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org

In step (b), the -1 values have been factored out. This is because of the properties of logarithms, specifically the property that ln(a/b) = ln(a) - ln(b). So in step (b), the -1 values have been factored out and combined with the -1 in the numerator, resulting in (N+M-1). Similarly, the (N-1) term in the denominator has been factored out and combined with the (N-1) in the numerator, resulting in just N. This is why in step (c), the -1 values are no longer present.

FAQ: How Do You Simplify Logarithmic Expressions in Combinatorics?

What is a logarithm?

A logarithm is a mathematical function that represents the exponent or power to which a base number must be raised to produce a given number.

Why do we need to rearrange logarithms?

Rearranging logarithms allows us to manipulate and simplify equations involving logarithms, making them easier to solve.

What are the properties of logarithms that can be used for rearranging?

The properties of logarithms that can be used for rearranging include the product rule, quotient rule, power rule, and change of base formula.

How do I apply the product rule to rearrange logarithms?

The product rule states that the logarithm of a product is equal to the sum of the logarithms of each factor. This can be used to rearrange logarithms by breaking down a single logarithm into multiple logarithms with simpler arguments.

Can I use the power rule to rearrange logarithms?

Yes, the power rule states that the logarithm of a number raised to a power is equal to the product of the power and the logarithm of the number. This can be used to move the power from the argument of the logarithm to the front of the logarithm as a coefficient.