How Do You Simplify Oxidation-Reduction Reactions?

• Thread starter superdude
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Difficulty
In summary, the problem asks you to assign ox states to the compounds, then to "split the elements" but if it is a polyatomic ion, you keep that together. Then you would split HNO3 into H^+1 + NO3^-1.
superdude
Hello,

Can someone please explain to me something here please? In this oxidation problem

Na2Cr2O7 + HNO3 + Na2SO3 yields NaNO3 + Cr(NO3)3 + Na2SO4 + H2O

I know S is Oxidized and Cr is Reduced. However, when I look at the solution set, I am get completely confused.

They are putting

SO3^2- yields SO4^2- for oxidation and for reduction they have Cr2O7^2- yields 2 Cr ^ 3+.

I understand how to get what is Oxidized and what is reduced.

However, I am having trouble knowing what to eliminate. How can they just get read of the Na2 in the first one and (NO3)3 in the second one? Is there some sort of rule that tells you what you can get rid of? Also, once they do get rid of half of the original ion, how do they assign the charge? Is the charge just the polyatomic charge of sulfite and sulfate?

Thanks in advance

Physics news on Phys.org
open second review, it seems that they separated polyatomic ions from the main elements. is this possible? and would you follow this step for other ox redox reactions?

Write down each compound as a sum of its "ionic" species (example: [itex]Na_2Cr_2O_7 = 2Na^+ + Cr_2O_7^{2-}[/itex]). Then you just throw away all the ions that do not change their oxidation states (example: [itex]Na^+, NO_3^-, H^+)[/itex].

So would this turn out to be:

2 Na + Cr2O7^2- + H + NO3 2- + 2 Na + SO3 ^ 2- yields Na + NO3 + Cr(NO3)3 + 2 NA + SO4 ^ 3 + H2O

and when you refer to "ionic" species, what are you referring to exactly?

Thanks for the help

Last edited:
I mean that you have to include the charges on all species.

Na and H should both have a charge of 1+ (or simply +). Also, the charge on the nitrate ion (NO3) is 1-, not 2-.

And finally, you have yet to split up Cr(NO3)3 into its parts.

I think I am beginning to understand this now.

1. Assign ox states, see what is oxidized and what is reduced.

2. "Split the elements", but if it is a polyatomic ion, you keep that together.

In this problem, you would split

Na2Cr2O7 into 2Na^+1 + 2Cr^6 + 7O^-2.

Then you would split HNO3 into H^+1 + NO3^-1.

Disregarding this problem, should you also keep all Oxygen's next to an element?

For Instance:

I2 + HNO3 -------> NaIO3 + NO3

I is oxidized and N is reduced.

would the equation for I be I2 ---------> I03

and for N be NO3^1 ---------> Na^+1.

Thanks in advance

FAQ: How Do You Simplify Oxidation-Reduction Reactions?

1. What is Ox-Redox?

Ox-Redox, short for oxidation-reduction, is a chemical reaction in which one substance transfers electrons to another substance.

2. Why is Ox-Redox important?

Ox-Redox reactions play a crucial role in many biological processes, such as cellular respiration and photosynthesis, as well as in industrial processes, such as metal extraction and wastewater treatment.

3. What are some examples of Ox-Redox reactions?

Some common examples of Ox-Redox reactions include rusting of iron, combustion of fuels, and the reaction between bleach and hair dye.

4. What factors can affect the rate of an Ox-Redox reaction?

The rate of an Ox-Redox reaction can be affected by factors such as temperature, concentration of reactants, and the presence of catalysts or inhibitors.

5. How can I solve difficulties with Ox-Redox?

If you are having difficulty with Ox-Redox, it is important to review the basic principles and equations of oxidation and reduction. You can also seek help from a chemistry tutor or utilize online resources and practice problems to improve your understanding.

Back