How Do You Solve a Hyperbolic Function Using Natural Logs?

• Thread starter KatieLynn
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Natural
In summary, the conversation discusses solving the equation e^x - e^-x = -2 by taking the natural logarithm of both sides, but this is not a valid method as the natural logarithm of a negative number is undefined. Instead, the equation can be solved by multiplying both sides by e^x and using the quadratic formula to find the value of e^x. This can then be used to find the value of x by taking the natural logarithm of both sides. Other methods, such as factoring, may also be possible.
KatieLynn

Homework Statement

e^x - e^-x all divided by 2 = -1
express answer in natural logs

Homework Equations

No equations, just properties of logs and natural logs

The Attempt at a Solution

First, I multiplied everything by 2

e^x - e^-x = -2

then i took the natural log of both sides and brought down the exponent

(x)Ln(e) + (x)Ln(e) = -2

so you can simplify that i think to

2xLn(e) = -2

so x= -2/(2Lne)

which Lne is 1 so

x=-2/1

x=-2?

I don't think that's right because it says express answer in natural logs so it should simplify out that easily.

Physics news on Phys.org
I think you missed something.

When you turn
e^x - e^-x = -2

into

(x)Ln(e) + (x)Ln(e) = -2

the -2 is part of it too. So it should be

(x)Ln(e) + (x)Ln(e) = Ln(-2)

KatieLynn said:

Homework Statement

e^x - e^-x all divided by 2 = -1
express answer in natural logs

Homework Equations

No equations, just properties of logs and natural logs

The Attempt at a Solution

First, I multiplied everything by 2

e^x - e^-x = -2

then i took the natural log of both sides and brought down the exponent

(x)Ln(e) + (x)Ln(e) = -2

so you can simplify that i think to

2xLn(e) = -2

so x= -2/(2Lne)

which Lne is 1 so

x=-2/1

x=-2?

I don't think that's right because it says express answer in natural logs so it should simplify out that easily.

sourlemon said:
I think you missed something.

When you turn
e^x - e^-x = -2

into

(x)Ln(e) + (x)Ln(e) = -2

the -2 is part of it too. So it should be

(x)Ln(e) + (x)Ln(e) = Ln(-2)
Unfortunately you are both wrong. You can't just "turn e^x- e^-x= -2 into Ln(e^x)+ Ln(e^-x)".

You can't "take the natural logarithm of both sides because, as sourlemon said, you must also take the natural logarithm of -2 and that is not defined: the domain of Ln(x)is "all positive x". Even if it were +2 on the right side, Ln(x+ y) is NOT Ln(x)+ Ln(y).

Instead, go back to e^x- e^-x= -2 and multiply both sides by e^x: (e^x)^2- 1= 2(e^x) or y^2- 1= 2y (taking y= e^x) so y^2- 2y= 1. You can solve that by completing the square on the left: y^2- 2y+ 1= (y-1)^2= 2 so y= [itex]1\pm\sqrt{2}[/itex].
Once you have [itex]e^x= 1+ \sqrt{2}[/itex], then take the Ln of both sides. (Do you see why [itex]e^x= 1- \sqrt{2}[/itex] is not possible?

I beat you Compuchip!

Last edited by a moderator:
Also note that in general, log(a + b) is not equal to log(a) + log(b). For example, log(1 + 0) = log(1) = 0 =/= log(1) + log(0) = [itex]-\infty[/itex]. There is just a rule saying that log(a * b) = log(a) + log(b). Instead, multiply both sides by [itex]e^x[/itex] and first solve it for [itex]y = e^x[/itex] as a quadratic expression. Then you can take the logarithm.

[edit]Wow, you are fast :smile:[/edit]

I think you can't do [itex]e^x= 1- \sqrt{2}[/itex] because it would be a negative answer and logs have to be greater than zero.I understand how you solved the problem but I was never taught to do it that way, are there other way to solve the problem other than completing the square?

Is it possible to factor it?

Related to How Do You Solve a Hyperbolic Function Using Natural Logs?

1. What is the value of "e" in natural logs?

The value of "e" is a mathematical constant approximately equal to 2.71828.

2. How is natural log (ln) different from logarithms with other bases?

Natural logarithm (ln) is a logarithm with a base of "e", while logarithms with other bases have different numerical bases such as 10 or 2.

3. How do you solve an "e" problem in logarithms?

To solve an "e" problem in logarithms, you first need to convert the logarithmic equation to exponential form by raising "e" to the power of both sides. Then, you can solve for the unknown variable by using algebraic methods.

4. What are the properties of natural logarithms?

The properties of natural logarithms include the product property, quotient property, power property, and the natural log of "e" equals 1. These properties allow for simplification and solving of logarithmic equations.

5. How are natural logarithms used in real life?

Natural logarithms have numerous applications in fields like science, finance, and statistics. They are used to model growth and decay, calculate interest rates, and analyze data. They are also used in calculus to solve complex equations and find derivatives.