How Do You Solve an Integral That Resembles Sin(x)/x?

In summary, the problem was to integrate sinx/x, and the person found a theorem that allowed him to solve it.
Anonymous217

Homework Statement

I was messing around with various integral problems for a test a few months before, and I got stuck on a problem I made up:
http://alt2.artofproblemsolving.com/Forum/latexrender/pictures/e/f/2/ef2e9abca8945a10d5df45e7b73755ecb34cf21d.gif

Homework Equations

No idea. I used everything in my Mathematics arsenal of Calculus BC.

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm very curious on learning on how to solve this. I developed some theorems and methods along the summer that ended up being already formed and used with slightly different notation. For example, I used a variant of U-substitution to solve for the differential equation: dy/dx = 2x - y. I was flabbergasted to see a differential equations textbook do exactly what I did. Not to sound pretentious, but I really want to know how this is solved. I can't stand having any math be unsolvable. I was researching a bit and is this at all similar to integral of sinx/x?
I used various forms of Integration by Parts, U-Substitution, Partial Fractions, and a couple others and it was unsuccessful. It looks like a inverse sinx on the bottom, but it's probably a much uglier solution. I think it requires a bit more advanced Calculus with series or something so that's where you guys come in! I would appreciate it if you guys can nudge me in the right direction.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Anonymous217 said:
I can't stand having any math be unsolvable.
Better get used to it. Most integrals cannot be calculated exactly, so there are lots of techniques for numerical approximation of these integrals.

So this one is unsolvable in terms of finding an exact solution/function?

I don't know, but I would guess that it probably can't be solved analytically.

Well, after x = sin y, that's just sin(sin(y)) dy which you can expand into a series with respect to powers of y if you really really want to solve it...

Thanks for the replies guys! Oh, wow, I can't believe I didn't see that before.

Ugh, this is lame. sin(sinx) has local maxes and local mins at rotating multiples of pi/2. Local maxes are at pi/2 + 2pi(k). Local mins are at 3pi/2 + 2pi(k). It has points of inflection at multiples of pi.
It looks just like the trig graph of sin(1)sinx. They have the exact same points of inflections and local extrema, yet they differ very slightly in all the other points. If only they were equal to each other.. The integral of sin1sinx is so much easier. I guess sin(sinx) by itself really is impossible to integrate analytically.
In other words, I got http://alt1.artofproblemsolving.com/Forum/latexrender/pictures/8/f/d/8fd759fa1ec45ab3f2e3d21d7af57b7f8e76c775.gif only when x = multiples of pi/2 or 0. But I think it's impossible to find a function that works for all other points or every point in general.

Last edited by a moderator:
[tex] \sin y = \sum_{n=0}^{\infty} \frac{(-1)^{n} y^{2n+1}}{(2n+1)!} [/tex]

[tex] \sin(\sin(y)) = \sum_{n,m =0}^{\infty} \frac{(-1)^{n} \left(\frac{(-1)^{m} y^{2m+1}}{(2m+1)!} \right)^{2n+1}}{(2n+1)!} [/tex]

[tex] \int dy \sin(\sin(y)) = \sum_{n,m =0}^{\infty} \frac{(-1)^{n} \left(\frac{(-1)^{m}}{(2m+1)!} \right)^{2n+1}}{(2n+1)!} \frac{y^{(2m+1)(2n+1)+1}}{(2m+1)(2n+1)}[/tex]

Enjoy.

thanks a lot! i love you.

Related to How Do You Solve an Integral That Resembles Sin(x)/x?

1. What is an integral problem?

An integral problem is a type of mathematical problem that involves finding the area under a curve or the accumulation of a quantity over a given interval. It is commonly used in calculus and is an important tool in many fields of science and engineering.

2. How do I know if I am stuck on an integral problem?

You may be stuck on an integral problem if you are having difficulty finding the appropriate limits of integration, determining which method to use, or solving the integrand. It is also common to feel stuck when trying to visualize and understand the problem conceptually.

3. What are some tips for solving an integral problem?

Some tips for solving an integral problem include identifying the type of integral (e.g. definite or indefinite), understanding the meaning of the integral in the context of the problem, using appropriate substitution or integration techniques, and checking your answer for accuracy.

4. What are common mistakes to avoid when solving an integral problem?

Common mistakes to avoid when solving an integral problem include incorrect substitution, forgetting to apply the chain rule, using the wrong limits of integration, and making simple algebraic errors. It is important to double check your work and be mindful of any potential mistakes.

5. How can I improve my skills in solving integral problems?

One way to improve your skills in solving integral problems is to practice regularly. You can also seek help from a tutor or online resources, such as video tutorials or practice problems. It is also helpful to review the fundamental concepts and techniques of integration to better understand the approach to solving integral problems.

Back