How Do You Solve an Integral Using Trigonometric Substitution?

In summary: Somehow I am supposed to get pi/8 but I don't understand the math once I get down to this point...Am I doing this all wrong? Thanks ahead for any help... :)In summary, these are the simplest trigonometric substitutions and you should use t = 4x to solve for the integral.
MarcZZ

Homework Statement

Hi I need help with the following integral.

[itex]\int_0^2 \! \frac{1}{(x^2+4)} \, dx [/itex]

Homework Equations

I believe that these are both trigonometric substitutions. However, these are the simplest in my textbook and I can't even understand them. :-(

The Attempt at a Solution

a) I said t = 4x

Thus [itex]\frac{1}{4} \int_0^2 \! \frac{1}{(x^2+1)} \, dt [/itex]

So dt = 4dx

[itex]\frac{1}{4} \int_0^2 \! \frac{4}{(x^2+1)} \, dx [/itex]

Therefore...

1/4 (tan^-1(x))|2 = b and 0 = a
1/4 (((tan^-1(1(2)/4)) - (tan^-1(1(0)/4)))

Somehow I am supposed to get pi/8 but I don't understand the math once I get down to this point...

Am I doing this all wrong? Thanks ahead for any help... :)

Physics news on Phys.org

Just using u-substitution (in this case t), won't accomplish much, I believe the problem calls for strict memorization of how the integrals of these kind of functions works.

We know that, the integral of 1/(x^2+1) is tan inverse of x, however a general way to look at it is [ (sqrt S) * tan inverse of (sqrt S * x) / S ) ] / S

Where S = the constant added int he denominator of the derivative of tan inverse.

Thus since you have 4, the correct integral is [2 * tan inverse (2*x/4) ] / 4

which turns out to be [ tan inverse (x/2) ] / 2, this is the correct integral and should get you yur answer

Mukuro said:
Just using u-substitution (in this case t), won't accomplish much, I believe the problem calls for strict memorization of how the integrals of these kind of functions works.

We know that, the integral of 1/(x^2+1) is tan inverse of x, however a general way to look at it is [ (sqrt S) * tan inverse of (sqrt S * x) / S ) ] / S

Where S = the constant added int he denominator of the derivative of tan inverse.

Thus since you have 4, the correct integral is [2 * tan inverse (2*x/4) ] / 4

which turns out to be [ tan inverse (x/2) ] / 2, this is the correct integral and should get you yur answer

And where could I learn this, as I sure as heck don't have anything on this in my notes or textbook...

Well I happen to be a student still, but when I was taking calculus, tbh my teacher just taught me how it worked. She didn't even bother to explain it, she just gave us the fact that the integral of that type of function was tan inverse of x and showed us how it worked.
I do not find that books cover every single little things, and if they happen to do they probably don't make it easy.

Mukuro said:
Well I happen to be a student still, but when I was taking calculus, tbh my teacher just taught me how it worked. She didn't even bother to explain it, she just gave us the fact that the integral of that type of function was tan inverse of x and showed us how it worked.
I do not find that books cover every single little things, and if they happen to do they probably don't make it easy.

I understand that 1 / 1 + x^2 is tan^-1(x), however I don't see where you got all these other (sqrt S) tan inverse (sqrt S * x) and so forth.

It's just how the integration of the functions works. The constant added in the denominator will ALWAYS follow the pattern I typed out. For instance, the integral of 1/ x^2 + 3

will be,

[sqrt 3 * tan inverse (sqrt 3 * x/3)]/3 this can be shown using something on the internet or a graphing calculator.

Yes the function you have in question has an elementary anti derivative. Namely arctan(x).

What is the derivative of arctan(x)?

MarcZZ said:

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

I believe that these are both trigonometric substitutions. However, these are the simplest in my textbook and I can't even understand them. :-(

a) I said t = 4x

So dt = 4dx

You did your substitution incorrectly.

Furthermore, you should use the substitution, x = 2t. That way, x2 = 4t2 .
Therefore...

Somehow I am supposed to get pi/8 but I don't understand the math once I get down to this point...

MarcZZ said:

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

a) I said t = 4x

Well, this is incorrect because you have "dt" but still have "x" in the integrand.

So dt = 4dx

And now all you have done is write almost the original integral except with a "1/4" in front of it! It cannot possibly be the same thing.

If you want to make the substitution t= 4x, then do the substitution! x= t/4 so, yes, dx= dt/4. And x^2+ 4= t^2/16+ 4. Surely, that's not what you wanted? That's much more complicated than what you have originally!

I think you were trying to get rid of the "4" in the denominator: you want [itex]x^2+ 4= 4t^2+ 4= 4(t^2+ 1)[/itex] so the substitution you want is x= 2t, NOT "t= 4x". With x= 2t, dx= 2dt and [itex]x^2+ 4= 4t^2+ 4= 4(t^2+ 1)[/itex] so the integral becomes
[tex]\int \frac{2dt}{4(t^2+ 1)}= \frac{2}{4}\int\frac{dt}{t^2+ 1}= \frac{1}{2}\int\frac{dt}{t^2+ 1}[/tex]

But don't forget to change the limits of integration. Originally they are x= 0 and x= 2. With x= 2t= 0, t= 0 and with x= 2t= 2, t= 1 so your integral should be
[tex]\frac{1}{2}\int_0^1 \frac{dt}{t^2+ 1}[/tex]

Therefore...

Yes, you are doing that all wrong. You appear to be trying to copy half remembered examples blindly without thinking about what you are doing.

FAQ: How Do You Solve an Integral Using Trigonometric Substitution?

1. What is a trigonometric substitution?

A trigonometric substitution is a technique used in calculus to simplify integrals involving expressions with a square root of the form √(a^2 - x^2), √(x^2 - a^2), or √(x^2 + a^2). It involves replacing the variable with a trigonometric function, such as sine, cosine, or tangent, which allows for the integral to be evaluated more easily.

2. When should I use a trigonometric substitution?

Trigonometric substitutions are useful when dealing with integrals involving square roots of expressions that contain trigonometric functions. These substitutions can also be used to simplify integrals involving rational functions, exponents, and logarithms.

3. How do I choose the appropriate trigonometric substitution?

The choice of trigonometric substitution depends on the form of the expression within the square root. For expressions of the form √(a^2 - x^2), the substitution x = a sinθ is typically used. For expressions of the form √(x^2 - a^2), the substitution x = a secθ is commonly used. And for expressions of the form √(x^2 + a^2), the substitution x = a tanθ is often used.

4. What are the benefits of using a trigonometric substitution?

Trigonometric substitutions can make evaluating integrals much simpler and more manageable. They can also help in solving differential equations and in finding exact solutions to problems involving geometric figures.

5. Are there any limitations to using trigonometric substitutions?

While trigonometric substitutions can be incredibly useful, they are not always applicable. They are most effective when dealing with integrals involving square roots of expressions containing trigonometric functions. However, if the integral does not contain any trigonometric functions, then a trigonometric substitution may not be the best method to use.