How Do You Solve Combination Problems with Duplicate Elements Efficiently?

• Thread starter John112
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Counting
In summary, the conversation discusses methods for finding the answer to combination problems, specifically with duplicate letters. The formula for calculating the number of distinct sequences is mentioned, which involves dividing the total number of arrangements by the factorial of the number of duplicate letters. A proof for this formula is mentioned and can be found through a simple Google search.
John112
Are there efficient methods of findings the answer to combination problems like these?

The letters A, A, B and C are arranged in any order. How many DISTINCT sequences can we form?

If two letters weren't the same, then it would be simple. I can find the answer relatively easily since it's only 4 letters. Imagine if this was a sequence of 10 letters where two letters were the same. Then creating all possible combinations would be really inefficient and laboring. Is this any trick for problems where duplicate letters exist?

P.S. By the way the answer is 12. I found it by creating a tree diagram.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
John112 said:
Are there efficient methods of findings the answer to combination problems like these?

The letters A, A, B and C are arranged in any order. How many DISTINCT sequences can we form?

If two letters weren't the same, then it would be simple. I can find the answer relatively easily since it's only 4 letters. Imagine if this was a sequence of 10 letters where two letters were the same. Then creating all possible combinations would be really inefficient and laboring. Is this any trick for problems where duplicate letters exist?

P.S. By the way the answer is 12. I found it by creating a tree diagram.

If the A's were distinct, the number of arrangements would be 4! = 24. Now for each arrangement, wherever the two different A's are, there is another arrangement that is exactly the same except the A's are swapped. These two arrangements would be indistinguishable if the A's are the same, so that cuts the number of distinct arrangements in half, which gives 12.

In general if you have n objects of which k are the same, the number of arrangements is$$
\frac{n!}{k!}$$Do you see why?

LCKurtz said:
In general if you have n objects of which k are the same, the number of arrangements is$$
\frac{n!}{k!}$$Do you see why?
Yeah, I saw that. I wasn't sure whether that pattern of dividing by k factorial would hold for bigger sequences. I was trying to find a proof for that. Thanks for the helpful response. By the way is there already a proof for that general formula?

John112 said:
Yeah, I saw that. I wasn't sure whether that pattern of dividing by k factorial would hold for bigger sequences. I was trying to find a proof for that. Thanks for the helpful response. By the way is there already a proof for that general formula?

Yes. Google permutations with some alike. One hit is:
http://dwb4.unl.edu/Chem/CHEM869N/CHEM869NMats/Permutations.html

The idea is that the k things that are alike would have given k! permutations but only one if they were the same.

Last edited by a moderator:

I can say that there are indeed efficient methods for finding the answer to combination problems like the one presented. One such method is known as the "combination formula," which is used to calculate the number of distinct combinations that can be formed from a set of objects, taking into account repeating elements. In this particular case, the formula would be n! / (n1! * n2! * ... * nk!), where n is the total number of objects, and n1, n2, etc. represent the number of repeated elements.

In the example given, n = 4 (A, A, B, C), so the formula would be 4! / (2! * 1! * 1!) = 12, which matches the answer found by creating a tree diagram. This formula is much more efficient than manually creating all possible combinations, especially for larger sets of objects.

Another efficient technique for solving combination problems is the use of generating functions, which represent the different combinations as coefficients in a polynomial equation. This method is particularly useful for more complex problems with multiple sets of objects and repeating elements.

In conclusion, as a scientist, I can assure you that there are efficient methods for solving combination problems, even when duplicate elements are present. These techniques not only save time and effort but also showcase the power of mathematical concepts in problem-solving.

Related to How Do You Solve Combination Problems with Duplicate Elements Efficiently?

1. What are efficient counting techniques?

Efficient counting techniques refer to a variety of methods used to count large quantities accurately and quickly. These techniques are commonly used in mathematics, statistics, and other fields that require precise counting.

2. Why are efficient counting techniques important?

Efficient counting techniques are important because they allow us to accurately and quickly count large quantities, which can be time-consuming and prone to errors when done manually. These techniques also help us to analyze data and make informed decisions based on the results.

3. What are some examples of efficient counting techniques?

Some examples of efficient counting techniques include the use of tally marks, multiplication and division, the use of counting boards or abacuses, and algorithms such as the Sieve of Eratosthenes. These techniques can vary depending on the type of data being counted and the specific problem at hand.

4. How do efficient counting techniques differ from traditional counting methods?

Efficient counting techniques differ from traditional counting methods in that they are specifically designed to count large quantities accurately and quickly. Traditional counting methods may be more time-consuming and prone to errors, as they rely on manual counting and may not have the same level of precision.

5. Can efficient counting techniques be applied in real-world situations?

Yes, efficient counting techniques can be applied in real-world situations. They are commonly used in fields such as finance, economics, and population studies, where large quantities of data need to be accurately and quickly counted. These techniques can also be applied in everyday life, such as when counting inventory or tracking expenses.