How Do You Solve Complex Astrophysics Calculations?

In summary, the first conversation discusses calculating the orbital period for Jupiter's moon Io, while the second conversation talks about the orbital speed and period for a spaceship orbiting a white dwarf. The third conversation involves estimating the mass of a galaxy based on the Sun's orbit, and the fourth conversation asks for the altitude of a satellite to complete a circular orbit of Earth in 1.8 hours. The person asking for help has already solved 15 other questions and is seeking guidance on these particular questions.
smw1016
Calculate the orbital period for Jupiter's moon Io, which orbits from the center of the planet.

A white dwarf is a collapsed star with roughly the mass of the Sun compressed into the size of the Earth. What would be (a) the orbital speed and (b) the orbital period for a spaceship in orbit just above the surface of a white dwarf?

Given that our Sun orbits the galaxy with a period of 200 at a distance of from the galactic center, estimate the mass of the galaxy. Assume (incorrectly) that the galaxy is essentially spherical and that most of its mass lies interior to the Sun's orbit.

and
To how many Sun-mass stars is your estimate equivalent?

At what altitude will a satellite complete a circular orbit of the Earth in 1.8h ?

thank you thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF - when you submitted the question did you see some instructions about showing you work and what you had attempted?
Telling you the answers is no different from us just saying that the answer sheets are in the top left drawer of the teachers desk.

yea there were 15 questions and i solved them all but this ones... i don't know where to start.. please help me thank you

1, lookup orbit or orbital period. For a small body orbiting a much larger one there is an equation only containing the mass of the larger body and the radius. You should be able to find the mass of Jupiter and the radius of Io's orbit on wikipedia.

mgb_phys said:
Welcome to PF - when you submitted the question did you see some instructions about showing you work and what you had attempted?
Telling you the answers is no different from us just saying that the answer sheets are in the top left drawer of the teachers desk.
yea there were 15 questions and i solved them all but this ones... i don't know where to start.. please help me thank you

Related to How Do You Solve Complex Astrophysics Calculations?

1. How can I improve my problem-solving skills in mastering physics?

To improve your problem-solving skills in mastering physics, it is important to practice regularly and familiarize yourself with the concepts and formulas. You can also seek help from a tutor or join a study group to discuss and work through problems together.

2. What is the best approach to tackling challenging mastering physics problems?

The best approach to tackling challenging mastering physics problems is to break them down into smaller, more manageable parts. Start by identifying the given information and what is being asked, and then work through the problem step by step using the appropriate formulas and concepts.

3. How can I use the tools and resources provided in mastering physics to my advantage?

Mastering physics offers a variety of tools and resources to help you understand and solve problems. Take advantage of the interactive tutorials, simulations, and videos to reinforce your understanding of the material. You can also use the hints and feedback provided in the problem sets to guide you towards the correct solution.

4. Is there a specific strategy for approaching mastering physics problems?

There is no one-size-fits-all strategy for approaching mastering physics problems. However, some effective strategies include reading the problem carefully, drawing diagrams or visual aids to help visualize the problem, and working through the problem step by step using the appropriate formulas and concepts.

5. How can I check my answers for mastering physics problems?

You can check your answers for mastering physics problems by using the "Check Answer" feature provided in the platform. This will compare your answer to the correct one and provide feedback if there are any errors. You can also refer to the solution manual or seek help from your instructor or peers if you are still unsure about your answer.