How Do You Solve Complex Pendulum Equations in Physics Homework?

In summary: I'll try again.In summary, the three homework equations are:Centripetal force = m v^2/RT = centripetal force + wSigma F = m.a
BvU said:
That's what I get for looking at the answers too summarily. Sorry.

No. Kinetic energy is never negative (*). The potential energy at D is not ##mg(2b-a)## but ##mg(a-2b)## because the height at D is lower than the height at A.

(*)
Both ##m## and ##v^2## are non-negative. For kinetic energy there is no direction, so 'because it goes to the left' does not apply.
ok somehow maybe I understand. i'll try again then

Physics news on Phys.org
BvU said:
That's what I get for looking at the answers too summarily. Sorry.

No. Kinetic energy is never negative (*). The potential energy at D is not ##mg(2b-a)## but ##mg(a-2b)## because the height at D is lower than the height at A.

(*)
Both ##m## and ##v^2## are non-negative. For kinetic energy there is no direction, so 'because it goes to the left' does not apply.
ok somehow maybe I understand. i'll try again then

How do you know its above height C when mg exceeds mv^2/R ? And can you give me another hint to work on tetha to find v?

Helly123 said:
How do you know its above height C when mg exceeds mv^2/R ? And can you give me another hint to work on tetha to find v?
Draw a free body diagram with the mass somewhere between heights C and D, string still taut. Let the string make angle theta to the vertical here.
What is the speed of the mass, as a function of theta?
Write the ΣF=ma equation for the vertical direction.

haruspex said:
Draw a free body diagram with the mass somewhere between heights C and D, string still taut. Let the string make angle theta to the vertical here.
What is the speed of the mass, as a function of theta?
Write the ΣF=ma equation for the vertical direction.
How if i used ΣF = ma on horizontal? Or i make all force in tetha direction?

Helly123 said:
Or i make all force in tetha direction?
Yes, sorry, that's better. ΣF=ma along the direction of the string.

haruspex said:
Yes, sorry, that's better. ΣF=ma along the direction of the string.
But I am confused little bit. Let's say i make SigmaF = ma is
T + mg.cos tetha - centrifugal force = m.a
T + mgcos tetha - mv^2/R = m.a
There's only 1 equation.
To find v and T (2 variables) at least i should have 2 equations..

Helly123 said:
T + mg.cos tetha - centrifugal force = m.a
You can choose to work in an inertial frame or in the frame of reference of the mass.
In the mass' frame of reference, there is centrifugal force but the acceleration is, by definition, zero.
In the inertial frame, there is no centrifugal force but there is centripetal acceleration, i.e., the component of the resulting acceleration that is normal to the velocity.
The two equations that result are the same.

haruspex said:
You can choose to work in an inertial frame or in the frame of reference of the mass.
In the mass' frame of reference, there is centrifugal force but the acceleration is, by definition, zero.
In the inertial frame, there is no centrifugal force but there is centripetal acceleration, i.e., the component of the resulting acceleration that is normal to the velocity.

For example i used frame of reference of the mass. SigmaF = m.a
When starts to bend, means T = 0? You said a = 0. Why a zero?
So, W - Centrifugal f = 0
M.g - m.v^2/R = 0
gR = v^2
V = sqrt g(a-b)
V = sqrt g(1/2a)
The right answer is sqrt g(1/3a)
What's wrong??

Helly123 said:
Why a zero?
In the frame of reference of the mass, the mass is stationary.
Helly123 said:
M.g - m.v^2/R = 0
What happened to cos theta? You had that in post #42.

haruspex said:
In the frame of reference of the mass, the mass is stationary.

What happened to cos theta? You had that in post #42.
Mgcos tetha - m.v^2/R = 0
Costetha gR = v^2
V = sqrt g(a-b) cos tetha
V = sqrt g(1/2a) cos tetha
But still...
The right answer is sqrt g(1/3)

haruspex said:
For inertial force, there's centripetal force? Can you give me hint how to work using inertial force?

Helly123 said:
V = sqrt g(a-b) cos tetha
No. When the angle is theta, how far is the mass above the peg? How far below point A does that make it?
Helly123 said:
For inertial force, there's centripetal force?
Centripetal force is not an actual applied force, like gravity or tension. It is merely that component of the net force which is normal to the velocity. It produces the radial acceleration.
In the vector equation ##\Sigma \vec {F_i}=m\vec a##, we can split the acceleration into the tangential acceleration (the component parallel to the velocity vector) and the radial acceleration (the component normal to the velocity): ##\Sigma F_i=m\vec {a_t}+m\vec {a_r}##. The centripetal force is ##m\vec {a_r}##.

Likes Helly123
After a week i finally solved this question. Thanks for all your help guys!