How Do You Solve Complex Valued Line Integrals?

In summary, complex valued line integrals are mathematical concepts used to calculate the total value of a function along a given curve or path in the complex plane. They take into account both the real and imaginary components of the function, making them useful in various fields such as mathematics, physics, and engineering. To calculate a complex valued line integral, the given curve or path must be parameterized and then integrated over. These integrals have many applications, including solving real-world problems, and can be evaluated using techniques such as the Cauchy-Goursat theorem, Cauchy's integral formula, and the residue theorem. Other methods, such as Green's theorem and Stokes' theorem, can also be applied in certain cases.
Mathman23
Hi there I got a couple of question regarding the topic above

Homework Statement

(a) Given the integrals

[tex]\int \limit_{0}^{i} \frac{dz}{(1-z)^2}[/tex]
[tex]\int_{i}^{2i} (cos(z)) dz [/tex]
[tex]\int_{0}^{i\pi} e^{z} dz[/tex]

(1)write this as a Line integral on the form [tex]\int_{\gamma} f(\gamma(t)) \cdot \gamma'(t) dt[/tex] and
(2)Next find sum the of integrals using anti-derivatives.

(b)
Here am I unsure. How do I approach to calculate ?

[tex]\int_{\gamma_{n}} \frac{dz}{z}[/tex] where is [tex]\gamma_{n}:[0,2\pi] \rightarrow \mathbb{C} [/tex] is a parameter presentation of the unit circle, where [tex]n \in \mathbb{Z} - \{0\}[/tex] and which runs through

[tex]\gamma_{n}(t) = e^{itn}[/tex]

Homework Equations

Have I understood and solved (a) correctly?

What about (b) could somebody please be so kind give me a hint/(some help) :) ?

The Attempt at a Solution

attempted Solution A:

I choose [tex]\gamma(t) = t \cdot i[/tex] where [tex]t \in [0,1][/tex]

Since [tex]\gamma(t)' = i[/tex] then the solution is

[tex]\int_{\gamma} \frac{dt \cdot i}{(1-(it))^2} = \int_{0}^{1} \frac{dt \cdot i}{(1-(it))^2} = -1/2 + 1/2 \cdot i[/tex]

the finding the sum of the original integral

[tex]\int_{0}^{i} \frac{dz}{(1-(z))^2} = -1/2 + 1/2 \cdot i [/tex]

Second integral:

[tex]\int_{0}^{i\pi} e^{z} dz = \int_{\gamma} (e^{it} \cdot i) dt = \int_{0}^{\pi} (e^{it} \cdot i) dt = -2 [/tex]

finding the sum of the integral:

[tex]\int_{0}^{i\pi} e^{z} dz = -2[/tex]

(B) Attempted solution

If [tex]\int_{\gamma_{n}} \frac{dz}{z}[/tex], then to solve this integral using the definition of the line integral

then I take [tex]\int_{\gamma_{n}} \frac{dz}{z} = \int_{0}^{2\pi} \frac{1}{e^{t \cdot n \cdot i}} \cdot \frac{d}{dt}(e^{t \cdot n \cdot i}) dt = 2 \cdot n \cdot \pi \cdot i[/tex]

where [tex]n \in \mathbb{Z} - \{0\}[/tex]

Could this be the solution?

Best Regards
Fred

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

Hi Fred,

Your attempted solutions for (a) and (b) both seem to be correct. For (a), you correctly used the definition of a line integral to rewrite the given integrals. For (b), you used the parameterization of the unit circle to rewrite the integral and then applied the definition of a line integral.

To approach (b), you could also use Cauchy's Integral Formula, which states that for a function f(z) that is analytic in a simply connected region D, and a closed curve \gamma in D, we have:

\int_{\gamma} \frac{f(z)}{z-z_0} dz = 2 \pi i \cdot f(z_0)

where z_0 is any point inside the region D enclosed by \gamma. In this case, we have f(z) = 1 and z_0 = 0, so the integral becomes:

\int_{\gamma_n} \frac{1}{z} dz = 2 \pi i

This approach may be easier for some people, but your solution using the definition of a line integral is also correct.

Hope this helps!

Related to How Do You Solve Complex Valued Line Integrals?

What are complex valued line integrals?

Complex valued line integrals are mathematical concepts used to calculate the total value of a function along a given curve or path in the complex plane. They take into account both the real and imaginary components of the function, making them useful in understanding and solving problems involving complex numbers.

How do you calculate a complex valued line integral?

To calculate a complex valued line integral, you first need to parameterize the given curve or path. This means expressing the x and y coordinates of the curve as functions of a single variable, typically denoted by t. Then, you integrate the function over the curve using the parameterization and substitute the limits of integration for t. The resulting value is the complex valued line integral.

What is the significance of complex valued line integrals?

Complex valued line integrals have many applications in mathematics, physics, and engineering. They are particularly useful in solving problems involving vector fields, electric and magnetic fields, and fluid flow. They also play a crucial role in complex analysis, which is the study of functions of complex numbers.

Can complex valued line integrals be used to solve real-world problems?

Yes, complex valued line integrals are often used to solve real-world problems in various fields. For example, they are used in electromagnetism to calculate the work done by an electric field on a charged particle, in fluid mechanics to calculate the work done by a fluid on an object, and in signal processing to analyze and manipulate signals in the complex plane.

What are some common techniques for evaluating complex valued line integrals?

Some common techniques for evaluating complex valued line integrals include the Cauchy-Goursat theorem, Cauchy's integral formula, and the residue theorem. These techniques involve using properties of analytic functions and complex contour integration to simplify and calculate the integrals. Other methods, such as the use of Green's theorem and Stokes' theorem, can also be applied in certain cases.