How Do You Solve Determinants for Matrices A and B with Given Conditions?

• Thread starter Whiz
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Algebra
In summary, to find the determinants of matrices A and B satisfying given equations, use the properties det(AB)= det(A)det(B) and det(A transpose)= det(A) to set up two equations and solve for det(A) and det(B). The correct values are det(A) = 5 and det(B) = 2.
Whiz

Homework Statement

If A and B are 3 x 3 matrices satisfying det(2A(B^-1)) = -20 and det((A^2)(B(transpose))) = 50, find det(A) and det(B)

Homework Equations

None

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm not quite sure how to do the question at all. I've just been guessing the determinants and seeing if it satisfies the two equations. I found that det(A) = -5 and det(B) = 2, but I just guessed.

How can I work this out?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Use the facts that det(AB)= det(A)det(B), and that det(A transpose)= det(A) so that 2det(A)/det(B)= -20 and (det(A)2)det(B)= 50 so that you have two equations to solve for det(A) and det(B). (And det(A)= -5, det(B)= 2 is not correct. 2(-5)/(2)= -5, not -20.)

Can you solve 2x/y= -20 and x2y= 50?

And, the word is "determinant", not "determinate".

Thanks for the quick reply.

I'm not sure that's how you solve this question because the answer in the book is det(A) = 5 and det(B) = 2, which would make my answer wrong as well.

FAQ: How Do You Solve Determinants for Matrices A and B with Given Conditions?

1. What is determinate algebra?

Determinate algebra is a branch of mathematics that deals with finding the value of unknown variables in equations or expressions using a set of rules and operations.

2. What are the basic operations in determinate algebra?

The basic operations in determinate algebra include addition, subtraction, multiplication, division, and exponentiation. These operations are used to manipulate equations and expressions to solve for unknown variables.

3. How is determinate algebra different from other branches of algebra?

Determinate algebra focuses on equations and expressions that have a specific, finite solution. This is different from other branches of algebra, such as abstract algebra, which deal with more general concepts and structures.

4. Can determinate algebra be applied in real-life situations?

Yes, determinate algebra can be applied in various real-life situations, such as calculating interest rates, solving for unknown quantities in scientific equations, and analyzing data in statistics.

5. What are some common applications of determinate algebra in science and engineering?

Determinate algebra is commonly used in science and engineering for tasks such as modeling physical systems, analyzing data and experimental results, and solving equations in physics and chemistry. It is also essential in fields such as computer science and economics.