How Do You Solve for Variables in Algebraic Equations?

In summary, the conversation is about solving for variables in an algebraic equation. The person is seeking help and asking for someone to show their work. The conversation ends with a reminder to show work in order to receive help. The thread is then locked due to the original poster not showing any work.
xpaulinabearx

Homework Statement

http://www.spokaneschools.org/180020622143325240/lib/180020622143325240/WS_Algebraic_Manipulation.pdf

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

well all we have to do is sove for the variable indicated...but i really don't understand how to solve for the variables..lol, just basic high school physics. maybe I'm thinking too hard, but i seriosly need some help guys :( i solved a few of them, but idk if they're right, lolol :P i'd really appreciate it if you could also show your work! haha

Physics news on Phys.org
You will not get any help if you don't show your work. Post your results and someone may help you if there are any errors.

Have you studied algebra yet? All you are asked to do is manipulate the given equation to solve for the indicated variable. You don't need to know what the equation is for.

Dear student,

Algebraic manipulation of variables is a fundamental skill in mathematics and science. It involves using various mathematical operations such as addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division to manipulate equations and solve for unknown variables.

In order to solve for a variable, you must isolate it on one side of the equation by performing inverse operations. For example, if you have the equation 2x + 5 = 15, you can solve for x by first subtracting 5 from both sides to get 2x = 10. Then, you can divide both sides by 2 to get x = 5.

In the provided link, you will find a worksheet with various algebraic manipulation problems. The key to solving these problems is to carefully follow the order of operations and perform inverse operations to isolate the variable.

It is important to show your work when solving these problems so that you can check your answer and identify any mistakes you may have made. If you are having trouble with a specific problem, please provide the specific equation and your attempted solution so that I can assist you further.

I hope this helps and good luck with your homework!

FAQ: How Do You Solve for Variables in Algebraic Equations?

1. What is algebraic manipulation of variables?

Algebraic manipulation of variables is the process of rearranging algebraic expressions in order to simplify or solve for a certain variable.

2. Why is algebraic manipulation of variables important?

Algebraic manipulation allows us to solve for unknown quantities and manipulate equations to make them more useful and easier to work with.

3. What are the basic rules of algebraic manipulation?

The basic rules of algebraic manipulation include the distributive property, combining like terms, and the commutative, associative, and identity properties of addition and multiplication.

4. How do I know when to use algebraic manipulation?

Algebraic manipulation is typically used when solving equations or simplifying expressions. It can also be used when working with geometric figures or in applications of mathematics.

5. What are some common mistakes to avoid when manipulating algebraic variables?

Some common mistakes to avoid include forgetting to apply the distributive property, incorrectly combining like terms, and making errors in the order of operations. It is important to double check your work and simplify each step before moving on to the next.

Back