How Do You Solve Limit Problems with Radicals and Zero in the Denominator?

In summary, the conversation revolved around solving the limit $\displaystyle \lim_{x \to a} \frac{x^2 - a^2}{\sqrt{x} - \sqrt{a}}$, with the initial problem of getting 0 in the denominator or 0/0. Suggestions were made to multiply the numerator and denominator by $\sqrt{x} + \sqrt{a}$ and then factorizing the equation to eventually get the solution $\displaystyle \lim_{x \to a} x\sqrt{x} + x\sqrt{a} + a\sqrt{x} + a\sqrt{a} = 4a\sqrt{a}$. A small tip was also given to use the code \sqrt
bnosam
\(\displaystyle \lim_{x \to a} \frac{ x^2 - a^2}{\sqrt(x) - \sqrt(a)}\)

I've tried to solve this standard, but I either end up with 0 in the denominator, or I end up with 0/0.

Any hints on what to do with this next?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
bnosam said:

I've tried to solve this standard, but I either end up with 0 in the denominator, or I end up with 0/0.

Thanks

Why don't multiply numerator and denominator by $\displaystyle \sqrt{x} + \sqrt{a}$?...

Kind regards

$\chi$ $\sigma$

chisigma said:
Why don't multiply numerator and denominator by $\displaystyle \sqrt{x} + \sqrt{a}$?...

Kind regards

$\chi$ $\sigma$

I tried that, however I end up with x - a, at the bottom, which leads to 0 in the denominator.\(\displaystyle \frac{x^2\sqrt(x) + x^2 \sqrt(a) - a^2\sqrt(x) - a^2\sqrt(a)}{x-a}\)

I suggest factorizing

\(\displaystyle (x^2-a^2)=(x-a)(x+a)=(\sqrt{x}-\sqrt{a})(\sqrt{x}+\sqrt{a})(x+a)\)

bnosam said:
I tried that, however I end up with x - a, at the bottom, which leads to 0 in the denominator.\(\displaystyle \frac{x^2\sqrt(x) + x^2 \sqrt(a) - a^2\sqrt(x) - a^2\sqrt(a)}{x-a}\)

$\displaystyle \frac{x^{2} - a^{2}}{\sqrt{x}-\sqrt{a}}\ \frac{\sqrt{x} + \sqrt{a}}{\sqrt{x} + \sqrt{a}} = \frac{x^{2}-a^{2}}{x-a}\ (\sqrt{x}+\sqrt{a})= (x+a)\ (\sqrt{x}+\sqrt{a})$

Kind regards

$\chi$ $\sigma$

chisigma said:
$\displaystyle \frac{x^{2} - a^{2}}{\sqrt{x}-\sqrt{a}}\ \frac{\sqrt{x} + \sqrt{a}}{\sqrt{x} + \sqrt{a}} = \frac{x^{2}-a^{2}}{x-a}\ (\sqrt{x}+\sqrt{a})= (x+a)\ (\sqrt{x}+\sqrt{a})$

Kind regards

$\chi$ $\sigma$

Ohh ok, I should have seen that.

\(\displaystyle x\sqrt(x) + x\sqrt(a) + a\sqrt(x) + a\sqrt(a)\)

\(\displaystyle = 4a\sqrt(a)\)

That seem right?

bnosam said:
Ohh ok, I should have seen that.

\(\displaystyle x\sqrt(x) + x\sqrt(a) + a\sqrt(x) + a\sqrt(a)\)

\(\displaystyle = 4a\sqrt(a)\)

That seem right?

It should technically be \[\color{red}{\lim\limits_{x\to a}} x\sqrt{x}+x\sqrt{a}+a\sqrt{x}+a\sqrt{a} = 4a\sqrt{a}\]
since you're supposed to include the $\displaystyle\lim_{x\to a}$ part in each line of your work leading up to the substitution of $x=a$ at the end of the problem.

Otherwise, everything looks fine to me!

bnosam said:

Thanks

Just a $\LaTeX$ tip:

Use the code \sqrt{x} instead of \sqrt(x) and the argument will be put under the radical, to get $\sqrt{x}$ instead of $\sqrt(x)$.

Related to How Do You Solve Limit Problems with Radicals and Zero in the Denominator?

1. What is a limit question with radicals?

A limit question with radicals is a type of mathematical problem that involves finding the limit of a function containing radicals (square roots, cube roots, etc.) as the input approaches a certain value. In other words, it is a way to determine the behavior of a function near a specific point.

2. How do you solve a limit question with radicals?

To solve a limit question with radicals, you can use algebraic techniques such as factoring, rationalizing the denominator, or multiplying by the conjugate. Additionally, you can use graphing or numerical methods to approximate the limit. It is important to note that not all limit questions with radicals have a solution.

3. What are the key steps to follow when solving a limit question with radicals?

The key steps to follow when solving a limit question with radicals are: 1. Simplify the expression by factoring or rationalizing the denominator if possible.2. Substitute the value the input is approaching into the simplified expression.3. If the resulting expression is indeterminate (e.g. 0/0 or ∞/∞), try using algebraic techniques or numerical methods to determine the limit.4. If the limit still cannot be determined, the function may not have a limit at that point.

4. What are some common mistakes to avoid when solving a limit question with radicals?

Some common mistakes to avoid when solving a limit question with radicals include: - Forgetting to simplify the expression before substituting the value.- Making arithmetic errors when simplifying the expression.- Using incorrect algebraic techniques or not understanding when to use them.- Not checking if the resulting expression is indeterminate.- Incorrectly assuming that a function has a limit at a certain point without proper justification.

5. Can a limit question with radicals have more than one solution?

Yes, a limit question with radicals can have more than one solution. This can happen when the function approaches a different value from the left and right sides of the input. In this case, the limit would be the average of the two values. Additionally, a limit question with radicals can also have no solution if the function has a discontinuity or approaches infinity.