How Do You Solve Particle Motion Problems in Physics Exams?

In summary, the conversation is about a student who took an exam and is unsure of their performance on a particular question. They provide a link to the exam paper and discuss their attempt at solving a problem involving circular motion. They ask for feedback on their work and the other person points out errors in their solution.
Woolyabyss

Homework Statement

So I just sat an exam today and I'm not sure how I did in this question. I think I did bad in it.

http://www.examinations.ie/archive/exampapers/2014/LC020GLP000EV.pdf

Its question 8

Homework Equations

F = mv^2/r

v=ωr

t=2(pi)r/v

The Attempt at a Solution

Q9

(a)

T=2(pi)r/v ...... 0.4pi = 2pi(2)/v

solving for v ... 10 m/s

v = rω

10 = 2ω ...... ω = 5 rad/s

a =v^2/r

a = 10^2/2 = 50 m/s^2

(i) 5 rad/s
(ii) 10 m/s
(iii) 50 m/s^2(B)

(i) r = 1sin30 = 0.5m

(ii) splitting its weight into components perpendicular and parallel to string

parallel force = 2gcos30 = √3 g N

Tension = parallel force
Tension = √3 g N

(iii) F = mv^2/r

√3 g = 2v^2/.5
solving for v = 2.06 m/s

v = ωr

2.06 = .5ω

ω = 4.12 rad/s

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
hmmm... well what exactly are you looking for? someone to check your work? If you're looking for that, the LEAST you can do is keep it all algebraic (symbolic) until the end. Too many numbers here.

That being said, I didn't work through the first one, but ii) in solving for the tension, your setup is wrong, which means you probably got the wrong answer. What do you know about the vertical acceleration if it's constrained to moving along that circle? What is the value of that component?

Now what else can you say that value is equal to?

also, you labeled it Q9, not Q8.

Related to How Do You Solve Particle Motion Problems in Physics Exams?

What is a particle in circular motion?

A particle in circular motion refers to an object that is moving along a circular path at a constant speed.

What causes a particle to move in a circular path?

A particle moves in a circular path due to the presence of a centripetal force, which is directed towards the center of the circle.

What is the relationship between speed and radius in circular motion?

The speed of a particle in circular motion is directly proportional to the radius of the circle. This means that as the radius increases, the speed of the particle also increases.

How does the direction of velocity change in circular motion?

In circular motion, the direction of velocity is constantly changing as the particle moves along the circular path. This change in direction is always perpendicular to the radius of the circle.

What is the difference between uniform circular motion and non-uniform circular motion?

Uniform circular motion refers to a particle moving at a constant speed along a circular path, while non-uniform circular motion refers to a particle moving at varying speeds along a circular path.

Back