How Do You Solve the Equation 4^x + 6(4^-x) = 5?

In summary, the conversation discussed the equation 4^x + 6(4^-x) = 5 and how to put it into a form that can be integrated or differentiated. The idea of taking a logarithm and using substitution were mentioned, leading to the form 4^x + 6(1/4)^x = 5. The equation was eventually recognized as quadratic.
Acnhduy

Homework Statement

4^x + 6(4^-x) = 5

Homework Equations

log? since this is the unit we are doing, but I'm not sure if it applies.

The Attempt at a Solution

I was thinking of changing 4^x to a variable like 'a', but 4^-x is not the same so I can't replace that with 'a' as well.
Then I though 4^-x = 1/4 ^x
So
4^x + 6[(1/4)^x] = 5

and I'm lost.

Physics news on Phys.org
You have:

$$4^{x}+6(4^{-x})=5$$ ... is that right?

... and you want to put it into some form that you can integrate or differentiate or something?
You suspect it has something to do with taking a logarithm - so do I :), since ##\log_4(4^x)=x## hugely simplifies the problem.

Your intuition to put ##a=4^x## is a good one - with that substitution you get:
$$a+\frac{6}{a}=5$$ ... which is hard to think about, so put it in standard form.
Hint: multiply both sides by ##a##.
What sort of equation is that?

Last edited:
Likes 1 person
it is actually,

4^x + 6(1/4)^x = 5

Quadratic :) thankyou

Well done :)

Related to How Do You Solve the Equation 4^x + 6(4^-x) = 5?

1. What are advanced functions?

Advanced functions refer to mathematical functions that are more complex and require a deeper understanding of algebra, trigonometry, calculus, and other mathematical concepts. These functions are often used in higher level mathematics and in scientific fields such as physics and engineering.

2. Why are advanced functions important?

Advanced functions are important because they allow us to model and solve real-world problems that cannot be solved with basic arithmetic or simple functions. They are also essential for understanding and furthering our knowledge in various fields of science and mathematics.

3. What are some examples of advanced functions?

Some examples of advanced functions include logarithmic functions, exponential functions, trigonometric functions, and polynomial functions. These functions have complex properties and can be used to model various phenomena such as growth, decay, and periodic behavior.

4. How do advanced functions differ from basic functions?

Advanced functions differ from basic functions in terms of complexity and the level of mathematical understanding required to work with them. Basic functions typically involve simple operations such as addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division, while advanced functions involve more complex operations and properties.

5. How can I improve my understanding and skills in advanced functions?

Improving your understanding and skills in advanced functions can be achieved through practice and seeking additional resources such as textbooks, online tutorials, and working with a tutor or teacher. It is also important to have a strong foundation in basic algebra and trigonometry before delving into advanced functions.