How do you solve the ff double integral?

In summary, the function Y is continuously differentiable with compact support and can be written in the form Y(x,t) = 1, if |x| <= t, Y(x,t) = 0 if |x|> t or t<= 0. To solve for Y, you first need to solve for \phi. Assuming x and t are independent, you have, eg:\int_a^b \frac{\partial f(x,t)}{\partial t} dt = f(x,b)-f(x,a)
island-boy
given [tex]\phi[/tex] to be a function of x and t, how do you solve

[tex]2\int_{0}^{\infty}\int_{x}^{\infty}\frac{\partial^{2}\partial\phi}{\partial t^{2}} dt dx - 2\int_{0}^{\infty}\int_{0}^{t}\frac{\partial^{2}\partial\phi}{\partial x^{2}} dx dt[/tex]

any hints would be great.
thanks!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
phi is a function of x and t, you mean?

yeah, sorry bout that, I'll edit my post above.

Assuming x and t are independent, you have, eg:

[tex]\int_a^b \frac{\partial f(x,t)}{\partial t} dt = f(x,b)-f(x,a)[/tex]

Does that help?

I would have:
[tex]2\int_{0}^{\infty}\frac{\partial\phi(\infty, x)}{\partial t} - \frac{\partial\phi(x,x)}{\partial t} dx - 2\int_{0}^{\infty}\frac{\partial\phi(\infty, t)}{\partial x} - \frac{\partial\phi(t,t)}{\partial x} dt [/tex]

this is correct right?

but then I don't know how to process from there.

it is given in the original problem that [tex]\phi[/tex] is twice continously differentiable with compact support.

so does that mean
[tex]\frac{\partial \phi (\infty, x)}{\partial t} = \frac{\partial \phi (\infty, t)}{\partial x} = 0[/tex]?

or that only
[tex]\phi(\infty, \infty) = 0[/tex]?

how about for any x, or t,
does
[tex]\phi(\infty, t) = \phi(x, \infty) = 0[/tex]?

I'll assume you know what "compact" and "support" mean. Then it suffices to know that the image of a compact set under a continuous map is another compact set, and that the projection maps onto each coordinate are continuous. So if the function has compact support in the (x,t) plane, then the projection of this set onto either the x or t axes is also compact. I hope you can proceed from here.

just to make sure my understanding of compact support is correct...
is it okay then to say that

[tex]\frac{\partial \phi (\infty, x)}{\partial t} = \frac{\partial \phi (\infty, t)}{\partial x} = 0[/tex]

[tex]\phi(\infty, \infty) = 0[/tex]

[tex]\phi(\infty, t) = \phi(x, \infty) = 0[/tex]

I apologize if this is a dumb question...but admittedly, my grasp of real analysis concepts is not that firm.

thanks for the help again.

"Compact support" simply means that [itex]\phi[/itex] is only non-zero on a compact set- a closed and bounded set. Yes, [itex]\phi[/itex] is 0 at and on a "neighborhood" of [itex]\infty[/itex] (so its derivative is 0 at [itex]\infty[/itex] also).

hi, HallsofIvy, thanks for the clarification.

so now I have:
[tex]-2\int_{0}^{\infty} \frac{\partial\phi(x,x)}{\partial t} dx + 2\int_{0}^{\infty} \frac{\partial\phi(t,t)}{\partial x} dt [/tex]

Is this the final answer? or is it possible to simplify this further?

thanks again for the help.

ETA:

for some reason, I have the feeling the answer is going to be zero where the two integrals of the partial over infinity would be be zero because of compact support and the two integrals of the partial over 0 would cancel each other out.

Would this be correct? If so, my prolem is how to write this out mathematically. Thanks again.

Well, [itex]\partial \phi(x,x)/ \partial t=0[/tex], since there is no explicit t dependence. Maybe I'm being picky, but what you should have there is something like:

[tex]\frac{\partial \phi(t,x)}{\partial t} |_{t=x}[/tex]

That way you see the derivative is w.r.t. the first "slot". At this point I don't think you can go any further without knowing something about [itex]\phi(t,x)[/itex]. Note that:

[tex]\int_{0}^{\infty} \frac{\partial\phi(t,x)}{\partial t} |_{t=x} dx \neq \phi(\infty,\infty)-\phi(0,0) [/tex]

As I think is clearer when you write the derivative this way.

I get what you are saying StatusX.

So I'm left with:
[tex]-2\int_{0}^{\infty} \frac{\partial\phi(t,x)}{\partial t} |_{t=x} dx + 2\int_{0}^{\infty} \frac{\partial\phi(t,x)}{\partial x} |_{x=t} dt[/tex]

for some reason, though this answer looks technically correct...I don't think this is the answer the question is looking for, as the answer is not simplified enough, if you get what I mean. I may have to clarify with my professor on this.

BTW, the topic we are studying is distributions (generalized function), and this question was asked so that we can compare its answer to a similar problem using distributions as a way to solve.

Here's the original question, maybe I did something wrong...Consider the function Y defined by

Y(x,t) = 1, if |x| <= t, Y(x,t) = 0 if |x|> t or t<= 0.

For any [tex]\phi \in \mathfrak{D} (\mathbb{R}^{2})[/tex]where [tex]\mathfrak{D}[/tex] means functions which are continuously differentiable with compact support)

solve for

[tex]\int_{\mathbb{R}}\int_{\mathbb{R}}Y(x,t) (\frac{\partial^{2}\phi}{\partial t^{2}} - \frac{\partial^{2}\phi}{\partial x^{2}}) (x,t) dx dt[/tex]

hello,
based on the question on the post before this one, I believe that the answer that the question is looking for is this:

[tex]\int_{\mathbb{R}}\int_{\mathbb{R}} (\frac{\partial^{2}Y}{\partial t^{2}} - \frac{\partial^{2}Y}{\partial x^{2}}) (x,t) \phi(x,t)dx dt[/tex]

so any ideas how I can manipulate:
[tex]\int_{\mathbb{R}}\int_{\mathbb{R}}Y(x,t) (\frac{\partial^{2}\phi}{\partial t^{2}} - \frac{\partial^{2}\phi}{\partial x^{2}}) (x,t) dx dt[/tex]

into:
[tex]\int_{\mathbb{R}}\int_{\mathbb{R}} (\frac{\partial^{2}Y}{\partial t^{2}} - \frac{\partial^{2}Y}{\partial x^{2}}) (x,t) \phi(x,t)dx dt[/tex]

any ideas?

thanks

Last edited:

FAQ: How do you solve the ff double integral?

1. How do I know when to use a double integral?

Double integrals are typically used when trying to find the volume under a curved surface in three-dimensional space, or when trying to find the area between two curves in two-dimensional space. If you are dealing with a problem involving multiple variables and/or multiple dimensions, it is likely that a double integral will be necessary.

2. What is the process for solving a double integral?

The process for solving a double integral involves first setting up the limits of integration for both the inner and outer integrals. Then, you will need to evaluate the inner integral with respect to one variable, treating all other variables as constants. Finally, you will integrate the result of the inner integral with respect to the remaining variable to obtain the final solution.

3. How do I choose the order of integration for a double integral?

The order of integration will depend on the given function and the shape of the region being integrated over. In general, it is easier to integrate over the variable with the most "constant" limits first, as this will make the inner integral simpler to evaluate. It may also be helpful to sketch the region and visualize the integration process.

4. Can I use substitution or change of variables for a double integral?

Yes, substitution or change of variables can be used to simplify a double integral, just as they can be used for single integrals. This can be especially helpful when dealing with more complex functions or non-rectangular regions.

5. Are there any common mistakes to avoid when solving a double integral?

One common mistake is to forget to include the differential in the integrand when setting up the limits of integration. Another mistake is to mix up the order of integration, which can result in incorrect solutions. It is also important to carefully evaluate the inner integral before integrating with respect to the remaining variable.