How Do You Solve the Integral in POTW #222?

• MHB
  • Thread starter Euge
  • Start date
  • Tags
In summary, the POTW #222 is a weekly challenge that presents a problem or puzzle related to science, technology, engineering, or math. The objective is to provide a fun and challenging problem for individuals to solve using their scientific knowledge and critical thinking skills. To participate, individuals can visit the website or platform where the challenge is posted and follow the instructions. There is usually no monetary prize, but some platforms may offer recognition or a certificate. Collaboration is not recommended, as it may disqualify individuals from any potential recognition or prizes.
Euge
Gold Member
MHB
POTW Director
Here is this week's POTW:

-----
Evaluate the integral

$$\int_{-\infty}^\infty \frac{\ln^2\lvert x\rvert}{x^2+1}\, dx$$-----

Remember to read the http://www.mathhelpboards.com/showthread.php?772-Problem-of-the-Week-%28POTW%29-Procedure-and-Guidelines to find out how to http://www.mathhelpboards.com/forms.php?do=form&fid=2!

Physics news on Phys.org
No one answered this week's problem. You can read my solution below.
The integral evaluates to $\pi^3/4$. To see this, consider the contour integral

$$\oint_{C(R,\epsilon)} \frac{\log^2 z}{z^2 + 1}\, dz$$

where the branch cut for $\log z$ is taken along the nonpositive real axis, and $C(r,\epsilon)$ is the keyhole contour in the upper-half plane with arcs of radii $\epsilon$ and $R$, with $0 < \epsilon < 1 < R$. By the residue theorem, this integral evaluates to $$2\pi i \operatorname*{Res}_{z = i} \frac{\log^2 z}{z^2 + 1} = 2\pi i \frac{\log^2 i}{2i} = \pi\left(-\frac{\pi^2}{4}\right) = -\frac{\pi^3}{4}.$$

On the arc of radius $R$, the integrand is bounded by $(\log^2 R + \pi^2)/(R^2 - 1)$. Therefore, by the ML-estimate, integral along the arc of radius $R$ is bounded by $\pi R(\log^2R + \pi^2)/(R^2 - 1)$, which is negligible as $R\to \infty$. The integral along the arc of radius $\epsilon$ is bounded by $\pi \epsilon(\log^2 \epsilon + \pi^2)/(1 - \epsilon^2)$, which is negligible as $\epsilon \to 0$. Consequently,

$$\lim_{\epsilon \to 0,\, R\to \infty} \left(\int_{[-R,-\epsilon]} \frac{\log^2 z}{z^2 + 1}\, dz + \int_{[\epsilon,R]} \frac{\log^2 z}{z^2 + 1}\, dz\right) = -\frac{\pi^3}{4}.\tag{*}\label{eq1}$$

Now

$$\int_{[-R,-\epsilon]} \frac{\log^2 z}{z^2 + 1}\, dz = \int_\epsilon^R \frac{\log^2(-x)}{x^2 + 1}\, dx = \int_\epsilon^R \frac{(\ln\lvert x\rvert + \pi i)^2}{x^2 + 1}\, dx = \int_\epsilon^R \frac{\ln^2 \lvert x\rvert - \pi^2}{x^2 + 1}\, dx + i \int_\epsilon^R \frac{\pi \ln\lvert x\rvert}{x^2 + 1}\, dx$$

Therefore

$$\int_{[-R,-\epsilon]} \frac{\log^2 z}{z^2 + 1}\, dz + \int_{[\epsilon, R]} \frac{\log^2 z}{z^2 + 1}\, dz = 2\int_\epsilon^R \frac{\ln^2\lvert x\rvert}{x^2 + 1}\, dx - \pi^2 \int_\epsilon^R \frac{dx}{x^2 + 1} + i\int_\epsilon^R \frac{\ln\lvert x\rvert}{x^2 + 1}\, dx$$

Letting $\epsilon \to 0$, $R\to \infty$, and using limiting equation \eqref{eq1}, we deduce

$$2\int_0^\infty \frac{\ln^2\lvert x\rvert}{x^2 + 1}\, dx - \pi^2 \int_0^\infty \frac{dx}{x^2 + 1} = -\frac{\pi^3}{4}$$

$$\int_{-\infty}^\infty \frac{\ln^2\lvert x\rvert}{x^2 + 1}\, dx - \pi^2\left(\frac{\pi}{2}\right) = -\frac{\pi^3}{4}$$

$$\int_{-\infty}^\infty \frac{\ln^2\lvert x\rvert}{x^2 + 1}\, dx - \frac{\pi^3}{2} = -\frac{\pi^3}{4}$$

$$ \bbox[yellow,5px,border:2px solid red]{\int_{-\infty}^\infty \frac{\ln^2\lvert x\rvert}{x^2 + 1}\, dx = \frac{\pi^3}{4}} $$

Related to How Do You Solve the Integral in POTW #222?

1. What is the POTW #222 about?

The POTW #222 is a weekly challenge that presents a problem or puzzle related to science, technology, engineering, or math.

2. What is the objective of POTW #222?

The objective of POTW #222 is to provide a fun and challenging problem for individuals to solve using their scientific knowledge and critical thinking skills.

3. How can I participate in POTW #222?

To participate in POTW #222, you can visit the website or platform where the challenge is posted and follow the instructions provided. Some challenges may require you to submit your solution or answer by a certain deadline.

4. Is there a prize for solving POTW #222?

Typically, there is no monetary prize for solving POTW #222. However, some platforms may offer recognition or a certificate for individuals who successfully solve the challenge.

5. Can I collaborate with others to solve POTW #222?

While some platforms may allow collaboration, it is generally recommended to solve POTW #222 on your own to fully challenge your own skills and understanding of the problem. Collaborating with others may also disqualify you from any potential recognition or prizes.