How Do You Solve the Integral of \( e^{x^4} (x + x^3 + 2x^5) e^{x^2} \, dx \)?

In summary, the conversation is about a previously solved challenge question regarding the integral of $e^{x^4}\left(x+x^3+2x^5\right)\cdot e^{x^2}$, where the OP has found a solution and is asking for others to provide a complete solution. The conversation also includes a discussion about a potential flaw in the solution and the importance of justifying each step in a proof.
juantheron
\(\displaystyle \displaystyle \int e^{x^4}\left(x+x^3+2x^5\right)\cdot e^{x^2}dx = \)

Mathematics news on Phys.org
jacks said:
\(\displaystyle \displaystyle \int e^{x^4}\left(x+x^3+2x^5\right)\cdot e^{x^2}dx = \)

First, write the integral as
$$\int e^{x^4+x^2} (x+x^3+2x^5) dx = $$
Let $e^{x^4+x^2}=t \Rightarrow e^{x^4+x^2}(4x^3+2x)dx = dt$.

EDIT:
Thanks MarkFL, I didn't notice.

Last edited:
Siron said:
First, write the integral as
$$\int e^{x^4+x^2} (x+x^3+2x^5) dx = $$
Let $e^{x^4+x^2}=t \Rightarrow e^{x^4+x^2}(4x^3+2x)dx = dt$.

Here in the "Challenge Questions and Puzzles" forum, the OP has already solved the problem, and is posting it as a challenge for others to give a complete solution. :D

jacks said:

My solution:

Let $\displaystyle I=\int e^{x^2+x^4}\cdot(x+x^3+2x^5)dx$.

We see that

$\begin{align*}\displaystyle I&=\int e^{x^2+x^4}\cdot(x+x^3+2x^5)dx\\&=\dfrac{1}{x^2}\int x^2\cdot e^{x^2+x^4}\cdot(x+x^3+2x^5)dx\\&=\dfrac{1}{x^2}\int e^{\ln x^2+x^2+x^4}\cdot(x+x^3+2x^5)dx---(1)\end{align*}$

If we let $u=e^{\ln x^2+x^2+x^4}$, we get $\dfrac{x^2}{2}du=e^{\ln x^2+x^2+x^4}\cdot(x+x^3+2x^5) dx$.

Replacing this substitution to (1), the integral is then

$\begin{align*}\displaystyle I&=\dfrac{1}{x^2}\int e^{\ln x^2+x^2+x^4}\cdot(x+x^3+2x^5)dx\\&=\dfrac{1}{x^2}\int \dfrac{x^2}{2}du\\&=\int \dfrac{1}{2}du\\&=\frac{u}{2}\\&=\frac{e^{\ln x^2+x^2+x^4}}{2}\end{align*}$

$\therefore I=\dfrac{x^2(e^{x^2+x^4})}{2}$

anemone: I think I spotted a flaw in your solution.

You wrote a statement of the form
\(\displaystyle \int f(x)~dx = \frac{1}{x^2} \int x^2~f(x)~dx\)

Under normal circumstances you can't multiply the outside of an integral by a function of x and multiply the inverse of it inside the integral. Or am I wrong in this specific case?

-Dan

topsquark said:
anemone: I think I spotted a flaw in your solution.

You wrote a statement of the form
\(\displaystyle \int f(x)~dx = \frac{1}{x^2} \int x^2~f(x)~dx\)

Under normal circumstances you can't multiply the outside of an integral by a function of x and multiply the inverse of it inside the integral. Or am I wrong in this specific case?

-Dan

Hi Dan,
Hmm...but I was just, technically, multiplied a one $\dfrac{\cancel{x^2}}{\cancel{x^2}}=1$ to that integrand...I don't know if that's 100% permissible though. Thus, I stand corrected and I apologize if my solution is wrong.:eek:

My thinking comes in two ways. First if \(\displaystyle \int f(x)~dx\) is a definite integral then \(\displaystyle \frac{1}{x^2} \int x^2 f(x)~dx\) would still depend on x, which would not be correct. As far as an indefinite integral is concerned let's do a simple example:
\(\displaystyle \int x^3~dx = \frac{x^4}{4} + C\)

\(\displaystyle \int x^3~dx = \frac{1}{x^2} \int x^2 \cdot x^3~dx = \frac{x^4}{6} + C\)

So they are not the same. However I don't know enough to say if there are cases where you can do this. I can say, though that the Taylor series of WA's answer about 0 and the Taylor series of your answer about 0 are not the same. So it looks like you can't do it in this case.

-Dan

Hi Dan again,

In your second example where \(\displaystyle \int x^3~dx = \frac{1}{x^2} \int x^2 \cdot x^3~dx = \frac{x^4}{6} + C\), you multiplied the antiderivative to the $x^2$ but in my solution, I took care of the multiplier before I started to integrate it on the second time. (Thinking)

anemone said:
Hi Dan again,

In your second example where \(\displaystyle \int x^3~dx = \frac{1}{x^2} \int x^2 \cdot x^3~dx = \frac{x^4}{6} + C\), you multiplied the antiderivative to the $x^2$ but in my solution, I took care of the multiplier before I started to integrate it on the second time. (Thinking)

A proof is a set of implications so each step has to be justified.

$$\frac{x^2}{x^2}=1$$

Does not imply that

$$\frac{1}{x^2}\int\,x^2\,dx = x+c $$

FAQ: How Do You Solve the Integral of \( e^{x^4} (x + x^3 + 2x^5) e^{x^2} \, dx \)?

1. What is an indefinite integral?

An indefinite integral is a mathematical concept in calculus that represents the antiderivative of a function. It is a function that, when differentiated, gives the original function as its result.

2. How is an indefinite integral different from a definite integral?

While an indefinite integral represents a function, a definite integral represents a single numerical value. The definite integral has upper and lower limits, while the indefinite integral does not.

3. How do you solve an indefinite integral?

To solve an indefinite integral, you first need to identify the function's original form and apply the appropriate integration techniques. These techniques may include substitution, integration by parts, or trigonometric substitutions. You can then use the rules of integration to find the antiderivative.

4. What is the purpose of finding an indefinite integral?

Finding an indefinite integral is essential in many areas of mathematics, physics, and engineering. It allows us to determine the original function when only its derivative is known, which is often necessary for solving real-world problems.

5. Can all functions be integrated indefinitely?

While most elementary functions can be integrated indefinitely, there are some functions that do not have an antiderivative. These are known as non-elementary functions, and they require more advanced techniques to find their indefinite integrals.