How Do You Solve the QHO with a Sinusoidal Perturbing Potential?

In summary, Nickjer is trying to solve the QHO with a sinusoidal perturbing potential of the form VoSIN(BX). He has two concerns: first, he does not know how to determine when to terminate the expansion and second, the |n> kets used in the QHO are not eigenkets of X. He is advised to use perturbation theory to solve the problem.
taloc

Homework Statement

I am tasked with solving the QHO with a sinusoidal perturbing potential of the form VoSIN(BX). I need to find the ground state energy as well as the ground state eigenket |g>.

Homework Equations

[tex]H_{o} = \frac{P^{2}}{2m} + \frac{1}{2}m \varpi^{2} [/tex]
[tex]H = H_{o} + Asin(BX)[/tex]
[tex]E^{(o)}_{n}=\hbar\varpi(n+\frac{1}{2})[/tex] Which is the unperturbed energy

The Attempt at a Solution

My first stab at this problem involved performing a Taylor expansion of the potential and the rewriting of the X operator in terms of the creation and annihilation operators:
[tex] X = \sqrt{\frac{\hbar}{2m\varpi}}(a^{\dagger}+a)[/tex]

This process was not very rewarding. I found myself with no method for determining when to terminate the expansion.

An alternative approach would be to rewrite the potential as:

[tex]Asin(BX) = \frac{A}{2i}(e^{iBX}-e^{-iBX})[/tex]

My concern with this method is that the |n> kets used in the QHO are not eigenkets of X and therefore do not play nicely with the exponentials. Do I need to perform a change of basis? Essentially creating a new set of kets composed of a linear combination of the |n> kets? Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Have you thought about using perturbation theory? I am guessing [itex]V_0[/itex] is small since you mention it is a perturbative potential. So are you supposed to find the ground state to first order in [itex]V_0[/itex]? Or 2nd order?

nickjer said:
Have you thought about using perturbation theory? I am guessing [itex]V_0[/itex] is small since you mention it is a perturbative potential. So are you supposed to find the ground state to first order in [itex]V_0[/itex]? Or 2nd order?

nickjer,

Thank you for the reply. I do need to apply pertubation theory to solve this problem. The problem I am facing involves having the X operator of the perturbing potential "locked up" inside a trigometric function. If I were to expand the trig function in a Taylor Series I could then perform the analysis for first order corrections (which vanish) and then proceed to second order corrections. I asked my instructor about the Taylor expansion method and was told this was not the appropriate path to take. He confirmed that I must rewrite the Sin function in terms of the exponentials I gave in the initial post. I am completely lost as to how I should proceed from this point on.

Cheers,

First order perturbation is just an integral over the perturbing potential:

[tex]E_n^{(1)}=\langle n^{(0)}|V|n^{(0)} \rangle[/tex]

So just integrate over that potential with the ground state wavefunctions for a simple harmonic oscillator. No need for Taylor series.

Last edited:
nickjer said:
First order perturbation is just an integral over the perturbing potential:

[tex]E_n^{(1)}=\langle n^{(0)}|V|n^{(0)} \rangle[/tex]

So just integrate over that potential with the ground state wavefunctions for a simple harmonic oscillator. No need for Taylor series.

Wow! Is that all i need to do? That is far easier than i expected. i will attempt to generate the ground state energy tomorrow morning. I was attempting to evaluate the expression in a much more general case. I suspect that the integral will be zero and require a second order approximation, but here is to hoping.

Thank you very much for your help nickjer, i will get back to you in the morning with my results.

Ceers!

Related to How Do You Solve the QHO with a Sinusoidal Perturbing Potential?

1. What is a sinusoidal perturbing potential?

A sinusoidal perturbing potential is a mathematical function that is used to describe the effects of a small disturbance on a system that is undergoing oscillatory motion. It is usually represented by a sine or cosine wave and is often used in physics and engineering to model various phenomena such as sound waves, electromagnetic waves, and mechanical vibrations.

2. What is the purpose of using a sinusoidal perturbing potential?

The purpose of using a sinusoidal perturbing potential is to study the behavior of a system under the influence of a small external force or disturbance. By analyzing the response of the system to this perturbation, we can gain insights into the properties and dynamics of the system, and make predictions about its future behavior.

3. How is a sinusoidal perturbing potential represented mathematically?

A sinusoidal perturbing potential is typically represented by a mathematical function of the form V(x) = V0 sin(ωt), where V0 is the amplitude of the potential, ω is the angular frequency, and t is the time variable. This function describes the variation of the potential energy of the system as a function of time.

4. What factors affect the behavior of a system under a sinusoidal perturbing potential?

The behavior of a system under a sinusoidal perturbing potential is affected by several factors, including the amplitude and frequency of the potential, the properties of the system (such as mass and stiffness), and any damping forces present. The initial conditions of the system, such as its initial position and velocity, also play a role in determining its response to the perturbation.

5. What are some real-world examples of systems that can be modeled using a sinusoidal perturbing potential?

Sinusoidal perturbing potentials can be used to model a variety of real-world systems, such as a mass-spring-damper system, a pendulum, a vibrating guitar string, or an electronic circuit. They are also commonly used in the study of waves, including sound waves, electromagnetic waves, and water waves. Additionally, sinusoidal perturbing potentials are often used in geophysics to model the motion of tectonic plates and Earth's crust.

Back