How Do You Solve These Challenging Calculus Problems?

In summary, the conversation discusses two problems: finding the altitude of an inscribed right circular cylinder of maximum volume for a given sphere, and determining the speed at which a man's shadow lengthens as he walks away from a light source. The key relations needed to solve these problems involve Pythagoras' theorem and similar triangles. The conversation also mentions confusion over repeated questions being posted.
Kobrakai
I am having trouble with these two problems, I was wondering if anyone here could help me.

1. Given a sphere of radius 10 inches. Calculate the altitude of the inscribed right circular cylinder of maximum volume.

2. A man 6 feet tall walks away from a light 30 feet high at the rate of 3 miles per hour. How fast is the further end of his shadow moving, and how fast is his shadow lengthening?

Physics news on Phys.org
Here's where to started with number 1:
If the height of the cylinder is h, what is its radius (in terms of h)? What is its volume?

For 2:
Introduce an angular variable [itex]\theta[/itex] which is the angle between the line connecting the mans head and the light source and the vertical.
Express how theta changes with the mans velocity and get the length of the shadow as a function of theta.

i think my post pointing out the key relations needed to sove the rpoblem, i.e. pythagoras and simialr triangles repsectively, contain the most difficult part of the solution for most students. were they omitted because i gave my information too efficiently?, i.e. in one sentence?

mathwonk said:
i think my post pointing out the key relations needed to sove the rpoblem, i.e. pythagoras and simialr triangles repsectively, contain the most difficult part of the solution for most students. were they omitted because i gave my information too efficiently?, i.e. in one sentence?
Nothing's been omitted, but this exact same question has been posted in General Math too.

thanks. i am confused by all the repeat questions.

Related to How Do You Solve These Challenging Calculus Problems?

What is Calculus?

Calculus is a branch of mathematics that deals with the study of change and motion, using mathematical concepts such as derivatives and integrals.

Why is Calculus important?

Calculus is important because it provides a framework for understanding and solving a wide range of real-world problems, including those in science, engineering, economics, and many other fields.

What are derivatives and integrals?

Derivatives and integrals are two fundamental concepts in Calculus. A derivative is a measure of how a function changes at a specific point, while an integral is a way to calculate the total area under a curve.

What are the two calculus problems mentioned?

The two calculus problems mentioned are specific problems that the individual is unable to solve using their current knowledge and understanding of calculus. These problems may involve finding derivatives, integrals, or other related concepts.

What resources are available to help solve these problems?

There are many resources available to help solve calculus problems, including textbooks, online tutorials, and peer-to-peer tutoring. It is also helpful to consult with a professor or colleague who is knowledgeable in calculus for additional guidance and assistance.