How Do You Solve These Classic Physics Vector Problems?

In summary, you need to calculate the x and y components of the 85 cm vector. Then the rest of the question should be fairly straight forward.
shayaan_musta
1)What displacement must be added to a 50cm displacement in the +x-direction to give resultant displacement of 85cm at 25°?

2)A child is holding a wagon from rolling straight back down a driveway that is inclined at 20°to the horizontal. If the wagon 150N, with what force must the child pull on the handle if the handle is parallel to the incline?

3)A boat is propelled so as to travel with a speed of 0.50m/s in still water, moves directly across a river i.e. 60m wide. The river flows with a speed of 0.30m/s. (a) At what angle relative to straight-across, direction must the boat be pointed? (b) How long does it take to cross the river?

I have these 3 question. I don't know how solve it. Because I didn't get idea. If you people just at least give me idea, I will very great full to you.
Thanks a lot.

Physics news on Phys.org
You should read this post explaining the guidelines: https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=94379

But, to at least get you started, find the x and y components of the 85 cm vector. Then the rest of the question should be fairly straight forward.

Try to draw a picture of your problem. It makes it easier to figure out what you need to do to solve the problem.

BobG said:
You should read this post explaining the guidelines: https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=94379

But, to at least get you started, find the x and y components of the 85 cm vector. Then the rest of the question should be fairly straight forward.

Try to draw a picture of your problem. It makes it easier to figure out what you need to do to solve the problem.

Ok I got your point. Thanks. Actually I am new to PF. Here is detail for what I tried to solve.
1) let x be the displacement which is to be added to 50cm in +x-direction to give the resultant of 85.
So, the equation can be 85=x+50 i.e. x=35cm. But my book says its 45cm at 53°. And also in answer how to use θ? What is wrong with my solution.

2)Here is a solution that I tried:
sinθ=perp/hyp
sin(20°)=150/F
where, F=force that is along inclined plane and to be find out.
F=150/sin(20°)
F=438.570N
But according to my textbook it should be 51N. How?

shayaan_musta said:
Ok I got your point. Thanks. Actually I am new to PF. Here is detail for what I tried to solve.
1) let x be the displacement which is to be added to 50cm in +x-direction to give the resultant of 85.
So, the equation can be 85=x+50 i.e. x=35cm. But my book says its 45cm at 53°. And also in answer how to use θ? What is wrong with my solution.

2)Here is a solution that I tried:
sinθ=perp/hyp
sin(20°)=150/F
where, F=force that is along inclined plane and to be find out.
F=150/sin(20°)
F=438.570N
But according to my textbook it should be 51N. How?

1) This one is worded strangely. The way I would read it is the resulting vector is 85 cm long with 25 degree angle to the x axis. You calculate the x component of the 85 cm vector (the 85 cm is the hypotenuse). Then you subtract the x-component from 50.

You assumed the x-component was 85 (i.e. the adjacent side was 85) and I don't think that's correct.

Edit: Actually, given the answer you provided, I now understand what they were asking. You need the x and y components of the 85cm vector. The vector you're calculating has the same y component, but it's x component is 50 cm less than the 85 cm vector's x-component.

2) Right approach, but your 150 is the hyp and the perp is parellel to the incline, mainly because of the direction you chose for the principal direction.

If you chose down the inclined plane to be the principal direction, then perp would be the force pushing perpendicular to the inclined plane and you'd use the cosine of 70 degrees to solve for the parallel component and still get the same answer since 70 and 20 are complementary angles.

Like I said, it helps to draw these out and compare the downward direction of the force to the inclinded plane. Either way works as good as the other - it's just a matter of which is easier to visualize when you draw it out.

Personally, I would tend to look at the drawing, figure out which direction will have the most force, and then pick the sine or cosine based on which will give the most sensible answer. Then occasionally double check against the definitions given in the book.

Last edited:

Sorry my internet was making trouble therefore I am late in reply to your answer.
BobG said:
1) This one is worded strangely. The way I would read it is the resulting vector is 85 cm long with 25 degree angle to the x axis. You calculate the x component of the 85 cm vector (the 85 cm is the hypotenuse). Then you subtract the x-component from 50.

You assumed the x-component was 85 (i.e. the adjacent side was 85) and I don't think that's correct.

Edit: Actually, given the answer you provided, I now understand what they were asking. You need the x and y components of the 85cm vector. The vector you're calculating has the same y component, but it's x component is 50 cm less than the 85 cm vector's x-component

Ok ok. Its really helping step that you told me. Thanks. I got your point. But
In the question, i.e.
What displacement must be added to a 50cm displacement in the +x-direction to give the resultant displacement of 85cm at 25°?
the statement;
what displacement must be added to a 50cm displacement in the +X-DIRECTION
How will you read this statement?
Means is it given for 50cm in the +x-direction? Or it is asking to add displacement in the +x-direction?
Which one is right?

Related to How Do You Solve These Classic Physics Vector Problems?

What is a vector displacement problem?

A vector displacement problem is a type of mathematical problem that involves finding the displacement of an object in a given direction and magnitude. It is often used in physics and engineering to analyze the motion of objects in three-dimensional space.

How do you solve a vector displacement problem?

To solve a vector displacement problem, you must first identify the given vector quantities (direction and magnitude) and the unknown vector quantity. Then, use appropriate mathematical operations, such as vector addition and subtraction, to find the displacement vector. Finally, use the magnitude and direction of the displacement vector to answer the problem.

What is the difference between vector displacement and scalar displacement?

The main difference between vector displacement and scalar displacement is that vector displacement includes both magnitude and direction, while scalar displacement only includes magnitude. Vector displacement is used to describe the change in position of an object in three-dimensional space, while scalar displacement is used to describe the distance an object has traveled in a straight line.

What are some common applications of vector displacement problems?

Vector displacement problems are commonly used in various fields, such as physics, engineering, and navigation. They are used to analyze the motion of objects, calculate forces and velocities, and determine the position of objects in three-dimensional space. Some specific applications include projectile motion, motion of planets and satellites, and navigation of aircraft and ships.

How can I improve my skills in solving vector displacement problems?

To improve your skills in solving vector displacement problems, it is important to have a strong understanding of vector algebra and geometry. Practice solving different types of vector displacement problems, and familiarize yourself with the different mathematical operations used in vector calculations. Additionally, you can seek help from a teacher or tutor, or use online resources and practice problems to sharpen your skills.