How Do You Solve This Cartesian Geometry Problem?

In summary, a will appretiate any help that is given, but does not have a solution to Cartesian Geometry.
abrk
Hello

I've got a problem with Cartesian Geometry and cannot find a solution.

A will appretiate any help I can get.
View attachment 1893
b) Show that \(\displaystyle [AQ]\) has equation \(\displaystyle cx + by = -2ac\)

c) Prove that the third median \(\displaystyle [BR]\) passes through the point of intersection \(\displaystyle G\) of medians \(\displaystyle [OP]\) and \(\displaystyle [AQ]\)

Cheers!

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    4.2 KB · Views: 88
Mathematics news on Phys.org
Hi,
The coordinates of the midpoint Q are (b,c). Unfortunately, x=b and y=c does not satisfy cx+by=-2ac unless b=-a (c is not zero if ABC is to be a triangle). So the equation of AQ is wrong. It should be:
cx+(2a-b)y=2ac
See if you can't get this. Similarly find the equations of the other medians OP and BR. You can "cheat" by knowing the coordinates of the centroid, namely (2(a+b)/3,2c/3) and showing this point satisfies all 3 equations.

abrk said:
Hello

I've got a problem with Cartesian Geometry and cannot find a solution.

A will appretiate any help I can get.
View attachment 1893
b) Show that \(\displaystyle [AQ]\) has equation \(\displaystyle cx + by = -2ac\)
This is clearly NOT true. For example, point A has x= 2a, y= 0 which in this equation give 2ac not -2ac.
What is true is that AQ has equation cx+ by= 2ac.
To find that equation of use the fact that the coordinates of Q are (b, c) and find the equation of the line through (b, c) and (2a, 0).
(To show that this cx+ by= 2ac is the correct equation, it is enough to show that A and Q both satisfy that equation.)

c) Prove that the third median \(\displaystyle [BR]\) passes through the point of intersection \(\displaystyle G\) of medians \(\displaystyle [OP]\) and \(\displaystyle [AQ]\)

Cheers!
P has coordinates (a+ b, c). The equation of the line through the origin and P is y= cx/(a+ b). Use that and the equation of the line AQ to find the coordinates of point G.

The third median is through points B with coordinates (2b, 2c) and R with coordinates (a, 0). Find the equation of the line through those two points and show that G also satisfies that equation.

I have used a couple of times that the midpoint of a line through points (x0, y0) and (x1, y1) is ((x0+x1)/2, (y0+y1)/2).

My teacher told me I have to do the following in C:
first find the coordinates of the point G.
Then write the equation for [BR].
Finally, check that G belong to the line [BR].

Can someone help me, thank you for your time :D

Line GP passes through (0, 0) and (a+ b, c). Any line can be written as y= px+ q. Since the line passes through (0, 0), 0= p(0)+ q so q= 0. Since the line passes through (a= b, c) c= p(a+ b) so p= c/(a+ b). That line is y= [c/(a+ b)]x.

Line GQ passes through (2a, 0) and (b, c). Writing y= px+ q, since the line passes through (2a, 0), 0= p(2a)+ q. Since the line passes through (b, c), c= bp+ q. Subtracting the first equation from the second, c= (b- 2a)p so p= c/(b- 2a). Putting that into the first equation, 0= 2ac/(b- 2a)+ q so q= -2a/(b- 2a). That line is y= [c/(b- 2a)]x- 2a/(b- 2a).

G is the point where those two lines intersect: [c/(a+ b)]x= [c/(b- 2a)]x- 2a/(b- 2a). [c/(a+ b)- c/(b- 2a)]x= -2a/(b- 2a). [tex]x= \frac{3ac}{(a+ b)(b- 2a)}[/tex].

I told you what x is and gave 2 equivalent formulas for y as a function of x. Do some of the work yourself!

Related to How Do You Solve This Cartesian Geometry Problem?

1. What is Cartesian geometry?

Cartesian geometry, also known as coordinate geometry, is a branch of mathematics that deals with the study of geometric shapes using a coordinate system. It was developed by French mathematician and philosopher René Descartes in the 17th century.

2. What is a Cartesian plane?

A Cartesian plane, also known as a coordinate plane, is a two-dimensional graph formed by two perpendicular lines, known as the x-axis and y-axis. It is used to plot points and graph equations in Cartesian geometry.

3. How do you plot a point on a Cartesian plane?

To plot a point on a Cartesian plane, you need to have its coordinates. The x-coordinate represents the horizontal distance from the origin, while the y-coordinate represents the vertical distance from the origin. The point is then plotted by moving along the x-axis and then up or down the y-axis.

4. What is the distance formula in Cartesian geometry?

The distance formula in Cartesian geometry is a mathematical equation used to calculate the distance between two points on a Cartesian plane. It is given by d = √[(x2 - x1)^2 + (y2 - y1)^2], where d is the distance, (x1, y1) and (x2, y2) are the coordinates of the two points.

5. How is Cartesian geometry used in real life?

Cartesian geometry is used in various fields, such as engineering, physics, and computer science, to solve real-world problems. It is used to design buildings, bridges, and other structures, as well as to model and predict the motion of objects. It is also used in computer graphics to create 3D models and animations.