How Do You Solve This Complex Integral Involving Cosine and a Square Root?

In summary, a complex integral is an integral involving complex numbers used to calculate areas under curves in the complex plane. Help is often needed with complex integrals due to their difficulty in solving, requiring a good understanding of complex numbers and integration techniques. Common techniques used to solve complex integrals include substitution, integration by parts, and contour integration. To improve skills in solving complex integrals, practice and review of relevant concepts is important, as well as seeking guidance from experts. Real-life applications of complex integrals include solving problems in physics, engineering, and economics.
nemanja
Hi,i would be gratefull if anyone could help me with this problem.

[tex]\frac{2}{\pi}[/tex][tex]\int \frac{cos(ux)}{\sqrt{x}} dx[/tex]
x goes from zero to infinity.

thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
Assuming you know a thing or two about Gaussian integrals, you could try substituting [itex]y^2 = x[/itex]...

yes I tried that and I got[tex]\frac{\sqrt{2}}{\sqrt{u\pi}}[/tex]
but correct is [tex]\frac{1}{\sqrt{u}}[/tex] .
any other way of solving?

Are you sure 1/√u is correct? Maple and wolfram alpha agree with your answer.

Ok my mistake,thank you all.Maple rules :smile:

FAQ: How Do You Solve This Complex Integral Involving Cosine and a Square Root?

What is a complex integral?

A complex integral is an integral that involves complex numbers. It is a mathematical concept that allows for the calculation of areas under curves in the complex plane.

Why is help needed with complex integrals?

Complex integrals can be difficult to solve because they involve both real and imaginary parts. They require a good understanding of complex numbers and their properties, as well as integration techniques.

What are some common techniques used to solve complex integrals?

Some common techniques used to solve complex integrals include substitution, integration by parts, and contour integration. These techniques can help simplify the integral and make it easier to solve.

How can I improve my skills in solving complex integrals?

Practice is key to improving your skills in solving complex integrals. You can also study and review concepts related to complex numbers and integration techniques, as well as seek help and guidance from experienced mathematicians or tutors.

What are some real-life applications of complex integrals?

Complex integrals have various applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and economics. They are used to calculate electric fields, solve differential equations, and analyze economic models, among others.