How Do You Solve This Complex Integral with a Curved Path?

In summary, the conversation discusses evaluating the integral of the function (1-Log z)/z^2 over a given curve C. The attempted solution involves using the independence of path in a domain where the function is analytical, as well as standard parametrization. Eventually, the person solves the problem.
malawi_glenn
Science Advisor
Homework Helper

Homework Statement

Evaluate:

[tex] \int _{c} \dfrac{1- Log z}{z^{2}} dz [/tex]

where C is the curve:

[tex] C : z(t) = 2 + e^{it} ; - \pi / 2 \leq t \leq \pi / 2 [/tex]

Homework Equations

I know the independance of path in a domain where f(z) is analytical, but I tried the standard parametrization just to beging with someting.

The Attempt at a Solution

[tex] z^{2} = 4 + 4e^{it} + e^{2it} [/tex]

[tex] Log(2 + e^{it} ) = \frac{1}{2} \ln (5 + \cos t) +it [/tex]

[tex] dz = ie^{it} dt [/tex]

[tex] i \int _{- \pi / 2} ^{\pi / 2} \dfrac{1 -\frac{1}{2} \ln (5 + \cos t) -it }{4 + 4e^{it} + e^{2it}}e^{it} dt [/tex]

lol iam lost

Physics news on Phys.org
do you think I shall use independance of path?

never mind, I solved it.

FAQ: How Do You Solve This Complex Integral with a Curved Path?

What is a complex integral?

A complex integral is a mathematical concept that involves calculating the area under a curve in the complex plane. It is a generalization of the concept of a definite integral in real-valued calculus.

What is TOUGH?

TOUGH (Transport of Unsaturated Groundwater and Heat) is a computer software program used for simulating the behavior of subsurface fluids and heat in porous and fractured media. It is commonly used in geothermal, nuclear waste disposal, and environmental applications.

How is Another complex integral related to TOUGH?

Another complex integral is a specific type of complex integral that is used in the TOUGH software program. It is used to calculate the flow of fluids and heat in porous and fractured media.

Why is Another complex integral, TOUGH important?

Another complex integral, TOUGH is important because it allows scientists and engineers to simulate and predict the behavior of subsurface fluids and heat in a variety of applications. This can help in the design and management of projects related to geothermal energy, nuclear waste disposal, and environmental remediation.

What are some challenges associated with Another complex integral, TOUGH?

Some challenges associated with Another complex integral, TOUGH include the need for accurate and reliable data inputs, the complexity of the mathematical calculations involved, and the need for specialized knowledge and training to use the software effectively.

Back