How do you test the convergence of i^n (imaginary number) or (-1)^n?

In summary: I was thinking alternating series test, but can't that only be used for testing for convergence, not for testing divergence?How about the divergence test? :tongue2:The divergence test can be used for both convergence and divergence testing.
Agnostic
I was thinking alternating series test, but can't that only be used for testing for convergence, not for testing divergence?

Physics news on Phys.org
How about the divergence test? :-p

You'll have to be more specific. The convergence of what? The sequence of terms, [itex] a_n=i^n[/itex], the series, [itex]\sum_{n=0}^{\infty}i^n[/itex], or some sequence or series that just has [itex]i^n[/itex] as one term? I can tell you right now, the first two diverge.

Hurkyl said:
How about the divergence test? :-p

The divergence test doesn't work for indeterminant forms.

LeonhardEuler said:
You'll have to be more specific. The convergence of what? The sequence of terms, [itex] a_n=i^n[/itex], the series, [itex]\sum_{n=0}^{\infty}i^n[/itex], or some sequence or series that just has [itex]i^n[/itex] as one term? I can tell you right now, the first two diverge.

I must prove that [itex]\sum_{n=0}^{\infty}i^n[/itex] diverges.

Or rather, I must prove wheter or not its convergent of divergent. I know its divergent, but I still have to prove it.

Agnostic said:
[itex]i^n[/itex] is not an indeterminant form.

There isn't an indeterminant form involved. :-p

Agnostic said:
I must prove that [itex]\sum_{n=0}^{\infty}i^n[/itex] diverges.

Or rather, I must prove wheter or not its convergent of divergent. I know its divergent, but I still have to prove it.
Oh, that's simple. Use the divergence test as Hurkyl suggested. Do the terms in the series approach zero as n approaches infinty?

The limit of [itex]i^n[/itex] as n goes to infinity doesn't have a solution does it?

Agnostic said:
The limit of [itex]i^n[/itex] as n goes to infinity doesn't have a solution does it?
Right, exactly!

LeonhardEuler said:
Oh, that's simple. Use the divergence test as Hurkyl suggested. Do the terms in the series approach zero as n approaches infinty?

No, they alternate ... i,-1,-i,1,i,-1,...

LeonhardEuler said:
Right, exactly!

But that is not the same as saying indeterminant form?

Agnostic said:
No, they alternate ... i,-1,-i,1,i,-1,...
So the limit doesn't exist. Then can it equal zero?

Agnostic said:
No, an indeterminant form is something like [itex]\frac{0}{0}[/itex], or [itex]\frac{\infty}{\infty}[/itex], or [itex]1^{\infty}[/itex]. A non-existant limit is just a non-existant limit.

An indeterminate form is a "limit form" for which we don't have enough information to say what the limit really is, or if it exists. For example, [itex]\lim_{x \rightarrow 0} x/x[/itex] has the indeterminate form 0/0.

Its usually always silly mistakes :D
Thanks a lot guys..

Related to How do you test the convergence of i^n (imaginary number) or (-1)^n?

1. How do you test the convergence of i^n or (-1)^n?

The convergence of i^n or (-1)^n can be tested using the ratio test or the root test. These tests involve taking the limit of the absolute value of the ratio or root of the n+1 term over the nth term as n approaches infinity. If the limit is less than 1, the series is convergent. If the limit is greater than 1, the series is divergent. If the limit is equal to 1, the test is inconclusive and another test should be used.

2. What is the difference between the ratio test and the root test?

The ratio test and the root test are both used to test the convergence of a series. The main difference between these tests is the type of limit that is taken. The ratio test involves taking the limit of the ratio of the n+1 term over the nth term, while the root test involves taking the limit of the nth root of the absolute value of the n+1 term. Both tests use the same criteria for determining convergence or divergence.

3. Can the convergence of i^n or (-1)^n be tested using the comparison test?

No, the comparison test cannot be used to test the convergence of i^n or (-1)^n because these series involve imaginary numbers. The comparison test is used for real-valued series only. The ratio test or the root test should be used instead.

4. How do you know if the series of i^n or (-1)^n is absolutely convergent or conditionally convergent?

The series of i^n or (-1)^n is absolutely convergent if the series of the absolute values of i^n or (-1)^n is convergent. It is conditionally convergent if the series of i^n or (-1)^n is convergent but the series of the absolute values of i^n or (-1)^n is divergent. The absolute convergence or conditional convergence of these series can be determined using the ratio test or the root test.

5. Can the convergence of i^n or (-1)^n be determined using the integral test?

Yes, the convergence of i^n or (-1)^n can be determined using the integral test. This test involves comparing the series to an improper integral and using the comparison property of integrals to determine convergence or divergence. However, this test may not always be the most efficient method for testing convergence and other tests such as the ratio test or the root test may be more appropriate.