How Do You Transform Eigenvalues into Eigenfunctions in Quantum Mechanics?

In summary, the conversation is about a problem in quantum mechanics involving eigenstates and eigenvalues. The problem asks for representation of H(hat) and Ω(hat) in a matrix, finding eigenvalues and normalized eigenstates, and expressing |w1> and |w2> as linear combinations of |E1> and |E2>. The conversation also includes a question on finding eigenfunctions and normalizing them.
mattmatt321
I'm doing quantum mechanics with only a little experience in linear algebra. I've been working on eigenstates/values/functions/whatever for a couple days but still having a little trouble. Here's a question I had recently, and if anyone can do a quick check of my work and point me in the right direction, I'd appreciate it.

Homework Statement

The Hamiltonian operator for a system in 2-d vector space is iΔ(|w1><w2| - |w2><w1|). |w1> and |w2> are eigenstates of an observable operator Ω(hat).

Homework Equations

The problem asks me to do a bunch of things:
1) Represent H(hat) and Ω(hat) in a matrix in the basis |w1>,|w2>.
2) Find the eigenvalues E1 and E2 and the normalized eigenstates |E1> and |E2>.
3) Express |w1> and |w2> as linear combinations of |E1> and |E2>.
4) Finally, use this linear combination to express H(hat) and Ω(hat) in the basis |E1>,|E2>.

The Attempt at a Solution

Now, first I represented H(hat) as a matrix that looked like 0, iΔ (row 1) and -iΔ, 0 (row 2). I wasn't 100% sure how to do Ω(hat), but I figured the only non-zero values will be on the main diagonal, since we're representing it in the basis of its eigenstates.

Then, I solved for the eigenvalues and got E1 = -Δsqrt(2) and E2 = Δsqrt(2). This is the first area I got stuck -- I sort of "guessed" on how to get the eigenfunction from the eigenvalues. I think it involves solving a system of equations, but again, I'm pretty inexperienced with linear algebra.

In terms of making these eigenstates linear combinations of each other, I'm sure that means transform |w1> and |w2> into an additive combination of the new normalized eigenfunctions |E1>, |E2>. As long as I have |E1> and |E2> this seems straightforward enough.

So, I suppose if anyone can provide a straightforward method to transforming an eigenvalue into an eigenfunction and normalize it, it would be a huge help. Thanks for reading, and for all the help in the past.

EDIT: I guess this wasn't really a "quick" question in the end, sorry. But I feel like most of the helpers on PF can probably shed some light on this in about a sentence or two.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Let A be a matrix and x an eigenvector of A. Then you know that Axx. Rearranging a bit, you get (A-λI)x=0, where I is the identity matrix. This is the system you want to solve to find x.

For example, say you have the matrix

[tex]A=\begin{pmatrix}1 & 2 \\ 2 & 1\end{pmatrix}[/tex]

which have eigenvalues λ1=-1 and λ2=3. The first eigenvector satisfies

[tex](A-\lambda I)\vec{x} = \begin{pmatrix}1-(-1) & 2 \\ 2 & 1-(-1)\end{pmatrix}\vec{x} = \begin{pmatrix}2 & 2 \\ 2 & 2\end{pmatrix}\vec{x} = 0[/tex]

This yields one independent equation 2x+2y=0. So just arbitrarily set one of the variables to 1 and solve for the other. In this case, you get x=1 and y=-1. You can verify this indeed is an eigenvector by multiplying it into the original matrix:

[tex]\begin{pmatrix}1 & 2 \\ 2 & 1\end{pmatrix}\begin{pmatrix} 1 \\ -1\end{pmatrix} = \begin{pmatrix} -1 \\ 1 \end{pmatrix} = (-1)\begin{pmatrix}1 \\ -1\end{pmatrix}[/tex]

and verifying the result is the vector multiplied by the eigenvalue.

To normalize the vector, just divide it by its length:

[tex]\|\vec{x}\| = \sqrt{(1)^2+(-1)^2} = \sqrt{2}[/tex]

So

[tex]\hat{x} = \frac{\vec{x}}{\|\vec{x}\|} = \begin{pmatrix} 1/\sqrt{2} \\ -1/\sqrt{2}\end{pmatrix}[/tex].

Related to How Do You Transform Eigenvalues into Eigenfunctions in Quantum Mechanics?

1. What are eigenfunctions?

An eigenfunction is a mathematical function that, when operated on by a linear operator, yields a scalar multiple of itself. In other words, the function is unchanged except for a scaling factor.

2. How are eigenfunctions used in science?

Eigenfunctions are used in many areas of science, particularly in quantum mechanics and signal processing. They are used to help understand the behavior of physical systems and to analyze data.

3. What is the significance of eigenfunctions?

Eigenfunctions are significant because they represent the special functions that describe the behavior of a particular system. They are also useful for simplifying complex mathematical problems.

4. Can you give an example of an eigenfunction?

One example of an eigenfunction is the sine function, which is an eigenfunction of the derivative operator. When the derivative operator is applied to the sine function, the resulting function is a scalar multiple of the original sine function.

5. How are eigenfunctions related to eigenvalues?

Eigenvalues are the scalar multiples that are associated with eigenfunctions. They represent the scaling factor that the eigenfunction is multiplied by when operated on by a linear operator. In many cases, the eigenvalue determines important characteristics of the system, such as the frequency of oscillation.