How do you use the mode to find x% of y?

• Thread starter semidevil
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Mode
In this problem, however, it is not clear to me whether the mode and the mean are the same for the normal distribution. The statement of the problem needs to be cleaned up. In summary, the problem involves a normal distribution of test scores with a mode of 55%. If 75% of the students scored 65 or below, this means that 25% of the distribution is between 55 and 65. The mode in a normal distribution is equal to the mean, and the standard deviation can vary. It is not clear if the mode and mean are the same in this problem. For continuous densities, the mode is the value where the maximum of the density function is attained, and the probability of a specific outcome is
semidevil

Homework Statement

Test scores are normally distributed. The mode of the score is 55%. If 75% of the students scored 65, what % of student scored 85?

2. Homework Equations and attempt at solution

Scores being normally distributed, I know that as the 'bell curve (that means the curve is distributed with mean 0, variance 1).'

I also know 'mode' is the peak of the bell curve, since mode is the most people who scored a 55.

I really don't know where and how to proceed from there.

25% of the students scored 65, I can do (x - 65)/ standard deviation = .25% (or phi .68). I get x = 65.68 students.

So around 66 of students scored 65...right?

What's the next step? I don't know how to use the mode in this problem.

Physics news on Phys.org
semidevil said:

Homework Statement

Test scores are normally distributed. The mode of the score is 55%. If 75% of the students scored 65, what % of student scored 85?

I don't understand your statement of the problem. If 75% of the students scored 65, the mode couldn't be 55 because there are only 25% of the students left.

semidevil said:

Homework Statement

2. Homework Equations and attempt at solution

Scores being normally distributed, I know that as the 'bell curve (that means the curve is distributed with mean 0, variance 1).'

I also know 'mode' is the peak of the bell curve, since mode is the most people who scored a 55.

I really don't know where and how to proceed from there.

25% of the students scored 65, I can do (x - 65)/ standard deviation = .25% (or phi .68). I get x = 65.68 students.

So around 66 of students scored 65...right?

What's the next step? I don't know how to use the mode in this problem.

Your understanding of the "bell curve" is wrong: it just means that the distribution is normal. The mean need not be 0 and the variance need not be 1.

In addition to what Ray and LCKurtz have already said, I suspect that the problem statement is incomplete or wrong.
semidevil said:

If 75% of the students scored 65, how can the mode possibly be 55%? The mode is the score that occurs most often.

Is the 3rd sentence in what I quoted the exact statement or are some words missing? It would make more sense if it said something like this: "If 75% of the students scored 65 or below, ..."

yes, thank you. your right. I'm trying to remember a problem that I encountered and I thought those were the right numbers, but apparently, they are not.

so with that in mind, I guess what I'm more after is what the mode has to do with the problem and how it can be used to find the probability that x% of people scored y. I know that mode is the one that occurs the most, but besides that, I don't know what to do with it.

In a normal distribution, the mode equals the mean, so here the mean is 55. (Let's drop the % business for the scores for the sake of simplicity.)

If 75% of the students scored 65 or below ("or below" is my assumption as to what the problem is saying), then this says that 25% of the distribution is between 55 and 65. This gives you some idea of what the standard deviation is, which as Ray already said, doesn't have to be 1.

In the standard normal distibution, the mean is 0 and the standard deviation is 1. In a normal distribution, the mean and standard distribution can be whatever.

Your textbook might have approximate ranges for how much of a normal distribution is within 1 standard deviation of the mean, two s.d. of the mean, and so on.

thanks! that is exactly what I needed. I did not know that the mode equals the mean in this situation!

semidevil said:
yes, thank you. your right. I'm trying to remember a problem that I encountered and I thought those were the right numbers, but apparently, they are not.

so with that in mind, I guess what I'm more after is what the mode has to do with the problem and how it can be used to find the probability that x% of people scored y. I know that mode is the one that occurs the most, but besides that, I don't know what to do with it.

There is a difference between continuous densities and discrete probability functions. For continuous densities, you don't talk about x% of the people scoring y. The probability that anyone scores a particular value is 0. For the discrete case, the mode is indeed the outcome occurring most frequently. For a continuous density the mode is the value ##x## where the maximum of the density function is attained. The probability of the outcome ##x## is zero, unlike the discrete case. In the continuous case you are interested in the probability of the outcome being in some interval, not some particular value.

Related to How do you use the mode to find x% of y?

1. What is the mode and how is it used to find x% of y?

The mode is a measure of central tendency that represents the most frequently occurring value in a set of data. To use the mode to find x% of y, you would first need to determine the mode of the data set. Then, you would multiply the mode by x% (or x/100) to get the desired percentage of the mode. Finally, you would multiply this value by y to find x% of y.

2. Can the mode be used to find x% of y in any type of data set?

Yes, the mode can be used to find x% of y in any type of data set. However, it is most useful for data that is skewed or has a large number of outliers, as it is less affected by extreme values compared to other measures of central tendency such as the mean or median.

3. What is an example of using the mode to find x% of y?

For example, if you have a data set of test scores with the following values: 80, 85, 75, 90, 75, 85, 90, 95. The mode of this data set is 85, as it occurs twice while all other values only occur once. To find 20% of the mode (85), you would first multiply 85 by 0.2 to get 17. Then, if you wanted to find 20% of 100 (y), you would multiply 17 by 100 to get 1700. Therefore, 20% of 100 is 1700.

4. How does using the mode to find x% of y differ from using the mean or median?

Using the mode to find x% of y differs from using the mean or median in that it is not influenced by the values of extreme outliers. The mean is affected by extreme values, as it takes into account all values in the data set. The median is also influenced by extreme values, as it is the middle value in an ordered data set. However, the mode represents the most frequently occurring value and is not affected by extreme values.

5. Can the mode be used to find x% of y for non-numerical data?

Yes, the mode can also be used to find x% of y for non-numerical data. For example, if you have a data set of colors with the following values: red, blue, green, blue, yellow, red, blue. The mode of this data set is blue, as it occurs three times while all other values only occur once. To find 25% of the mode (blue), you would first multiply 25% by 3 to get 0.75. Then, if you wanted to find 25% of 100 (y), you would multiply 0.75 by 100 to get 75. Therefore, 25% of 100 is 75 blue objects in this data set.