How do you write chemical formulas for ionic compounds?

• Thread starter ncmm16
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Formulas
In summary, to make a formula using given anion and cation, write the charges of the cation and anion as subscripts, ignoring the plus and minus signs. The resulting molecule must be uncharged. For example, for Al(3+) and SO4(2-), the formula would be Al2(SO4)3.
ncmm16
So its the beginning of chemistry and I don't know how to make formulas. BUT its very important I learn now otherwise I will have a very hard year...

For ex:
It says, "Fill in the correct formulas for the given anion and cation."

SO2-4 and Al3+ (how do i combine those two to make a formula)

Another ex:
Al3+ and Cr2O2-7
PLEASE EXPLAIN HOW TO DO THESE.

Thanks so much for any help:)!

Chemistry news on Phys.org
The resulting molecule must be uncharged.
So if you have Al(3+) and SO4(2-) you need to find how many 3+ you need to combine with how many 2- to get zero.
This is just a least common multiple elementary school maths problem.
In this case the LCM is 6, so 2*(3+) and 3*(2-) =0 giving Al2(SO4)3

Write out the cation and the anion with their charges. For your second example, this would be written as Al[tex]^{3+}[/tex]Cr[tex]_{2}[/tex]O[tex]_{7}[/tex][tex]^{2-}[/tex]. Then write the charge of the cation as the subscript of the anion, and vice versa, ignoring the plus and minus of course. It then looks like Al[tex]_{2}[/tex](Cr[tex]_{2}[/tex]O[tex]_{7}[/tex])[tex]_{3}[/tex]. This is basically what mgb phys said, only it's a quicker (and many people starting chemistry find it easier) way to do it. It's also important to note that if you have charges like 4+ and 2-, you must simplify it to 2 and 1 when you write the subscripts.

EDIT: When I wrote the subscripts they came up as superscripts for some reason. Hopefully you can still tell what I meant.

FAQ: How do you write chemical formulas for ionic compounds?

1. How do you determine the formula for a chemical compound?

The formula for a chemical compound is determined by analyzing the elements present in the substance and their relative proportions. This can be done through experiments and observations, as well as using tools such as mass spectrometry and nuclear magnetic resonance.

2. What is the process for finding the formula for a mathematical equation?

The process for finding the formula for a mathematical equation involves identifying patterns and relationships between the variables and their values. This can be done through trial and error, using algebraic methods, or by graphing the data to visually see the relationship.

3. How do you find the formula for a geometric shape?

The formula for a geometric shape can be found by analyzing its properties, such as the number of sides, angles, and symmetry. These properties can then be used to create a general formula that applies to all instances of that particular shape.

4. What is the importance of knowing formulas in science?

Knowing formulas is crucial in science as they provide a concise and precise way to describe and understand natural phenomena. They also allow for predictions and calculations, making it easier to analyze and interpret data.

5. How do you remember and apply formulas effectively?

To remember and apply formulas effectively, it is important to understand the underlying concepts and principles behind them. Practice and repetition also help in retaining the formulas in memory. Visualization techniques and mnemonic devices can also aid in remembering formulas. It is also important to regularly review and apply the formulas in different contexts to reinforce understanding and application.

Back