How Do You Write Net Ionic Equations for These Reactions?

In summary, net ionic equations are a type of chemical reaction equation that only shows the species that are involved in the actual reaction. This means that spectator ions, which do not participate in the reaction, are not included in the equation. Net ionic equations are useful for simplifying complex reactions and focusing on the key substances involved. They can also be used to determine the products of a reaction by canceling out common ions on both sides of the equation.
vsage
The directions say to give the net ionic equation for the principal reaction. I did the first couple right (I think) but don't know how to proceed: (the part by the number is the question and my answer is 2 spaces below)

1. NH4Ac(aq) + HCl(aq) -> ?

H+ + AC- -> HAc

2. NH4F(s) + HCl(aq) -> ?

NH4F(s) + H+ -> F-(aq) + NH4+(aq)

3. (NH4)2SO4(aq) + H2CO3(aq) -> ?

Don't know, H2CO3 is a weak acid but I don't know whether to write it on the products side as a weak acid or write it in ion form. Sulfates are soluble in water so that should break up into its ions

4. H2S(aq) + NH3(aq) (excess) -> ?

I don't know the signifiance of (excess). H2S is a weak acid so I once again don't know how to write it in a net ionic equation.

5. H3PO4(aq) + NH3(aq) (excess) -> ?

Since phosphates are soluble in water when combined with group 1 elements, I guessed that it breaks up into its ions yielding the equation H+(aq) + NH3(aq) -> NH4+(aq)

6. H3 PO4(aq) (excess) + NH3(aq) -> ?

I don't know why excess would make it any different. So basically what I'm asking through these questions is

a. What does an excess of one reactant have to do with anything?
b. Are weak acids written on both sides of the equation in molecular (as opposed to ionic) form? Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org

a. An excess of one reactant means that there is more of that reactant present than is needed for the reaction to occur. This can affect the overall reaction and the products that are formed. In some cases, the excess reactant may not participate in the reaction at all.

b. Weak acids are typically written on both sides of the equation in molecular form. However, in a net ionic equation, they may be written in ion form if they are in solution and can dissociate into ions. This depends on the specific reaction and the strength of the acid.

a. An excess of one reactant means that there is more of that reactant present than needed for the reaction to occur. It does not change the overall reaction, but it may affect the amount of products formed.
b. Weak acids can be written in both molecular and ionic form in a net ionic equation. It depends on the specific reaction and what is being emphasized. In general, it is more common to write weak acids in their ionic form in net ionic equations.

Related to How Do You Write Net Ionic Equations for These Reactions?

1. What is a net ionic equation?

A net ionic equation is a chemical equation that only includes the species that actually participate in a reaction, rather than all of the ions present in a solution. It shows the essential chemical changes that occur during a reaction.

2. How is a net ionic equation different from a complete ionic equation?

In a complete ionic equation, all of the ions present in a solution are written out, while in a net ionic equation, spectator ions (ions that do not participate in the reaction) are excluded. This makes the net ionic equation more concise and focused on the essential components of the reaction.

3. When should I write a net ionic equation?

A net ionic equation should be written for reactions that occur in aqueous solutions, where ions are present. It is especially useful for reactions between strong electrolytes, where all of the reactants and products are completely ionized in solution.

4. How do you balance a net ionic equation?

The same principles of balancing a chemical equation apply to net ionic equations. Begin by writing out the unbalanced equation, then balance the atoms on both sides by adding coefficients. Finally, check to make sure the charges are balanced on both sides.

5. Why is writing net ionic equations important in chemistry?

Writing net ionic equations is important because it allows us to focus on the essential chemical changes that occur during a reaction and understand the underlying principles of the reaction. It also helps us determine the products of a reaction and calculate the quantities of substances involved.